Bf4 And Fx 8320

No man, you are BS.  There is something wrong with your system, and it is not the processor.

The guy with the i5 and 760 is getting better and more consistent FPS than you.  Signs point to your system.

I set my i5 back to stock 3.5Ghz and it was consistently feeding 60fps non-stop pegged at 94-99% usage.

A lot of people with i5's and 8350's reported the same issue. They reported the issue because they expected more. They're not getting more because they were told they don't need an i7 for BF4.

Well BF4 does benefit from i7's. In fact it requires an i7 if you wish 70+ fps in CPU-bound situations.

There's nothing wrong with my system. Everything else works fine. This is the only game that uses 100% of my CPU. It's just an extremely CPU heavy game.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

A lot of people with i5's and 8350's reported the same issue. They reported the issue because they expected more. They're not getting more because they were told they don't need an i7 for BF4.

Well BF4 does benefit from i7's. In fact it requires an i7 if you wish 70+ fps in CPU-bound situations.

There's nothing wrong with my system. Everything else works fine. This is the only game that uses 100% of my CPU. It's just an extremely CPU heavy game.

You're one of a kind buddy.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The guy with the i5 and 760 is getting better and more consistent FPS than you.  Signs point to your system.

BF4 players tend to exaggerate their performance, so I'm not surprised. They be like "I'm getting 60 fps with 660Ti on Ultra". Yeah right. It's not a fps contest, let's be real. 

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

BF4 players tend to exaggerate their performance, so I'm not surprised. They be like "I'm getting 60 fps with 660Ti on Ultra". Yeah right. It's not a fps contest, let's be real. 

Yup, total exaggeration.

QbPoqGQ.png

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

@Faceman

Nice. I can do that too. You keep ignoring the fact that I'm talking about CPU-bound moments in the game.

Consistent max GPU load is due to maxed out settings. Your GPU is stressed so much that it can't produce more fps, even if your CPU could.

@Faceman

Nice. I can do that too. You keep ignoring the fact that I'm talking about CPU-bound moments in the game.

Consistent max GPU load is due to maxed out settings. Your GPU is stressed so much that it can't produce more fps, even if your CPU could

You're absolutely clueless.

Donezo.

You're absolutely clueless.

Donezo.

Please do enlighten me. I'd appreciate it.

@Faceman

Ok so first of all, you're playing TDM. That might be the reason why you get such good results. Don't you think there's less stuff going on than in Conquest Large mode? Second, your settings are maxed out, which means more work for the GPU, less work for the CPU. You wouldn't see a gap between the yellow and green line because it's more of a GPU-dependent situation. But the GPU is hitting it's limit at about the same framerate as your CPU is.

Hence the consistent GPU usage.

Where am I wrong here? I'd appreciate if you told me. We're all here cause we love gaming and tech, right? :)

@Faceman

Ok so first of all, you're playing TDM. That might be the reason why you get such good results. Don't you think there's less stuff going on than in Conquest Large mode? Second, your settings are maxed out, which means more work for the GPU, less work for the CPU. You wouldn't see a gap between the yellow and green line because it's more of a GPU-dependent situation. But the GPU is hitting it's limit at about the same framerate as your CPU is.

Where am I wrong here? I'd appreciate if you told me. We're all here cause we love gaming and tech, right? :)

you are correct.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@Faceman

I can show you that i get 70+ fps in bf4 on 64 player maps, with all slots taken up, things are happening constantly and whatnot. I can show you it if it makes you feel any better

@Faceman

So before I debunk your bottleneck theory, why are you waiting to give us all of the information?  I have been asking for your settings for a long time, which you still haven't given. You should have told us from the start that you meant Conquest.  Are you not running at max everything with 100% resolution scale?  Also, 100% resolution scale is not maxed out, it goes all the way up to 200%.  I generally play at 120% with Vsync on, but for the sake of correcting you, I went with max everything, 100% resolution scale, and running at only 4.2Ghz.  My GPU is worse than yours, and I have a lower CPU clock speed.

You are right that playing Conquest does drop FPS by a considerable amount, but not to the point where I'm being bottlenecked.  Before I delve into conquest, lets go back to TDM.

Vsync=OFF, TDM.  Lines = together

QbPoqGQ.png

Vsync=ON, TDM, lines = apart.  So, according to you, when I turn Vsync on, I am experiencing a CPU bottleneck?  Makes no sense.

WxYdV73.png

Next I will try Conquest:

Conquest, Vsync=OFF, Lines = Together

HCn4YI7.png

Conquest, Vsync=ON, Lines = Apart

PpiRzri.png

I don't know what is going on with your system, but I don't have the same problem as you.

So before I debunk your bottleneck theory, why are you waiting to give us all of the information?  I have been asking for your settings for a long time, which you still haven't given. You should have told us from the start that you meant Conquest.  Are you not running at max everything with 100% resolution scale?  Also, 100% resolution scale is not maxed out, it goes all the way up to 200%.  I generally play at 120% with Vsync on, but for the sake of correcting you, I went with max everything, 100% resolution scale, and running at only 4.2Ghz.  My GPU is worse than yours, and I have a lower CPU clock speed.

You are right that playing Conquest does drop FPS by a considerable amount, but not to the point where I'm being bottlenecked.  Before I delve into conquest, lets go back to TDM.

Vsync=OFF, TDM.  Lines = together

QbPoqGQ.png

Vsync=ON, TDM, lines = apart.  So, according to you, when I turn Vsync on, I am experiencing a CPU bottleneck?  Makes no sense.

WxYdV73.png

Next I will try Conquest:

Conquest, Vsync=OFF, Lines = Together

HCn4YI7.png

Conquest, Vsync=ON, Lines = Apart

PpiRzri.png

I don't know what is going on with your system, but I don't have the same problem as you.

You're playing TDM. There's less stuff going on than in Conquest Large or Rush mode. Your settings are maxed out, which removes the CPU bottleneck effect to some extent. Also, since TDM isn't so CPU heavy both your CPU and GPU are hitting their max at the framerate you're getting. If it were CPU heavy like conquest large of rush, you'd be seeing those 2 lines separated even at max settings sometimes, and of course you would be getting less than 100 fps. Lower the settings and the CPU bottleneck becomes even more apparent, again, at less than 100 fps.

In test range (ultra settings, 2xMSAA, post aa off, high effects) my lines are close to each other, sometimes they even merge. At low settings, fps goes to around 200 and the yellow line is above the green one. So I guess you could always lower the settings to create a CPU bottleneck, but it isn't a problem at 140+ fps.

With vsync on you are deliberately creating a bottleneck effect. The GPU renders what CPU tells it, and it's told to render 60 fps. Avg GPU frames time is so low that it can render much more fps, but it doesn't, because it's being held back by the CPU. In those 2 cases it wasn't because CPU hit it's limit, but because you told it to push 60 fps.

In the screenshot I posted I'm gettings 65 fps while the GPU can produce 30 fps more. But the fps is uncapped, so it's because CPU hit it's max at around 65. There was something going on that CPU couldn't handle that + push over 70 fps at the same time. But my GPU could, even though it was both CPU and GPU dependent situation, because the settings were 1920x1080 (100%), AA off, 2xMSAA, High effects, everything else ultra. If I maxed those settings, or increased the resolution, GPU would need more time to render frames, so the fps it could render would be lower and it wouldn't be able to push additional 30 fps like before, which means the lines would be closer to each other.

Your CPU might not bottleneck all the time, but in CPU dependent moments in the game. Check these vids: #1 and #2 (time coded links). See how there's a huge gap between the lines? If you watched the rest of the video you'd see that most of the time it's not that bad. But at times it is, and it's due to the CPU.
For me, I'd say 50% of the time those 2 lines are close, 30-40% of the time there is a gap between them, which does mean bottleneck, but it's usually at framerates higher than 70, and 10-20% of the time huge gap like here. How often that happens depends on the game mode, map, amount of players, your play style. That SS was taken on 64p server Rush mode. When that happens I can lower graphics settings to low, framerate doesn't increase. That's a sign of a CPU bottleneck. That's what the graph says. And that's what the CPU and GPU loads say. 

The point is that even the best i5's, in CPU-heavy games like BF4 (and there'll be more in the future) bottleneck high-end GPUs at framerates higher than 60, meaning you shouldn't even consider anything slower than that, and your options are limited so such GPU might not reach its potential, let alone SLI/CF.