How to record music with PC?

Cs342

Hi guys, I would like to start recording instruments and vocals on my computer. What sort of hardware and software would I need?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

you would need a mic and a xblr converter if it doesnt have USB

and audacity which is free software

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

You connect a microphone to your PC and press record ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Where do you put the cassette ?

PC : | CPU: Intel 4790K | COOLER: Corsair H105 w/ JetFlo's Push/Pull | MOBO: EVGA Z97 Classified | GPU: EVGA FTW 4GB GTX 970 X2 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 1866Mhz 32GB | CASE: HAF Stacker 945 | PSU: Corsair AX1500i | DISPLAY: Asus MX299Q | SSD: 2 X Corsair Neutron GTX 480 GB in RAID0 | mSATA SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB | HDD: 4 X Western Digital RED 4 TB in JBOD |

Get a microphone that is 50$ or more. and download audacity to record what you are saying/singing. 

You need a USB audio interface with as many channels as you will need as well as a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation - Pro tools for example) 

One microphone is not enough if you actually want to make music. You're gonna want a good interface (either USB, FireWire or Thunderbolt depending on what you have available). If you want to record drums the right way you're going to need at least 8 simultaneous mic inputs (preamped and phantom powered of course) and when you reach that level it does start getting quite expensive. You can get by with a stereo setup (2 min inputs) but getting sound that's up to par is really going to be a challenge. The mics you choose are also of vital importance to the end result. What exactly is it that you aim to do?

What if I wanna record some piano stuff? Can I just get a USB keyboard device that can plug into my PC?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?