redecorating my pc for the 780

i don't know if i would like the green either but what do you think about changing the rings from green to grey. i may try that in a couple of days. 

I suppose grey wouldn't look bad, it'd suit the rest of the components, but then you wouldn't be redesigning your rig for the 780, you'd just be redesigning it.

Just looking at your case I'm struggling to find things that'd suit the green theme, so maybe painting them grey might suit the build better..

It's all your choice, but my two cents would be that getting green RAM (and getting rid the of the cooler too), getting a new watercooler (this is if you really want to go all out) - as im pretty sure there are some coolers out there where you can customize the colour of the CPU block.. I'd also think about green LED strips that aren't overkill, but give a nice affect...

afterall, i think Linus said in one of his videos that you don't want to make it overly green as it'll take away the effect of the 780's green lighting.

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

I don't know how that'd fit... the current design includes only a few bits green and majortiy black.. yeah, green could go there, but would it look better? IMO, prolly not..

I think the ram fan housing should match the fan rings.. It kinda sets off the whole case.. I painted my hyperx ram fan housing white to match my build.. Although white is a lot easier to match then green so who knows how my theory will look with green.. :)

(this is if you really want to go all out) 

oh I will go all out. yes...yes i will...

I'm moving to Texas very soon because I got a promotion. I'm moving all the way from Florida. I should be there in about a monthand a half. I'm getting a significant raise and that will help. until then I'm stuck working with what I've got(which isn't bad).  

quote: (and getting rid the of the cooler too)

man I've had that cooler for months and never used it because i didn't like it the first time i installed it. its just too loud. but it does cover up the red RAM pretty good so for now it's serving its purpose.

I don't think you should paint the housing for the ramsink fans,though painting the ram sink fans could look cool,as it wouldn't overpower it and green fans would look pretty sick moving.

I like the green rings,though if you don't sand them down and paint them,I mean you'll have to live with it, not us.

also is the ram housing crooked?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I don't think you should paint the housing for the ramsink fans,though painting the ram sink fans could look cool,as it wouldn't overpower it and green fans would look pretty sick moving.

I like the green rings,though if you don't sand them down and paint them,I mean you'll have to live with it, not us.

also is the ram housing crooked?

Though I think painting the fans on the ram cooler would look cool I've read that painting fans can cause them to become unbalanced and an unbalanced fan is a loud fan.

I thought about the rings and I have 2 other sets blue & red. I could paint one set of those grey and just See what that looks like instead of sanding the green ones down.

The RAM Cooler Maybe crooked. I straightened it but the mount for it is not very good. It just doesn't get tight enough. The tubing from the H 100 is pushing against it and the vibration from the fans are making it move a little. hopefully I can upgrade my RAM soon and take that thing out. I don't really like it that much.

yeah try the grey rings :)

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Though I think painting the fans on the ram cooler would look cool I've read that painting fans can cause them to become unbalanced and an unbalanced fan is a loud fan.

I thought about the rings and I have 2 other sets blue & red. I could paint one set of those grey and just See what that looks like instead of sanding the green ones down.

The RAM Cooler Maybe crooked. I straightened it but the mount for it is not very good. It just doesn't get tight enough. The tubing from the H 100 is pushing against it and the vibration from the fans are making it move a little. hopefully I can upgrade my RAM soon and take that thing out. I don't really like it that much.

you could try dying it instead.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

yeah try the grey rings :)

I'm off in a couple of days. I'll try it then. my PCIE extensions should be here by then. I also orderd a green sleeving Kit, I'm thinking of sleeving one cable on each PCIE, 24-pin and 8-pin power cables to give them a little more of a custom look.

I don't know how to do that. I'll look it up. what about painting the RAMsinks? I wonder how hard that would be

I don't know how to do that. I'll look it up. what about painting the RAMsinks? I wonder how hard that would be

I'm really sorry for double posting, I'm using my phone and its not working like I want

it to.

I'm really sorry for double posting, I'm using my phone and its not working like I want

it to.

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=35185

as to the ram sticks,if your confident that you can get an even color on the ram sticks go for it,personally I don't think I could do it though.

Linus Sebastian said:

http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=35185

as to the ram sticks,if your confident that you can get an even color on the ram sticks go for it,personally I don't think I could do it though.

hey thats kinda cool with the dye. i may try that. as for the RAM I want to upgrade to 16gigs at 1866 anyway so I'll just wait till then and get a better color. 

my extensions finally came in and ive been working on them. heres the stuff that came in and the tools im using

DPP_0084_zpsb7899d40.jpg

heres what they look like out of the package

DPP_0085_zpsd7ad949d.jpg

i used this molex to 6 pin pcie adapter to practice sleeving with. if your like me and a first time sleever then i highly recommend practicing on something like this before taking on a power supply or extensions as its not as easy as some people make it out to be. dont get me wrong i think im getting the hang of it and i can tell the more i sleeve the easier it will be but at first it was kind of a pain in the rear.

DPP_0086_zps638b16e2.jpg

here im just showing what happened when i was practicing. i had to figure out how long to cut the heat shrink so it would match the existing cables on the extension.

DPP_0088_zpseaa9038f.jpg

DPP_0090_zpsf8e689d7.jpg

i also bought a green cold cathode light and a fan controller for that ram cooler thats sooo loud. here they are.

DPP_0093_zpsfca978a5.jpg

i got fed up the first night and gave up on the sleeving. the next day i dont know i just dove back in and started doing it.

DPP_0096_zps076f4bb3.jpg

DPP_0102_zps378a285c.jpg

by the way this sleeving is TERRIBLE. do not buy this garbage. the heat shrink that came with it was way too big and the sleeving itself is plastic. im hoping when i order some from frozen cpu or mnpc it will be much better.

also Roswill cable extensions are horrible. almost too short and the sleeving is not tight. some of the sleeving was starting to come out of the heat shrink with just a little tug.

i kind of figured this would happen because it was all very very cheap but i figured that it would be better to practice on something cheap just to learn and i was right. if i had messed these up then i wouldn't care because it didn't cost me that much.

i know its not perfect or the best but i think they came out OK. i will be getting a modular psu very soon in the future and will be sleeving all the cables with better material now that i kind of know whats going on. i will be getting better tools as well. heh.]

wow i just realized that i forgot to take out the white LED's that i put in there before. i also really need to change out that front fan. the red just clashes big time. does anyone know which cable to cut to turn off the led on the fan. that would help.

heres the switch for the cold cathode light i put in

DPP_0126_zps808c559e.jpg

heres what it looks like right now with the white led's off. heh i still cant believe i forgot to turn those off.

DPP_0127_zps468bd038.jpg

DPP_0128_zpsdcd8eb02.jpg

DPP_0130_zpsc77b0ed4.jpg

DPP_0131_zps13a90114.jpg

DPP_0132_zpsbe1ed622.jpg

DPP_0133_zpsd7340636.jpg

DPP_0134_zpse8f60cb3.jpg

DPP_0135_zps8610fecf.jpg

DPP_0136_zps14307bf3.jpg

DPP_0137_zpsb52eabe2.jpg

i still need to get rid of that front red fan. i also need to find a way to change that led in the phoebus sound card to green. does anyone know how to do stuff like that?

i finally hooked up the third monitor. i dont know why i didn't before. just laziness i guess :P

DPP_0138_zps015240ea.jpg

DPP_0139_zps8101565a.jpg

DPP_0140_zps3798808b.jpg

DPP_0141_zps58a3b233.jpg

im still not done. i plan on getting some more heat shrink and doing the same sleeving to the 24-pin and the 8-pin power cables. i think that will work until i get a new psu, then a new case, then a new cpu cooler then..... the list goes on and on and on hah

good job! love the painting of the corsair sp rings to florescent green.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

I like the sleeving, looks good and suits it :P, and yeah getting a fan controller for that RAM heatsink must cut down on alot of noise! as for cutting the LED, I'm not entirely sure what cable it'd be, but you could just replace the whole fan with a green LED fan?

edit: you could also try putting in some floor lighting, making it totally light up all parts of your internals :D

Spoiler

good job! love the painting of the corsair sp rings to florescent green.

Freakin SWEET job man!

thanks a lot guys.

I like the sleeving, looks good and suits it :P, and yeah getting a fan controller for that RAM heatsink must cut down on alot of noise! as for cutting the LED, I'm not entirely sure what cable it'd be, but you could just replace the whole fan with a green LED fan?

edit: you could also try putting in some floor lighting, making it totally light up all parts of your internals :D

yes im totally getting another light. i bought it just to see how it would look and i likey. im going to get another fan for the front but im also getting another fan, or 2 for the top. reason; because i cant put the light in the top because the 190mm fan in the top is blocking the whole roof. im thinking it will work alot better if i put the light in the roof and another one at the bottom. fan controller worked great. i don't even hear it over the other fans anymore. im going to do a little more sleeving on the 24 pin and the 8 pin power cables. im also thinking about sleeving the fan cables for the h100 and get rid of the plastic cover thats on them now. i dont yet maybe. i would have already done that but i ran out of heat shrink. im trying to figure out a way to change the light for the phoebus card too. i think i might have an idea but i will try it out on my days off this weekend.

ok so im back with an update. i sleeved the 24-pin connector and changed the phoebus card color to green. check it out

IMG_1373_zpsbad66de0.jpg

IMG_1374_zps4a91c155.jpg

IMG_1375_zps59744c37.jpg

IMG_1376_zps9ea739a3.jpg

IMG_1377_zps5ec4ff18.jpg

IMG_1380_zpsb2808208.jpg

IMG_1381_zps6e0cade9.jpg

IMG_1382_zps5c999e96.jpg

IMG_1383_zps24d560d1.jpg

its getting there thats for sure! im going to try to go pick up some new 140mm fans and another light tomorrow so i can change out the front red fan. if you want to know how i changed to color of the phoebus card to green you can check out my post in the mod section. its here go check it out it was kind of interesting i think anyway. stay tuned for more from your host.,,, Hardware Junky Joe!

i got another update;

the other night i got bored and decided to tear down my entire pc and clean it. it hasn't been cleaned in awhile and it had quit a bit of dust in it.  i also reran all the cable management and made a few other adjustments. check it out

i broke the cold cathode light when i took it out. i dont know it just wouldn't turn back on when i tried to put it back in so i bought some LED strips from auto zone and put them in

IMG_1420_zpsd000dfad.jpg

IMG_1421_zps454f0e1c.jpg

IMG_1422_zps3340d825.jpg

i cut the wires to the red led lights to the front fan so no more red light on the front

IMG_1424_zps89a93198.jpg

IMG_1427_zpsf140f713.jpg

i also installed some LED lights on the back so it would be a little easier to see where to plug stuff in. very very useful!

IMG_1423_zps2efb271c.jpg

if you didn't already notice i made a "the way its meant to be played" sticker for the power supply. i also took out the plastic bottom and opened that up after i cleaned up all the cables. i also added more fans to the h100 for a push/pull configuration!

IMG_1430_zps1ef301b7.jpg

IMG_1431_zpsf70e6b96.jpg

IMG_1433_zps00181088.jpg

IMG_1434_zpsb2e825ba.jpg

IMG_1435_zps68717a28.jpg

i think its looking A LOT better! I'm still not done so keep checking back and stay tuned heh