redecorating my pc for the 780

heres what i have right now. you can scroll down to see how i got there and see a lot more pics! im still not done and will be updating as i continue this never ending project.

IMG_1430_zps1ef301b7.jpg

whats up guys i just got the gtx 780 and i decided to change up my case a little. before i had the 6970 with a stock cooler on it and everything was red and black. it was sweet but now that i've got the 780 its green and looks a little odd so im changing up the color scheme a little. my mother board is black and grey so that helps alot. heres what it used to look like.

gtx780_zps15139673.jpg

what im going to do is pretty simple. im going to use a corsair memory cooler that ive had forever and just never installed to cover up the red memory and im going to take the extra white rings for the corsair fans i have on my radiator and paint them green. i have some pcie extensions coming in the mail as well. maybe ill sleeve them in awhile or something. i dont know yet.

DPP_0002_zpsb0b1a169.jpg

heres the paint i bought for the fan rings. i dont know if it will work but the lady at home depot said it will stick to plastic so it should.

DPP_0004_zpsb298987d.jpg

ive got the first coat on the rings here. wish me luck

DPP_0014_zps5b4f3e04.jpg

heres my specs if anyone cares 

cpu amd 8320

h100 cooler

8gb ddr3 1600 memory

gigabyte 990fxa ud3 motherboard

xonar phoebus sound card

geforce gtx 780 gpu

geforce gts 450 gpu for a dedicated physics card(which ill probably just take out)

120gb kingston ssd

3 500gb seagate barracuda hdd

thermaltake TR2 700 watt psu

thermaltake spedo full tower case

asus 24" 144hz monitor

razer black widow 2013 keyboard

razer mamba mouse

if anyone has any other ideas on what i can do to add a few more green accents that would be great. im not really into the whole led colored lights. i already have white led's in the case and thats just to light it up so i can see everthing in its glory. i could also use some advice on cable management as you can probably see in the pic.  im gonna post more today as i work on it.

You should sleeve those PCI cables ASAP because they are killing the looks of your rig man.

This, or at least get some extensions. My CM Silent Pro doesn't have the best sleeving in the world, but at least it doesn't stand out soooo much. 

:)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

You should sleeve those PCI cables ASAP because they are killing the looks of your rig man.

This, or at least get some extensions. My CM Silent Pro doesn't have the best sleeving in the world, but at least it doesn't stand out soooo much. 

:)

i have them ordered. i said that in the original post guys. later i may sleeve the extensions. or i may just get a corsair psu. they come with better cables on some of their models like the corsair cx750.

i have them ordered. i said that in the original post guys. later i may sleeve the extensions. or i may just get a corsair psu. they come with better cables on some of their models like the corsair cx750.

My bad, didn't see sentence in between pictures :P I have the cx750m though and the PCI cables are like ribbon style but you can buy a kit form their website for super cheap that looks pretty good.

My bad, didn't see sentence in between pictures :P I have the cx750m though and the PCI cables are like ribbon style but you can buy a kit form their website for super cheap that looks pretty good.

in this kit that you speak of. are they like extensions or are they made just for modular psu's? do you have a link?

what card is below the gtx 780?

550 ti?

and why is it installed?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

what card is below the gtx 780?

550 ti?

and why is it installed?

its a geforce gts 450. i have it in there for a dedicated physx card but im probably going to take it out as i mentioned in the op. its only adding about 3 FPS on my games and i think its because its just not enough power and the 780 handles the physx just as good by itself. im going to do some more testing before i take it out though.

nice that makes for more options when i get a new psu. my old psu died and i had to get one in a pinch so i picked up the one ive got just so i could get back up and running. its been working fine and thats why i havent bought a new one. other than the ugly ass cables its a pretty good psu. 

damn i didnt mean to double post. i hope that doesnt get me in trouble. heh

Sorry, didn't seen it. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

ok so now i have the 3rd coat on the fan rings. they're definitely green.  (i hope i never want to go white! hah!)

its looking good so far. it may just match. 

DPP_0020_zps80bc2ee0.jpg

heres the memory cooler i have. i hope it covers up the red dimms as well as i hope they do.

DPP_0017_zpsa2457748.jpg

looks like it does a pretty good job. in the picture i know it looks like the fans are off but there running. my canon t3i just takes really good pictures. especially in motion!

DPP_0018_zps00c0e5a1.jpg

im trying to think of something i can do about those cables today but i cant. i guess ill just have to wait until the extensions get here. grrr

so i think i found something that will help with the ugly cables until my extensions show up. i found it at home depot. its made to cover electrical wiring anyway so i thought "what the hell i'll try it!"

DPP_0022_zps00e15ed8.jpg

DPP_0023_zpsfd143cd7.jpg

DPP_0024_zps8de1b039.jpg

then i realized that it matched the tubing for the h100 and i decided that it will work

DPP_0025_zpse1e86336.jpg

oh and heres how the green rings for the corsair fans turned out.

DPP_0026_zps8c0e7d91.jpg

now to take care of this horrible mess of cables. ahhhhhh!

DPP_0027_zpsd3d85f8c.jpg

DPP_0028_zps67716e3d.jpg

thats much better ;)

DPP_0029_zps9642d6e1.jpg

DPP_0030_zpsac4618c0.jpg

DPP_0032_zpsf80d0019.jpg

now to take care of the front cable management problem im having here

DPP_0034_zps117a43d1.jpg

boy that was easy ;)

DPP_0036_zpscc39977d.jpg

heres some shots of the finished decor

DPP_0039_zps16d145b4.jpg

DPP_0044_zpsa60b8512.jpg

DPP_0046_zps68329424.jpg

DPP_0050_zpsf314a025.jpg

DPP_0054_zpsb39f3e09.jpg

boy i hope it turns back on! :o

DPP_0058_zps1605c9de.jpg

yay it works!!

DPP_0060_zps6e647fa7.jpg

doesn't look to bad. i may not even bother with the pcie extensions if i can figure out a way to change the red connectors that are on here now. we'll see. now i dont want to put the door back on. im gonna see about getting a better window for the door and getting the outside repainted. 

you should also see if there are some rubber grommets(sp?) for your case. I personally prefer that and maybe your cable management might look a little neater as you wont see a whole in your mounting board.

edit: though i've just seen what you added, and that isnt a bad improvement :D, those back board things you've got arent too bad..

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

you should also see if there are some rubber grommets(sp?) for your case. I personally prefer that and maybe your cable management might look a little neater as you wont see a whole in your mounting board.

edit: though i've just seen what you added, and that isnt a bad improvement :D, those back board things you've got arent too bad..

yea i've had this case for 5 years and looked everywhere for rubber grommets(sp? i have no idea either! heh) and the only thing i could come up with was to make some but i couldn't find a way to make them without them looking kind of cheesy. as for the back, yea i don't know why thermaltake stopped including those back plates or why anyone else hasn't started doing that. it makes it a lot easier to shut the back door since it keeps the cables exactly where they need to be.

Sorry, didn't seen it.

its cool man i realize now its kind of easy to pass up when the pics are like that. i wonder if i change the color of the text if that will help. i'll edit it and see. maybe red.

edit: yea red is better! heh

IMO you should just take out the GTS 450 and put the Xonar in the bottom pcie x16 slot.

would give that 780 more room to breathe,would keep you from needing that extra pcie cable for the 450,making it more clean looking,and would open up the case a bit and might make it look better. 

also I'd encourage the idea of switching to a better psu as the TR2 line is somewhat sub par.

maybe something like a seasonix X650

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

uses all black ribbon cables except for the 24 pin which is uses all black wires

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

i got bored so i took some more pics

DPP_0062_zps0156ff85.jpg

DPP_0063_zps4b2a2c91.jpg

DPP_0064_zps4b621139.jpg

DPP_0065_zps07d0b0c0.jpg

DPP_0066_zps59fe1b40.jpg

DPP_0067_zps814c9919.jpg

DPP_0068_zps03df17a1.jpg

DPP_0069_zps6d8c78ec.jpg

DPP_0070_zpsf6078ead.jpg

DPP_0071_zpsb52f7e69.jpg

DPP_0072_zps4b6363a6.jpg

DPP_0073_zpsea7e25d2.jpg

DPP_0074_zps14071b9c.jpg

IMO you should just take out the GTS 450 and put the Xonar in the bottom pcie x16 slot.

would give that 780 more room to breathe,would keep you from needing that extra pcie cable for the 450,making it more clean looking,and would open up the case a bit and might make it look better. 

also I'd encourage the idea of switching to a better psu as the TR2 line is somewhat sub par.

maybe something like a seasonix X650

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

uses all black ribbon cables except for the 24 pin which is uses all black wires

my plans are to take out the 450 once I'm finished testing with it. as far as the psu goes. my old psu died. i needed one in a pinch so i bought this one. it was ugly but cheap and it works. i will be replacing it very soon. as far as looks go i think it looks pretty good.

my plans are to take out the 450 once I'm finished testing with it. as far as the psu goes. my old psu died. i needed one in a pinch so i bought this one. it was ugly but cheap and it works. i will be replacing it very soon. as far as looks go i think it looks pretty good.

I agree with you completely,it looks awesome,I just think that opening it up a bit would make it look even better.

Linus Sebastian said:

I agree with you completely,it looks awesome,I just think that opening it up a bit would make it look even better.

so i got done with my test. totally not worth having the 450 as a dedicated physx card. no matter what i tested it on i only gained about 3 FPS. tested it on batman arkham city, fluidmark and borderlands 2. anyway i took it out and heres how it looks. my temps went down on the 780 from 49c to 47c on idle. max is set to 79c so it never goes above that anyway.

DPP_0075_zps7ce4f538.jpg

DPP_0076_zpsb8b1ccaf.jpg

DPP_0077_zps0791a959.jpg

DPP_0078_zpsb8f704d5.jpg

DPP_0079_zps6a5c776d.jpg

DPP_0080_zps8336c1e7.jpg

DPP_0081_zpsf2525fa0.jpg

DPP_0082_zps0725eb54.jpg

it does look a little better.

i don't like those cables much and why not put your screens next to you ?

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

You should paint the Ram Fan housing the same green color..

I don't know how that'd fit... the current design includes only a few bits green and majortiy black.. yeah, green could go there, but would it look better? IMO, prolly not..

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

You should paint the Ram Fan housing the same green color..

you know i'm actually thinking about taking out the green rings and sanding them back down and repainting them grey.\

i don't like those cables much and why not put your screens next to you ?

im assuming your talking about the covers i put on the cables. they're temporary until i get my extensions in. i still like them but i need to find a way to make them look a little better, like if the connectors were black instead of red. also if the connectors didn't have those little 2 prongs that turn the connector from a 6 pin to an 8 pin i wouldn't have had to hide them inside the cover and would have made the covers have more consistency.

as far as the screens go there really just there for looks. as you can see one is not even plugged in. i used to have an eyefinity set up but i didn't like the quality of the screens. the screens on the top are 21.5" tn 60hz panels from asus. i bought the 24" tn 144hz monitor from asus (the one in the middle) and love it. im actually trying to sell the other 3 i have and get another 24". i like the way they're set up though. its perfect for watching you-tube videos in full screen on the top monitor while doing other stuff on my main monitor.

I don't know how that'd fit... the current design includes only a few bits green and majortiy black.. yeah, green could go there, but would it look better? IMO, prolly not..

i don't know if i would like the green either but what do you think about changing the rings from green to grey. i may try that in a couple of days.