iPod Classic...superior to iPod Touch?

equippedbum

Keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out. Some things are so extreme it's a waste of time to ponder when the next genetic freak will be born to prove me wrong. If you take this to HA or Sound Science on Headfi a hundred people will gladly try to disprove your point. There's even a 124paged thread smackdown about this topic. I'm being very serious here. Make a thread on HA where you argue that some people can hear the difference based on the reasons you've described, I want to see how they decide to respond. We'll both learn something too. 

When people tell me something as simple as a cable can upgrade sound or that they can hear 16 vs 24bit differences in a proper test, I laugh my ass off. While we're at it, some people are psychics, some people can see gamma rays and hear 50khz and thus negating the accepted 44.1khz sample rate, you just gotta have an open mind! Burden of proof is not on me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find my ass now.  ;)

We're actually thinking about the same thing. On paper (lab test results) there are differences. In real world, very unlikely that anybody could tell the differences using their ears only.

Same like cables, on paper, there are differences, i.e. cable A got 0.0001 less resistance than cable B, etc. In real world, very unlikely that anybody could consistently tell the differences.

The burden of proof is on the claimer(s). Keeping an open mind is just my habit, my courtesy, if you like. I'm keeping an open mind that tooth fairies exist. I don't believe it, but I'm not gonna say it absolutely does not exist (because then the burden of proof is on me, to proof the 'absolutely does not exist'). Burden of proof is again on the claimer(s). Proof it to me, and I'll believe it.

I'm totally serious, go post this on Sound Science or HA. They are more knowledgeable than I am and can unpack things much easier than I can. Think Dark_wizzie on steroids.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

You're confusing bit depth and different masters. Take a 24bit file and convert it down to 16bit. Your ears don't defy science, and if they do you're going to be a millionaire soon. You're not being any more reasonable by saying "you might struggle in some genres". It's typically people who don't understand what is actually different between 24bit vs 16bit that claim to hear differences.

Well I'll be damned. I finally did a test and you're right. Took a while because I'm lazy. The different masters thing never occurred to me. I always assumed the difference I heard was in bit depth, but a quick google search revealed that vinyl is almost always better mastered. Who knew? I did several double blind tests, and I was always able to distinguish FLAC from a CD to FLAC from vinyl, but I was unable to distinguish 16 bit from vinyl to 24 bit from vinyl. I'd never actually listened to a 16 bit file from vinyl before. You just can't find them. Every needle drop I've downloaded has been 24 bit. Very interesting stuff. Although, I'll probably keep downloading in 24 bit just because it is so hard to find 16 bit needle drops. :P thank you for enlightening me. :)

Well I'll be damned. I finally did a test and you're right. Took a while because I'm lazy. The different masters thing never occurred to me. I always assumed the difference I heard was in bit depth, but a quick google search revealed that vinyl is almost always better mastered. Who knew? I did several double blind tests, and I was always able to distinguish FLAC from a CD to FLAC from vinyl, but I was unable to distinguish 16 bit from vinyl to 24 bit from vinyl. I'd never actually listened to a 16 bit file from vinyl before. You just can't find them. Every needle drop I've downloaded has been 24 bit. Very interesting stuff. Although, I'll probably keep downloading in 24 bit just because it is so hard to find 16 bit needle drops. :P thank you for enlightening me. :)

Well then, I would like you thank you too, for listening to me. Sometimes I feel like my voice is outshouted by a ton of... stereotypical placebophile audiopeelz.

Whether the vinyl master is better or not is subjective. IMO the CD versions are just fine, so I don't have to worry about that. If you wanna download in 24bit for convenience or whatever, more power to you. The only time I get annoyed is when people claim 24bit has technical and audible advantages. Hard drive space is cheap anyways. I have my tracks in FLAC even though I know I cannot tell a difference between FLAC and 320kbps mp3. But YOLO! So I take them in flac.  :)

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I've heard that iPod Classic's are better for listening to music, than the newer iPod Touch.

Is there any truth to this?

Get yourself a portable lossless player like the fiio x1 or sansa clip.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Good thread. Gold stars all around for keeping it civil and great information!

I'm sorry for failing you in some other threads then...  :unsure: