Samsung 840/840 EVO Firmware Upgrade - Release

GoodBytes

Pro version doesn't have this bug so no FW available because it's not needed.

No, not the pro version, just the plain 840.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Samsung's 840 EVO update fixes slow reads with old data

An early look at the EVO's Performance Restoration tool

by Geoff Gasior — 6:28 PM on October 14, 2014

Last month, Samsung confirmed that its 840 EVO SSD can suffer from slower read speeds with older data. The company promised to address the issue with updated firmware, and we've been experimenting with the fix.

Before we get into the results of our testing, we should spend a moment on the problem itself. Here's how Samsung describes the issue:

SSDs usually calibrate changes in the statuses of cells over time via the flash management software algorithm. Due to the error in the software algorithm, the 840 EVO performed read-retry processes aggressively, resulting in a drop in overall read performance. This only occurs if the data was kept in its initial cell without changing, and there are no symptoms of reduced read performance if the data was subsequently migrated from those cells or overwritten.

Read-retry is used to compensate for changes in cell voltages, suggesting that voltage drift over time was a key factor here. The EVO's flash management routines evidently haven't been responding to voltage changes correctly.

Fixing the problem is a two-part process managed by Samsung's appropriately named Performance Restoration tool. First, the utility flashes the SSD's firmware with the new EXT0CB6Q revision. Then, it reboots the system and completes the restoration process, which we're told involves "conditioning" the NAND. The entire process is non-destructive, so it shouldn't compromise any data on the drive. It also only needs to be run once. That said, the target drive must have at least 10% free capacity for the tool to work its magic.

The data on the 840 EVOs we have in the lab isn't old enough to be affected by the flaw. Fortunately, our resident developer, Bruno "morphine" Ferreira, has been running an 840 EVO 500GB in his personal system for more than 10 months. Having already noticed slower performance with older files, he bravely volunteered to test Samsung's fix.

The restoration process went off without a hitch, though it took over an hour to condition Bruno's drive. Read speeds seem to be much improved. Below is a screenshot from HD Tach, which tests read performance across the extent of the drive. Click the buttons below the image to switch between results from before and after the fix was applied.

hdtach-before.jpg

Those dips before the fix correspond to performance slowdowns with older data. They're nowhere to be found after the fix, where read speeds are much more consistent overall.

Samsung recommended running HD Tach to evaluate the fix, but we also had Bruno try SSD Read Speed Tester, which was developed specifically in response to the EVO issue. The graphs below depict the range of file read speeds based on the age of the data. Again, use the buttons to switch between the before and after results.

read-before.jpg

The differences here aren't as striking, but there's a definite improvement in read performance for older files. Some of the individual files load more than 2X faster after the fix, and one of them experienced a massive 6X speedup. Your mileage may vary, of course, but Samsung's fix seems to work as advertised.

After applying the EVO update, Bruno also noticed snappier application load times. He says Windows now boots faster, too, particularly after it reaches the desktop and starts filling out the taskbar. We don't have hard data on how the fix impacts load times, but OS and application files are likely to be older, so they're good candidates for a speed boost.

Apart from addressing read speeds with older files, the new EVO firmware is supposed to perform identically to the previous release. Bruno ran a couple of quick CrystalDiskMark benchmarks before and after applying the fix, and the scores are pretty much identical.

box.jpg

Given how the bug manifests, we won't know if the EVO is truly fixed until at least a month from now, when freshly written data will be old enough to exhibit slower read performance. Samsung is confident that the problem has been addressed, though, and the company has updated its validation procedures to look for similar issues in future products. For what it's worth, Samsung says the problem is unique to the 840 EVO and not an artifact of that drive's TLC NAND. The older, TLC-based 840 Series is unaffected, and so is the upcoming 850 EVO, which will use the three-bit version of 3D V-NAND.

If all goes well with final testing, the 840 EVO Performance Restoration tool will be released this week. There are still some associated caveats, like the updater not working with SSDs in RAID arrays or with older AMD SATA drivers, but those restrictions aren't too different than those that typically come along with new SSD firmware. We'll post a link to the update tool once it's available.

Update — Samsung has released its Performance Restoration tool to the masses. The utility is available here, while the installation guide can be found here. Although the tool is Windows-only right now, a DOS-based version is coming before the end of the month. That release should allow Mac and Linux users to perform the update via thumb drive.

Source: Tech Report

Then you're letting your ssd run at hdd speeds. Back up anything important and suck it up.

well. Its quite a work to open the laptop carefully and reclone the ssd. 

Good, now I can recommend the 840 EVO again without any issues whatsoever. Bookmarking this for now because the ones in store now will most likely not have this update

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Awesome, been waiting for this. I was starting to see performance degredation whenever I checked a ssd benchmark. I have only been hitting about 350 sequential reads over 555 when I first got my drive. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Awesome, been waiting for this. I was starting to see performance degredation whenever I checked a ssd benchmark. I have only been hitting about 350 sequential reads over 555 when I first got my drive. 

why did you quote it?  Never mind

I got that ssd, so I am happy to hear this. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

repost dammit it's on the front page.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

YAY! I was starting to get worried as this was my first choice for my 1TB SSD I want, looks like I will be getting it after all! :D

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Isn't affected.

"firmware upgrade for it's TLC based SSD's, the Samsung 840 and 840 EVO series" The post states that it is for both and I had assumed it was correct. @GoodBytes You might want to edit the post and title so more people don't get confused like I did. The articles say the plain 840 series is unaffected because they use a different controller.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I'm happy about this also but we won't really know for a couple month's if they truly fixed the problem.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

why did you quote it?  Never mind

I got that ssd, so I am happy to hear this. 

lol force of habit. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

And yet some of us have had one for nine months or a year now.

Don't be a condescending ass.

I've had a 500GB 840 since the Black Friday shortly after its launch. I got it for $300 and only recently have prices dropped below that so I'm quite happy with my purchase. I think that'll make it at least 2 years this coming black friday that ive had it now.

Thanks not unsurprising and probably isn't even related to this.

Reads seem to be the only thing effected by the issue and I have had my drive approaching 5 months...so what else could it be? I will see when the restoration is finished.

Reads seem to be the only thing effected by the issue and I have had my drive approaching 5 months...so what else could it be? I will see when the restoration is finished.

The drive being more full? Usage of the drive and maybe possibly no trim.

The drive being more full? Usage of the drive and maybe possibly no trim.

trim is activated, drive 1/3rd full. I have actually activated a few features for my ssd that are not natively on as win 7 default. But those are more of a reliability precautions that does not effect speed. 

After the restoration, my read speeds jumped from 350 to 470. Still not the original 550ish I was getting but obviously an improvement. 

Before;

pY4L64u.png

After;

xZNTJvF.png

FW update was fast, but then it's moving the files somewhere else and back which took almost 2-3 hours for me.

Before;

pY4L64u.png

After;

xZNTJvF.png

FW update was fast, but then it's moving the files somewhere else and back which took almost 2-3 hours for me.

i had to delete a game from my mSATA ssd (used for games) to make the update...it takes quite a while

i had to delete a game from my mSATA ssd (used for games) to make the update...it takes quite a while

They are probably going through all the data and changing how it was saved.

its marginaly cheaper and the evo out performs in nearly every way but yeah.......baaaa

yeah monumental....catastrophic.....so big that it took 1 FW update to fix....oh the pain

While EVO is faster when you are comparing new SSDs you have to have in mind that SSDs speed decrease over time and with Crucial MLC Flash it wont decrease as much as with Samsung TLC Flash used in EVO. So overtime Crucial SSD will be faster.

I'll probably go for the USB stick without OS approach on my 840 EVOs.  The PC and netbook are due for a format anyway.  Excellent excuse to wipe all my SSDs and start fresh

Question though : Is it only the 2.5" EVO that's affected or every 840 EVO regardless of form factor?  I have an mSATA EVO in one of my laptops as well.

EDIT : nevermind, looks like the mSATA needs it too.