Pixmania
Zercom
Micro-mail
4launch
Alternate
Mycom
Azerty
Vobis Computer

Secondly; If you do get the Intel, don't get the 4670k and Z87, go 4690k and Z97. If you go AMD, choose the 8320 or 8320e. You can overclock them to 8350 speeds and beyond no problem. For the motherboard (in either build) choose something with SLI compatibility, minimum of 6 Sata 3.0 ports, and usb 3.0 header.

For AMD that could be the new MSI 970 Gaming motherboard. For Intel that would be the MSI G55-SLI or similar. Also choose something 750w PSU for future SLI builds. Choose EVGA, Cooler Master, Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Seasonic, XFX etc etc.

Lastly, try to match that H440 to the mobo and the rest of what you buy, if you go Intel with that MSI G55-SLI, get Blue and Black. If AMD and MSI 970 Gaming mobo, go Red and Black. Or for a wildcard, choose Intel->Asus Z97-AR->Choose White and Black H440.  :D

Hi all,

My name is Roy, 29yo from the Netherlands, and after 7 years of faithful service, it is time for me to upgrade my computer. Of course, I would value your opinion on my purposed setup up.

Essentially, I will use the rig for gaming (preferably next gen on 60FPS 1080p of course), with some occasional video editing and high-end computing (200mb Excel files etc)

Here is what I have got now.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 @ 3.2ghz OC

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4

Mobo: Asus P5K

RAM: 2x 2gb 366mhz CL5 (do not remember the brand, but some low end ones I believe)

GPU: XFX HD 5770 XXX 1gb @ 940mhz OC

SSD: Crucial M500 240gb

PSU: 500 watt low end brand

Case: In Win F430 Ferrari Case (with rev sound! :lol: )

As I am looking to build another all-round pc (with main focus on games), with my mind set on a sort of budget of around 600eu along with another 5 year life span on the main components. I came up with 2 configurations, both of which are based on what I read mostly on the internet as recommendations. I will be moving some parts from my old pc, like the fans, SSD, GPU (for now), Optical drive and CPU Cooler.

Option 1:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @ 4.2 ~ 4.6ghz OC

Mobo: Asus Z87 Pro V Edition

Ram: 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9

GPU: XFX HD 5770 XXX 1gb @ 940mhz OC (to be replaced next year by a EVGA GTX 770 or XFX R9 290x)

HDD: WD Cavalier Blue 1TB

PSU: Cooler Master GM Series G650m

Case: NZXT H440

Roughly €700

Option 2:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.6 ~ 5.0ghz OC

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX

Ram: 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz CL9

GPU: XFX HD 5770 XXX 1gb @ 940mhz OC (to be replaced next year by a EVGA GTX 770 or XFX R9 290x)

HDD: WD Cavalier Blue 1TB

PSU: Cooler Master GM Series G650m

Case: NZXT H440

Roughly €600

My gutt says I should go with AMD build, being cheaper with relatively same performance as Intel (many would disagree) and looking forward to multi-threaded games in the future. On the other hand, everybody is yelling Intel over AMD, and there must be a reason why this is the case. Also, I secretly really like the Asus AI Suite 3 which comes with the Z87 boards.

So here I ask for you help. Which of the 2 systems would be more recommendable, or would you build a completely different system (and if so, which one?).

Many thanks in advance!

Greetz,

Roy

i would definitely go with option 1, because the intel beats the amd one in any game anytime but i would replace the gtx 770 with a gtx 970 because it's quite a bit better than the 770 any only like 100$ cheaper

Greetz,

Roy

This is what i would suggest:

Option "Get this":

CPU: Intel 1231 v3

CPU Cooler: CM TX3

Mobo: H97 MSI Gaming 3 or Gigabyte H6 Gaming or H97 Pro gamer (why this?:Asus Z87 Pro V Edition)

Ram: Cheapest 2 x 4 kit you can find

GPU: XFX HD 5770 XXX 1gb @ 940mhz OC (to be replaced next year by preferably a gtx 970 or r9 370?)

SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB

PSU: XFX XTR 550W or another 550W XFX PSU

Case: Enthoo Pro (NZXT H440 (if you like))

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

I would go option 1, but with the Haswell refresh ( 4690k on a z97 board ), keep the rest and whenever your budget allows it I would get a nice Maxwell GPU to improve the gaming experience.

I would go option 1, but with the Haswell refresh ( 4690k on a z97 board ), keep the rest and whenever your budget allows it I would get a nice Maxwell GPU to improve the gaming experience.

Yep, definately haswell refresh and get a 970...

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Go Intel on this one :) just plain better.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Holy cow, you guys are fast! Lol

Thanks for the advice. I didn't really consider the refresh, but it is (in NL) only 10eu more expensive, which seems like a sensible choice. Then I would probably update the board to a Z97 Pro as well, adding another 20eu to the build, which I think is doable.

@ H4X3R You're build is quite different with a Xeon CPU. Interesting to give it a look. What is your rationale behind it?  :)

Firstly; Praise be tomshardware!

Netherlands
Pixmania
Zercom
Micro-mail
4launch
Alternate
Mycom
Azerty
Vobis Computer

Secondly; If you do get the Intel, don't get the 4670k and Z87, go 4690k and Z97. If you go AMD, choose the 8320 or 8320e. You can overclock them to 8350 speeds and beyond no problem. For the motherboard (in either build) choose something with SLI compatibility, minimum of 6 Sata 3.0 ports, and usb 3.0 header.

For AMD that could be the new MSI 970 Gaming motherboard. For Intel that would be the MSI G55-SLI or similar. Also choose something 750w PSU for future SLI builds. Choose EVGA, Cooler Master, Corsair, Antec, NZXT, Seasonic, XFX etc etc.

Lastly, try to match that H440 to the mobo and the rest of what you buy, if you go Intel with that MSI G55-SLI, get Blue and Black. If AMD and MSI 970 Gaming mobo, go Red and Black. Or for a wildcard, choose Intel->Asus Z97-AR->Choose White and Black H440.  :D

Hi Demon, thanks for the more elaborate upgrade advise  :D I am already planning to get everything from Azerty indeed  ;)

As for the colour scheme, yes, definitely the black/blue with the MSI board. Also change the vengeance RAM from gold to blue lol

Firstly; Praise be tomshardware!

Netherlands

Pixmania

Zercom

Micro-mail

4launch

Alternate

Mycom

Azerty

Vobis Computer

DO NOT GO Pixmania I'ts scam https://nl-be.trustpilot.com/review/www.pixmania.nl 

Hi Demon, thanks for the more elaborate upgrade advise  :D I am already planning to get everything from Azerty indeed  ;)

As for the colour scheme, yes, definitely the black/blue with the MSI board. Also change the vengeance RAM from gold to blue lol

look at Alternate. I helped a Dutchman upgrade his PC about a week ago. Quite a lot of the parts were cheaper on Alternate. Alternate looked nicer too, better looking website, less ugly than Azerty.

look at Alternate. I helped a Dutchman upgrade his PC about a week ago. Quite a lot of the parts were cheaper on Alternate. Alternate looked nicer too, better looking website, less ugly than Azerty.

I just checked, Alternate is 5eu more expensive than Azerty  :lol: Also, alternate does not carry the H440 case

This is what i would suggest:

Option "Get this":

CPU: Intel 1231 v3

xeons really aren't good for gaming only since they cost a lot for what they provide

I've looked up a good site, I dont know if its going to be cheap at the Netherlands but i upgraded my pc safed some euro's also Fast Shipping :) No problems or demage at all. :P

Komplett

Alright, so my rig just got updated to this (with the SLI GTX 970 coming in the future)  ;)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rGgyLk

If you can, find some other ram. That ram would interfere with your CPU Cooler I think. They're so unnecessarily large. Look for Kingston HyperX Fury instead. The blue on them looks closer to the MSI G55-SLI.

Also, don't get two 970's until you got a monitor that can use them. Something like the Asus RoG Swift, pure sexy monitor  :wub:

The rest is quite fine!

If you can, find some other ram. That ram would interfere with your CPU Cooler I think. They're so unnecessarily large. Look for Kingston HyperX Fury instead. The blue on them looks closer to the MSI G55-SLI.

Also, don't get two 970's until you got a monitor that can use them. Something like the Asus RoG Swift, pure sexy monitor  :wub:

The rest is quite fine!

Thnx for the tip. Ill have a look at the other RAM.

As for monitors, im now using 2x 22inch HP screen (L2245wg abd LA2205wg), but I will start with 1 GTX until I get a 3rd monitor (pref a 4k one lol)

Thnx for the tip. Ill have a look at the other RAM.

As for monitors, im now using 2x 22inch HP screen (L2245wg abd LA2205wg), but I will start with 1 GTX until I get a 3rd monitor (pref a 4k one lol)

For gaming I would still suggest the Asus RoG Swift. It's got 144hz refresh rate and G-Sync, something all Nvidia card holders should be aspiring to.

Also, grab yourself 3 extra 120mm fans for the roof of the H440. It's got a fan hub in the case already I think. So there no problem there.

Thnx Julian, but indeed, I consider myself a 'blue' person  :lol:

@ H4X3R You're build is quite different with a Xeon CPU. Interesting to give it a look. What is your rationale behind it?  :)

The xeon basically is a i7 4790k that you can't overclock.

The h6 gaming from gigabyte offers all high end features HOWEVER you can't overclock AS WELL AS (you still can) on z97.

No biggy, 4 cores and 8 threads makes it "future ready" and will last you much longer than an i5 (especially since xeons get more QC).

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4