Google wants to flood your body with tiny magnets to search for disease

Google wants to flood your body with tiny magnets to search for disease

Google X's latest moonshot: trying to develop nanoparticles that can identify cancer and other illnesses

Google's ambition to cure death is beginning to take shape in a new product from its Google X division. Andrew Conrad, the head of the company's life sciences division, today announced the details of an effort that would use nanotechnology to identify signs of disease. The project would employ tiny magnetic nanoparticles, said to be one-thousandth the width of a red blood cell, to bind themselves to various molecules and identify them as trouble spots.

Google's nanotechnology project, which would also involve a wearable magnetic device that tracks the particles, is said to be at least five years off, according to an accompanying report in the Wall Street Journal. The company is still figuring out how many nanoparticles are necessary to identify markers of disease, and scientists will have to develop coatings for the particles that will let them bind to targeted cells. One idea is to deliver the nanoparticles via a pill that you would swallow.

"FUNDAMENTALLY, OUR FOE IS DEATH."

More than 100 Googlers are now working on the project. "We're trying to stave off death by preventing disease," Conrad said on stage at WSJD Live. "Fundamentally, our foe is death. Our foe is unnecessary death. Because we have the technology to intervene, and we should expend more energy and effort on it."

Nanoparticles inside the body will be subject to heavier regulation than a device that uses them outside the body. Google will have to prove to the FDA that their method is safe and effective in large, controlled clinical trials. To do that, they will first have to determine a dose of nanoparticles for use, which the company has not yet done.

The idea behind using nanoparticles to catch cancer and other illnesses is pretty simple. Cancer cells often express proteins or sugars not found on healthy cells; a nanoparticle with a coating that binds cancer-only cells could be a useful tool for diagnosing the disease. There are two barriers here: the first is our knowledge of cancer-specific proteins or sugars; the second is finding out what coatings they would bind to.

Original post http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/28/7085023/google-wants-to-flood-your-body-with-tiny-magnets-to-search-for

Timothy Harnamji

This is cool... Sign me up *doesn't read T&C*

sorry you agreed that these tiny magnets could take over your brain and we have created the singularity. 404 @XTankSlayerX not found... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Even if we conquer "death", we have to worry weather the universe ever dies in like 50 trillion years.

I dont think anyone would want to be immortal, i sure dont... 

EDIT: 1234 posts lol 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I dont think anyone would want to be immortal, i sure dont... 

EDIT: 1234 posts lol 

I sure would. Can you imagine the sort of things that could be accomplished and mastered with so much time? I mean I'd be able to have as many degrees as I want instead of being forced to only pick a few.

If we died then Google'd lose our money!

and @dlf i believe scientists predict the universe will die in around 2 Trillion years. (or was it 200 trillion years?)

And the sun is going to burn the earth in only a few billion, so...

Also, this thought will creep you out:

When we die, our idea of our consciousness is lost, and time keeps going, but you're dead. creepy to think about imo like, what happens after?!

But imagine the universe ending, leading to NOTHING...

no, not black emptiness

nothing...

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Are we sure this is to search for diseases? Sounds more like they want biological metadata to target painkiller adds before you even know you're sick

-------

Current Rig

-------

If we died then Google'd lose our money!

and @dlf i believe scientists predict the universe will die in around 2 Trillion years. (or was it 200 trillion years?)

And the sun is going to burn the earth in only a few billion, so...

Also, this thought will creep you out:

When we die, our idea of our consciousness is lost, and time keeps going, but you're dead. creepy to think about imo like, what happens after?!

But imagine the universe ending, leading to NOTHING...

no, not black emptiness

nothing...

Watch more Deep Space 9 . . . .

Watch more Deep Space 9 . . . .

:P

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

That's really cool.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|