Safe temps to run all night?

Never heard about Folding but now I am going to try it out.

From my understandings, it is hosted by Standard Medical School and they basically use your computers hardware for their purposes. They send your computer a "task" to do and then when said task is complete, you send it back to them for them to study and then they send you another. 

well yeah. The essential thing to understand is that. Instead of building a single massive central solution. One massive data center with custom power grids, crazy air conditioning and all that jazz costing millions of $$$. They break the workload up into tiny pieces and send it to individual people scattered all over the place, combined creating a big computing grid. So yeah, you are lending your computers resources to do calculations on behalf of them.

Having the potential to do things that may not otherwise be prioritized or considered reasonable.

Did you not read the OP?

He said CPU. CPU not GPU.

We are talking about CPUs here. And for AMD the maximum safe temperature is 62 degrees C.

Yes I know their graphics cards can get to 95C easily, but a graphics card is very different from a CPU.

woops then for amd the max recommended temps are 65 and intel 60 depends on the case flow  67 for amd and 64 for intel is just fine.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

woops then for amd the max recommended temps are 65 and intel 60 depends on the case flow  67 for amd and 64 for intel is just fine.

No...

where the heck are you getting your information from?

The maximum safe socket temp for an AMD CPU is 62 degrees C and about 70C on the core. OP is getting 66C which is above the safe temperatures.

Intel is fine up to 90C, but the TJ max is 105C, recommended running temperatures for intel CPUs are 85C and below for 24/7 use.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't mean to brag but it's about 10 miles away:)

go.

die.

in.

a.

hole.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

go.

die.

in.

a.

hole.

Tell you what, I will go to Microcenter and decide whether or not I want to lol :)

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

No...

where the heck are you getting your information from?

The maximum safe socket temp for an AMD CPU is 62 degrees C and about 70C on the core. OP is getting 66C which is above the safe temperatures.

Intel is fine up to 90C, but the TJ max is 105C, recommended running temperatures for intel CPUs are 85C and below for 24/7 use.

i dont..... *facepalming alot*

how does your logic work?!?!?

different sockets, architexturs... ect, all react slightly differently to different temperatures....

i feel like you're basing your logic off bad experiences with paticular AMD cpu's in the past, but i cant be sure, and shouldnt start hating.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnyyyyyyyyyyyyybutt...........

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

i dont..... *facepalming alot*

how does your logic work?!?!?

different sockets, architexturs... ect, all react slightly differently to different temperatures....

i feel like you're basing your logic off bad experiences with paticular AMD cpu's in the past, but i cant be sure, and shouldnt start hating.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnyyyyyyyyyyyyybutt...........

No, you can actually google it. The maximum socket temp for AMD CPUs is 62 degrees. The maximum safe core temp is actually not specified by AMD, but the general agreement for "safe 24/7 use" is about 70C.

For intel, it is completely safe up to 85C, at which point it can be a problem when running for extended amounts of time.

If you dont believe me just google it. It is a fact that the AM sockets on AMD motherboards are not safe for more than 62 degrees C.

These are core temps, not socket temps:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1134229/amd-cpus-max-temps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, you can actually google it. The maximum socket temp for AMD CPUs is 62 degrees. The maximum safe core temp is actually not specified by AMD, but the general agreement for "safe 24/7 use" is about 70C.

For intel, it is completely safe up to 85C, at which point it can be a problem when running for extended amounts of time.

If you dont believe me just google it. It is a fact that the AM sockets on AMD motherboards are not safe for more than 62 degrees C.

hmmm.....

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKE ITS OBVIOSE THAT ALL AMDEE CPYOOS CAN REACH 200 AND BEYOND ALL SAFE

(okay, atleast i learned something today. xP ^~^ thanks.

didnt actually know that there were max socket temps... im new relatively, (few months actually serius in tech) and just assumes connections, as long as they didnt melt did not have max temps)

-Jim Hensen

hmmm.....

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKE ITS OBVIOSE THAT ALL AMDEE CPYOOS CAN REACH 200 AND BEYOND ALL SAFE

(okay, atleast i learned something today. xP ^~^ thanks.

didnt actually know that there were max socket temps... im new relatively, (few months actually serius in tech) and just assumes connections, as long as they didnt melt did not have max temps)

Well, I'm glad you are now more experienced :D

I do find it a bit confusing as to why AMD would not state an official safe temp like intel does. Also, why do their processors have such a low temperature limit? Those are some questions I havent been able to find an answer for, unfortunately.

Spoiler

Well, I'm glad you are now more experienced :D

I do find it a bit confusing as to why AMD would not state an official safe temp like intel does. Also, why do their processors have such a low temperature limit? Those are some questions I havent been able to find an answer for, unfortunately.

perhaps its cause GANDLAF DIED. :c

i mean, as we all know gandalf makes thier stuff and they dont have him anymore so they cant ask questions about it...

magic. how computers works.

-Jim Hensen

Well I don't have a 4300 and they don't have that chip on there. Closest one is 4100 so I'm just base mine of that one. (70C)

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Well I don't have a 4300 and they don't have that chip on there. Closest one is 4100 so I'm just base mine of that one. (70C)

Yes it should be the same. Just make sure your motherboard socket temp stays under 62C

Spoiler