The Evil Within. For the love of everyting, what are u doing Bethesda?!

randy hutajulu

qMvgax1.jpgAHUAIbK.jpg

We're talking about 2 different things i see

yes its 16:9 with black boxes

but i thought you were saying was the image in the centre was 16:9

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

We're talking about 2 different things i see

yes its 16:9 with black boxes

but i thought you were saying was the image in the centre was 16:9

The image is 16:9 since the Black Bars are used for UI, and are Superimposed 

16:9 with black boxes is still 16:9. 

If it was truly rendered and using the 21:9 aspect ratio a 21:9 monitor would have a full image like presented above in games that do actually support and render at 21:9

They lied about using the aspect ratio, simple as that. That's what I've been saying, and pointed out from the start

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

They aren't really lying, the game window is 21:9, that's what is hitting the screen. They never really said they were going to support 21:9 monitors. I was a little surprised that it doesn't scale at all, I was kinda expecting it to just keep the black bars and go extra wise

One question, does making a custom 1440 resolution work? I know those ui elements wouldn't show up but I wonder if it would at least render in full screen

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

They aren't really lying, the game window is 21:9, that's what is hitting the screen. They never really said they were going to support 21:9 monitors. I was a little surprised that it doesn't scale at all, I was kinda expecting it to just keep the black bars and go extra wise

One question, does making a custom 1440 resolution work? I know those ui elements wouldn't show up but I wonder if it would at least render in full screen

They said they were using the 21:9 aspect ratio. They aren't using it, if they were, it would fill out a 21:9 display. 

As I stated before if you use the developer console to remove the letterboxing, it's still just 16:9. The UI elements are still there, they never move position; whether running at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440. They're just not over black bars.

The addition of superimposed black bars don't suddenly change it to 21:9. It's still rendering 16:9. Hence...pillar boxing....

Also I was running the game at 3440x1440 my native resolution when I took that screenshot.

CBZsMCI.png?2

They said they were using the 21:9 aspect ratio. They aren't using it, if they were, it would fill out a 21:9 display.

As I stated before if you use the developer console to remove the letterboxing, it's still just 16:9. The UI elements are still there, they never move position; whether running at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440. They're just not over black bars.

The addition of superimposed black bars don't suddenly change it to 21:9. It's still rendering 16:9. Hence...pillar boxing....

Also I was running the game at 3440x1440 my native resolution when I took that screenshot.

CBZsMCI.png?2

I mistakenly assumed you were running 2560x 1080, let me rephrase, I wonder what happens if you make a custom 3840x2160 resolution

But don't you think it would be a worse lie if they said it was 16:9? Then you actually launch the game and it's only showing 21:9 of the screen as the actual game renderer

And so you think the game renders behind the black boxes? I don't, because when you remove the black boxes out maintains the same vFOV and it drop the hFOV just like what happens in many games if you go to a taller aspect ratio

I mistakenly assumed you were running 2560x 1080

But don't you think it would be a worse lie if they said it was 16:9? Then you actually launch the game and it's only showing 21:9 of the screen as the actual game renderer

And so you think the game renders behind the black boxes? I don't, because when you remove the black boxes out maintains the same vFOV and it drop the hFOV just like what happens in many games if you go to a taller aspect ratio

A lie is a lie, either is bad.

Look at the menu screenshot I just showed you. It's full 16:9, you can also add and remove the letter boxing in game without affecting screen loading or rendering.

When it changes the FOV both versions change because it's hard coded into their dev commands. Also the Vertical FOV also changes, since it's the vertical image that changes when the black bars are removed.

Also when having the Letter boxing removed all effects, like the bloody screen are still the same and do not increase over the removed letter boxed areas.

I don't see how you can deny the game doesn't run in 21:9 when all the evidence points to that. There wouldn't be pillar or letter boxing in a 21:9 rendered game on 21:9 monitors. Simply Googling "Evil Within 21:9" brings up similar screenshots and 21:9 users all experiencing the same.

Here's a video of someone playing the game in 2560x1080. Lovely pillar boxing, something that only happens if the game is 16:9 on a 21:9 monitor

A lie is a lie, either is bad.

Look at the menu screenshot I just showed you. It's full 16:9, you can also add and remove the letter boxing in game without affecting screen loading or rendering.

When it changes the FOV both versions change because it's hard coded into their dev commands. Also the Vertical FOV also changes, since it's the vertical image that changes when the black bars are removed.

Also when having the Letter boxing removed all effects, like the bloody screen are still the same and do not increase over the removed letter boxed areas.

I don't see how you can deny the game doesn't run in 21:9 when all the evidence points to that. There wouldn't be pillar or letter boxing in a 21:9 rendered game on 21:9 monitors. Simply Googling "Evil Within 21:9" brings up similar screenshots and 21:9 users all experiencing the same.

Here's a video of someone playing the game in 2560x1080. Lovely pillar boxing, something that only happens if the game is 16:9 on a 21:9 monitor

http://youtu.be/Eg9H_6GFm3M

I'm not arguing that it isn't 16:9 of course it is, there are ui elements in the borders, they aren't just missing content. But the game window is rendering 1920x800 nothing is being rendered behind the bars and yes the vFOV is constant, that's the case with the great majority of games, that's why you lose hFOV when you go full screen because going to full screen 1080 height it cuts off 1/3 the width earlier in this same thread I showed a game that shows the same behavior with changing the vertical resolution because they both have locked vFOV

Yes obviously this game doesn't support 21:9 screens because it won't go wider and it won't get rid of the black bars that isn't what I'm arguing. But they were talking about the actual game, what's actually being rendered when they said it was 21:9 and it's true, I'd be mad too if a game that prides itself on its aspect ratio didn't support monitors of that ratio, but it isn't lying, it's just not supporting extra wide monitors because this was a relatively quick and dirty PC port. I use 16:10, so I see issues a lot, usually in reduced FOV or 120 black bars

Yeah, people compare it to RE 4, but that is way better. Certainly not a good game for Bethesda to have on their list. Pure disappointment. 

I would pursue Alien: Isolation though. It being hard I think adds to the gameplay (to an extent)

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Yeah, people compare it to RE 4, but that is way better. Certainly not a good game for Bethesda to have on their list. Pure disappointment.

I would pursue Alien: Isolation though. It being hard I think adds to the gameplay (to an extent)

I disagree, a bad game to have on their resume? Not a chance, I'm glad to have an old school survival horror game every once in a while and I'm having a ton of fun with it and the only disappointing thing is the below average PC port

I was especially glad that it came out because the genre is getting sparse due to the recent popularity of FPS horror and especially since viceral games breaking up basically means no more dead space

Yes obviously this game doesn't support 21:9 screens because it won't go wider and it won't get rid of the black bars that isn't what I'm arguing. But they were talking about the actual game, what's actually being rendered when they said it was 21:9 and it's true, I'd be mad too if a game that prides itself on its aspect ratio didn't support monitors of that ratio, but it isn't lying,

It can't be true if it doesn't render fully in 21:9 it's that simple. Either it supports and runs at it, or it doesn't.

It can't be true if it doesn't render fully in 21:9 it's that simple. Either it supports and runs at it, or it doesn't.

i didn't say render fully, what I'm trying to say is the game renders a 1920x768 frame drops a 176 pixel bar above and below, and then renders the UI on top of the 1920 1080 scene. it outputs 16:9, but the game is internally rendered at 1920x768 per eurogamer (its actually 22.5:9 or 2.5:1). 

you can't make this shit up 

WCAuoJ4.jpg

That isn't a 16:10 screen that a 22.5:9 image with letterboxes applied, the fact that the game creates the letterbox not the monitor does not make it a 16:9 scene

if you plug a DVD player into a 21:9 monitor does it recognise it? or does it do the same double black boxes

i didn't say render fully, what I'm trying to say is the game renders a 1920x768 frame drops a 176 pixel bar above and below, and then renders the UI on top of the 1920 1080 scene. it outputs 16:9, but the game is internally rendered at 1920x768 per eurogamer (its actually 22.5:9 or 2.5:1). 

you can't make this shit up 

That isn't a 16:10 screen that a 22.5:9 image with letterboxes applied, the fact that the game creates the letterbox not the monitor does not make it a 16:9 scene

Euro gamer never tested it on any 21:9 monitors, like yourself they're just going by the image in the centre. Which is just letterboxed 16:9.

It's simple, if it was 21:9 it would fill a 21:9 monitor, there would never be letter or pillar boxing.

Run any game that only supports 16:9 and you have 100% the exact same pillar boxing dimensions. You're free to ignore facts all you want, it won't change that it's just a 16:9 image with artificial letter boxing. The fact that the menu and UI elements appear in the black bars is more proof of it.

Also yes, if I stick a DVD or Bluray into my drive and play it; if it's 16:9 it'll have pillar boxing. If it's a proper 2:35:1 aspect ratio movie, there is No pillar boxing or letter boxing at all.

The same with videos on youtube that are in 21:9. They fill up the screen perfectly, while 16:9 one with added letterboxing are a little window in the centre. Just like The Evil Within.

For instance Despicable Me that's 16:9

Jxbvfi0.jpg

Here's Superman that's 2:35:1 aka 21:9

xrh8dDN.jpg

Here's The Youtube Trailer for Gaurdians of the Galaxy.

Proper 21:9

IFzni6u.jpg

Here's one that's 16:9 with added letter boxing. Note the pillar boxing denoting 16:9 content

ul7CmAu.jpg

For reference here's what a game that actually renders at 21:9 and outputs a 21:9 image looks like on a 21:9 monitor.

8ND1zoz.jpg

Here's the Evl within with the letterboxing removed, Still 16:9

kO8Yz1j.png

Here you can see User Interface elements over the fake letter boxing. If it was a true 21:9 rendered image and video that would not be possible. Notice the still apparent 16:9 pillar boxing

GjVsg0S.png

nQMQWtp.png

The Black bars, aka Pillar boxing are only there for 16:9 content. Take any 16:9 image and the pillar boxing with always be 100% the exact same on a 21:9 monitor. Whether it has artifical letterboxing or not. Simply superimposing black bars top and bottom does not trick the monitor or the system.

Euro gamer never tested it on any 21:9 monitors, like yourself they're just going by the image in the centre..

But they she talking about ps4 build, the game scales only with resolution increases in both directions, at 2560 1440 it will render at 2560 1024 and the xbone renders at 1600x624

Thank you for the detailed run down, I was only really wondering if video players recognized the screen they were on, I asummed most recent ones would and computers would play video right, and I knew how games would show that support wider screen. But euro game is just doing their job, they count the pixels that are being rendered, as in the gameplay it's in 23.5:9.

I was only trying to say that this whole time, I know the game outputs a 16:9 picture in the end, because the black bars are part of the image, instead of normally where movies have no data in the black bars and the screen is doing the job. We both would prefer if the ui elements were in the game window only and the game would support arbitrary resolutions but they decided to hard code 16:9 for a final image.

But in the end it's semantics whether they are lying or not. Because the game, as in what changes from scene to scene is 23.5:9 it's not full screen. They would have been lying if they ever indicated they were supporting other screen sizes but they never said that. Yes it sucks, but it's not like they were being dishonest, is 21:9 in the same way as dragons dogma, heavy rain, beyond 2 souls and other such games.

How would you describe it?

I disagree, a bad game to have on their resume? Not a chance, I'm glad to have an old school survival horror game every once in a while and I'm having a ton of fun with it and the only disappointing thing is the below average PC port

I was especially glad that it came out because the genre is getting sparse due to the recent popularity of FPS horror and especially since viceral games breaking up basically means no more dead space

Even if the game wasn't a bad PC port, I still don't see it as a great game, especially compared to some of bethesda's other titles (and RE4/Dead Space 1). Sure, the PC port was extremely disappointing, but I also found the gameplay lacking that same suspense that Dead Space 1, and RE4 gave me. I probably even noticed the bad PC port more, because I was not interested in the game itself.  Could be that I'm just bored of horror and don't get it any more, maybe  ;)

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

But in the end it's semantics whether they are lying or not. Because the game, as in what changes from scene to scene is 23.5:9 it's not full screen. They would have been lying if they ever indicated they were supporting other screen sizes but they never said that. Yes it sucks, but it's not like they were being dishonest, is 21:9 in the same way as dragons dogma, heavy rain, beyond 2 souls and other such games.

How would you describe it?

I would describe it as lying. The Superficial letterboxing is part of the image, it's actively being used by the game for prompts and information. So on everything I and many other users ( even those with multi-monitor setups ) have found it it's not a true 21:9 rendered image. 

The fact that it's hard coded 16:9 makes their statement of 21:9 false in my eyes, and tests really show it.

I find it woefully unacceptable, and I refuse to accept a sub bar experience because the developers are trying to pull one over people.

You might disagree with my opinion, but I cannot deny all the evidence in front of me, especially after relentlessly trying to find a solution.

Even Flawless widescreen's solution which took him several days doesn't even work for all users, and is entirely a no go for AMD users. Simply because the game is hard-coded 16:9. 

For me it's like being advertised a lovely Large coffee, then picking it up at the counter and finding out it's a coffee shot in a large cup. Yes the liquid inside conforms to the shape of the cup ( to some extent ), but it's still not a large cup of coffee. The experience is not remotely the same.

I would describe it as lying. The Superficial letterboxing is part of the image, it's actively being used by the game for prompts and information. So on everything I and many other users ( even those with multi-monitor setups ) have found it it's not a true 21:9 rendered image. 

The fact that it's hard coded 16:9 makes their statement of 21:9 false in my eyes, and tests really show it.

I find it woefully unacceptable, and I refuse to accept a sub bar experience because the developers are trying to pull one over people.

You might disagree with my opinion, but I cannot deny all the evidence in front of me, especially after relentlessly trying to find a solution.

Even Flawless widescreen's solution which took him several days doesn't even work for all users, and is entirely a no go for AMD users. Simply because the game is hard-coded 16:9. 

For me it's like being advertised a lovely Large coffee, then picking it up at the counter and finding out it's a coffee shot in a large cup. Yes the liquid inside conforms to the shape of the cup ( to some extent ), but it's still not a large cup of coffee. The experience is not remotely the same.

Sorry, i meant to ask how you would describe the game, not the lying or not lying, i think we both agree its dissapointing the went the route they did, i was just wondering what you would say about the aspect ratio, they were talking to console player when they said it was 21:9, and i think they really just figured it would be better to use the black bars for something because otherwise a tv with a bad scalar might stretch the image to fullscreen

Sorry, i meant to ask how you would describe the game, not the lying or not lying, i think we both agree its dissapointing the went the route they did, i was just wondering what you would say about the aspect ratio, they were talking to console player when they said it was 21:9, and i think they really just figured it would be better to use the black bars for something because otherwise a tv with a bad scalar might stretch the image to fullscreen

What I think of the game? Sadly I found it to be disappointment. I really enjoyed the first resident evil games as a child, but nothing in this game stood out as good or fun. Nothing gripped me.

The storyline is rather patchy and incoherent with each chapter feeling like it was written and developed by separate teams and then just patched together.

The gameplay mechanics feel clunky and old like I'm playing a playstation 1 game, with bad input lag that makes it annoying to control your character and do fine movements.

I played over 3 hours, and just didn't enjoy it at all, add in the performance, graphical and aspect ratio issues and this game was nothing but a horrible disappointment for me.

Yeah I can see how some mechanics might be clunky but I'm enjoying it, I think it's a solid genre title and it feels really tense in combat, the only technical issue I've seen is some odd vertical screen tear in the middle of the screen only the last time I played

But yeah I'll try to be clear this time~

I meant to ask you what you would say about the aspect ratio if you were the bethsoft employee who said the game was 21:9, instead you'd call it what? 16:9 with black bars, to me that would add to the confusion

I meant to ask you what you would say about the aspect ratio if you were the bethsoft employee who said the game was 21:9, instead you'd call it what? 16:9 with black bars, to me that would add to the confusion

I would say it's letterboxed 16:9, but we use the letterboxed area for UI, and prompts, while attempting to have the game in our artistic direction.

The fact that they called it 21:9 is that has caused confusion in the PC community, and possibly the tiny minority of console gamers that own 21:9 TVs.

If it's true the parts behind the letter boxing isn't rendered, then it's clear that it was probably done because the consoles cannot run the game then.

They already have severe issues keeping 30fps as it is, and if the scenes behind the letter boxing it's rendered then the PS4 is at 768p, and the Xbox at 640p. Not very good, and still shocking since the idTech 5 engine was designed for 60fps and the PS 3 managed rage at 720p 60fps with just 256MB of unified system RAM.

it's rendered then the PS4 is at 768p, and the Xbox at 640p. 

The PS4 is slightly above 900p in total pixels at 1.47mpix vs 1.44 at 900p, and the Xb1 is 1.02mpix, slightly above 720p at .921mpix

Not to dilute the point, they are disappointing resolutions but calling them 768p and 640p makes it sound like they are non native upscaled games(well the xbox is), and makes it sound like they are even lower res than they are.

This game was a rollercoaster of emotions. As for the tech issues, I knocked those out pretty fast with the console commands and Flawless Widescreen. Only issue I has was some minor screen tearing which I beat by unlocking the fps cap completely and letting Nvidis console force vsync and triple buffering. Its extremely playable at that point though not without some major frame drops. And dont get me started on the fact that im running GTX 980s in sli.

Gameplay wise, it is purely on RE nostalgia that I keep coming back to play it. The progression through the game is so disjointed that you never really know where you are in the story arc. Anytime they write themselves into a corner, here comes the hallucinations and youre thrust into some new area. Its also, love it or hate it, the goriest game ive ever played There are a few things it does really well, but without a deep love of RE, it would not have held my attention for long.

Currently playing this now and I must say it looks good for me, but plays like crap on some stages. I hate the random frame drops, and I get that it has pretty high recommended specs but damn, it doesn't look like anything that need that much so why the frame drops?  :huh:

yea.. maybe right now the best game developers are still EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix

didn't sqaure enix die? and we still have R* assuming they dont fuck over pc

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Kinda hard to believe. Those are the same guys who supported modding in Skyrim and Oblivion, both receiving fresh mods every day. They even have that toolkit or whatever. This is sad actually, very sad.

i love horror games

last week i found out that Alien isolation is a bit to hard for me (i'm a noob anyway hahaha...) and this week, i tried The Evil Within. and WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?? ASPECT RATIO?? REALLY??!! LOCKED FPS??!! REALLY??

WHAT ARE U DOING BETHESDA??!!

You are both confusing Bethesda the publisher with Bethesda the developer. They are two different things. The Evil Within is developed by Tango Works, not Bethesda Softworks - who are the developer behind Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3+ etc.

A publisher controls distribution deals, finances part of the game and takes profit after the game is release and the developer is paid. That's it.

Bethesda has zero development involvement in The Evil Within.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.