How to find a balance between my speakers and subwoofer

TheGloriousLeader
Go to solution Solved by Krishtrinity,

Start both from 0 volume.Increase the volume until you find correct balance.For most of the subwoofer ideal volume is set at the half the point anything over that will be boomy and overpower the speaker sound.Set an ideal volume for speakers and just use the pc volume from then on.

What's the best way to get a balance of bass and sound? I'm not really sure on how to explain it. But some songs have bass that is overpowering while others have it underwheming, same goes for movies, and games. I mostly use Pandora and Netflix. Whenever I play around with settings to sound better with one song, it ends up worse for other music. I currently have a Lepai T-amp connected to a pair of PSB Image 2b speakers, and  a Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer. They are both connected to my motherboard.

edit: The motherboard I have is a gigabyte gaz77x-d3h

trial and error. use an eq that lets you save profiles so create one for gaming, music genre a, b etc

Simple answer: you don't. With the way different music genres are being mixed and mastered, you won't ever have a perfect EQ balance going between two different ones because each one has something different in the mixing.

What's the best way to get a balance of bass and sound? I'm not really sure on how to explain it. But some songs have bass that is overpowering while others have it underwheming, same goes for movies, and games. I mostly use Pandora and Netflix. Whenever I play around with settings to sound better with one song, it ends up worse for other music. I currently have a Lepai T-amp connected to a pair of PSB Image 2b speakers, and  a Pioneer SW-8MK2 subwoofer. They are both connected to my motherboard.

This is a simple way to setup the sub's initial gain: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-properly-set-your-subwoofers-volume-without-sh-1506136549

As to music A got too much, music B got too little, that's just the way it is with musics. For example, dubsteps/electronics usually got accentuated lows/basses, while classical got accentuated mids and highs (not absolute, but mostly). What you can do is to make presets for different kind of musics. Fiddle with the EQ for music A, then save it. After that, when you found a type of music/song that's off with that setting, repeat the EQ and save it again (with another name). That way you can just switch back and forth between presets.

EQ and audio normalization is the best you can do.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EQ With different profiles set for different use cases.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Start both from 0 volume.Increase the volume until you find correct balance.For most of the subwoofer ideal volume is set at the half the point anything over that will be boomy and overpower the speaker sound.Set an ideal volume for speakers and just use the pc volume from then on.

Does your sub-woofer have a crossover? That may be your problem...but most likley if you listen to a broad range of audio then you'll have varying degree's of bass. Nothing you can really do about it.

I would personally think about getting a different amp? one with a sub out RCA?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Cooler: Stock | RAM: 16GB Hyper Fury X RGB | GPU: RTX 2080 Super FTW3 | Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Elite| PSU: Corsair RM850x
Storage: WD SN750 500GB / 850 500GB Samsung Evo /  | CASE: 570X | Display: Dell u2414h  | KEYBOARD: Corsair K70 | MOUSE: Corsair M65

Thanks for the tips, I guess I will just bear with it and create profiles for videos and games. I've adjusted the crossover, it's at the point where it slightly overlaps, since if I set it too low I only have bass from the speakers. I'm not sure what it is set at but when I get home I can update. As for a new amp can you suggest one? I have an old Marantz SR7001 lying around but it's too large and will be uncomfortably hot with it a foot away from me on a desk. 

First you must find a balance in yoyr life, then its just fiddling with it until it sound right.