My First PC Build

IustoFulmine

With 2 graphics cards in SLI means no more PCI-E lanes, yes. Except if your motherboard have a PLX chip which can be found on few 300$+ mobo.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

The numbers of PCI-E connectors aren't tied to amount of PCI-E lanes available, amount PCI-E lanes are tied to the chipset as this case, Z97. See this as a maximum bandwidth of data that can go through the motherboards as 16 PCI-e lanes only.

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Would change the 970 ACX for a STRIX one. I've heard ACX has issues, someone confirm here?

In one of the WAN shows Linus talked about the ACX issue and got a response form EVGA that, to my understanding, gave and adequate explanation as to why the 3rd heat pipe was not connected to the GPU.

As an exemple, I use a mSATA Samsung for my OS so no usage of BIOS RAID Utility and my mSATA Samsung is paired with RAPID which use my memory as cache for way higher bandwidth for rendering stuff but high latency because of the travel the data have to go through and my RAID0 SSD for games for higher bandwidth but still low latency not like Samsung setup.

Don't get ripjaw they are overrated, get Dominator Platinum or HyperX Beast 1866mhz people thinking all 1600mhz RAM are made equal are wrong.

Dominator Platinum is overpriced

The numbers of PCI-E connectors aren't tied to amount of PCI-E lanes available, amount PCI-E lanes are tied to the chipset as this case, Z97. See this as a maximum bandwidth of data that can go through the motherboards as 16 PCI-e lanes only.

So unless I go with something like the Core i7-4820k, I am limited to just a graphics card or two without any additional PCI-E peripherals.

I don't know why I had assumed that the 4790k would have more than just 16 lanes and I would be limited by the motherboard instead.

So, if running dual SLI in x8x8 doesn't really affect performance, would running like a wireless card that uses a few pci-e lanes limit the performance of a single graphics card, (does the GTX 970 use all 16 lanes)

By default a video card runs at 16x, installing this Wireless card will make your graphic card runs at 8x but as you said, there is so minimal performance difference between 16x and 8x.

By default a video card runs at 16x, installing this Wireless card will make your graphic card runs at 8x but as you said, there is so minimal performance difference between 16x and 8x.

Ok, that makes sense.

I was checking out your PC, what do you think of the GTX 970 FTW, are you happy with it, do you think it was the best choice?

I'm so happy with them, they deliver so much power I'm able to use the highest grade of Nvidia DSR on my 21:9 2560 x 1080 monitor. Usually you get limited by the temperature or the VRAM or the actual power of the GPU but the 970 I have are so much efficient that I get about 1550 mhz core clock 69C degree on the most demanding game and I get 100% of the GPU power they have.

I'm so happy with them, they deliver so much power I'm able to use the highest grade of Nvidia DSR on my 21:9 2560 x 1080 monitor. Usually you get limited by the temperature or the VRAM or the actual power of the GPU but the 970 I have are so much efficient that I get about 1550 mhz core clock 69C degree on the most demanding game and I get 100% of the GPU power they have.

What kind of frame rates are you experiencing?

Since I have a 60 Hz monitor I always put the highest settings I can until I have 60 FPS all the time. Having a third GTX 970 would help me since my two 970 cant get all my games of the highest settings and getting 5K textures etc.

In conclusion, I have the best setup you can get for the price but I ask a lot to them, but having a 3-way SLI setup bring significant latency and not that great performance scaling.

As a exemple, I get 40-50 FPS averange on Dead Space 3 including 5K DSR everything maxed out.

My recommendation is get those same GTX 970 as I have, if you want more power (cause you can make use of it and 2 x 970 isn't overkill at all if you know how to make use of that power) you can get 2 x 980 but the cost/performance ratio is worse.

why did you keep the cooler for an h100i ?  id rather give him an h80i I have that and the 4790k and its perfect

edit :also id change the evga supernova NEX for a supernova G2 750W

Are you mental? He is gaming he doesnt need a i7 and the price substitution you suggested is more expensive. Also the NEX is a great PSU and his budget doesnt have room for a PSU in the price range. 

This is an awesome build!

But, adding a case for $100 (the one I like is $119 with combos and rebate) and a monitor for $130 would put it to nearly $1800 which is a bit more than I can afford right now. In a couple of years when I graduate, I would love to go with the gtx 1180 or whatever they end up calling it :).

I do like a lot of the other components that you have suggested and am going to seriously reconsider replacing what I have with them.

Do you think the i5 will limit my ability to run the emulator smoothly?

I had picked the i7 because, unlike a video card, I can't run dual processors to increase my power and this expand-ability of this build would be limited by that.

Do you think it would make much of a difference?

Sorry you didnt include a monitor in your orginal build so I didnt include it Either that or i just didn't see it. :P

Yes an i5 will run emulators and is considered the best price per performance gaming CPU. Unless you want to get into some applications that would benefit from the extra threads in the i7. If not then there is ZERO reason to pick an i7 over an i5 at this time and for the for see able future. 

Here is something that should fit your price range a little better and sorry for the mix up :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $229.99) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Thermal Compound: Innovation Cooling Diamond "7 Carat" 1.5g Thermal Paste  ($6.20 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $200.00) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($349.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($157.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1563.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-30 16:27 EDT-0400

Don't listen to Davsmith, he is so wrong.

I have a website with few recommendations if you want, I'll add more stuff on it soon. Feel free to like or dislike if your feelings are more complicated then this :P and tell me what you think about it. Thanks. http://www.krytopsyx.webs.com

Are you mental? He is gaming he doesnt need a i7 and the price substitution you suggested is more expensive. Also the NEX is a great PSU and his budget doesnt have room for a PSU in the price range. 

what do you mean ? I know he doesen'T need an i7 4790k. that is what I , ME , has.

he is totally fine with a i7 4690k xD 

do you even read bruh ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

what do you mean ? I know he doesen'T need an i7 4790k. that is what I , ME , has.

he is totally fine with a i7 4690k xD 

do you even read bruh ?

Lol sorry man I was reading this quickly and on my tiny phone. My apologies and sorry for snaping. We have just and a few people who insist on recommending i7s for gaming and its kind of pressure point with me :P 

Don't listen to Davsmith, he is so wrong.

Wrong about what exactly? 

This thread isn't for you Davsmith, LustoVulmine made it to get help and not people fighting each others.

This thread isn't for you Davsmith, LustoVulmine made it to get help and not people fighting each others.

I'm not fighting im just wondering why you said I was wrong. :)

Lol sorry man I was reading this quickly and on my tiny phone. My apologies and sorry for snaping. We have just and a few people who insist on recommending i7s for gaming and its kind of pressure point with me :P

aah its ok :P

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004