Odd internet lag when on a public game server

I recently built myself a new computer and its working great, however I'm getting an odd internet lag problem. I am using a USB-N53 Dual band Wireless-N600 adapter by Asus for my internet, and it gives me around 3 mbs when downloading from Steam. Whenever I join a public server for any game I get huge amounts of lag. I can move with a ping of 30 for around 5 seconds, then everything will stop moving for around 5 seconds. However,what has me stumped is that if I were to host a server myself (off the same computer with no settings changed) everything would be fine. I could boot up Tungle and host Garry's Mod with some friends and no one would get any lag, or I could host Pre-Sequel through Steam and we would all be fine. 

Processor Intel® Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz Video Card AMD Radeon R9 200 Series Memory 8.1 GB Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

I can supply more computer info if necessary.

The drivers my computer and the adapter are both up to date, and I have been trying everything I could think of to fix it. I tried installing outdated drivers, different drivers, different settings, everything that came to mind. No errors, just lag.

Thanks