What is hyperthreading

hey Linus community I have been looking at CPUs and have seen the word hyperthreading (also seen in linus's videos) but really what is, what is it used for, what are the advantages of having more threads.

Thanks

Wolffangs147

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

I think Linus must have a "Fast As Possible" video for almost everything these days :D. Good work @LinusTech. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I think Linus must have a "Fast As Possible" video for almost everything these days :D. Good work @LinusTech. :)

Yes because people forgot how to google

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Hyperthreading is magic

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Sssshhhh! Linus needs those people to get more viewers to his TechQuickie YouTube channel. ;):P

Sssshhhh! Linus needs those people to get more viewers to his TechQuickie YouTube channel. ;):P

Well said

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

Well said

Thanks! :)

Well it's probabably true to be honest. ;)

That because they now YouTube it instead

Oh my gosh, look at those threads.

HT is magc, that allows desktop i3 be faster than Pentium, i7 be faster than i5 in multi threaded applications.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

That because they now YouTube it instead

Nope,is because they are lazy :D

:P

I find Linus's hands fapping about very distracting anyway

Should see the new video "Mineral Oil Submerged PC Build Log Part 1" da jukes are real...and very very sexy and kinky too :D