How do I Linux?

Go to solution Solved by Computer,

Oh boy! Nothing like getting started with Linux!

First, your distro. Despite what many people say, I don't recommend Ubuntu or any of its variants. If you really want to learn Linux, avoid Ubuntu. Its great for people who need a free OS and are not very tech savvy, but isn't a good Linux experience. I would try Fedora. It's pretty easy to figure out, but won't hold you hand the way Ubuntu will. If you want to get into server stuff, you should dive right into CentOS. Fedora can be downloaded at fedoraproject.org and CentOS can be found at centos.org

Drivers can be a bit tough at first, but they aren't to bad. Most distros will come with an open source driver. This will do you fine if you plan to learn the terminal and learn the basics of Linux along with basic web browsing. If you plan on doing anything more intense, like watching HD video, playing games, or editing video, you will need to download the proprietary Nvidia or AMD drivers for your card. These drivers will need to be updated manually from the terminal (Usually). I can't tell you how to install them because it will vary based on your card. Step by step directions can usually be found online without too much trouble.

"How do I use Linux". That's a big question to answer. When you install your OS and boot into (assuming you picked a distro with a GUI) things won't be too overwhelming. Its similar to sitting down at a Mac for the first time, or using an Android phone when you've only touched iPhone. It'll take some getting used to, but you should find your way around pretty easy after a bit. Where Linux starts to get tough is using the terminal. Most distros come with BASH as their default shell (That is, their default set of commands the computer recognizes.) A great site to learn BASH is http://linuxcommand.org/

I'm a PC Master Race gamer nerd person. I'm a power user, and tech savvy is my middle name. So I think I'm going to go with Fedora. Thanks for all of the help. 

I want to try Linux out of curiosity. Which distro should I get? where do I get it from? How do graphics drivers and stuff work with Linux? How do I use Linux? 

I know I'm asking a lot. I just need some help.

ubuntu and just go to ubuntu.com drivers go pretty much auto on ubuntu basically like using mac osx its pretty simple.

Ubuntu is basically Debian with a poor attempt at duplicating OS X Aqua thrown on top.

You take Linus's name and you take away the s and add an x.  There you go.  Simple eh?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The best way to try linux is to grab one of the easier distros like ubuntu. You'll figure out for yourself how it works as it's not all that different from other OSes.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

First, your distro. Despite what many people say, I don't recommend Ubuntu or any of its variants. If you really want to learn Linux, avoid Ubuntu. Its great for people who need a free OS and are not very tech savvy, but isn't a good Linux experience. I would try Fedora. It's pretty easy to figure out, but won't hold you hand the way Ubuntu will. If you want to get into server stuff, you should dive right into CentOS. Fedora can be downloaded at fedoraproject.org and CentOS can be found at centos.org

Drivers can be a bit tough at first, but they aren't to bad. Most distros will come with an open source driver. This will do you fine if you plan to learn the terminal and learn the basics of Linux along with basic web browsing. If you plan on doing anything more intense, like watching HD video, playing games, or editing video, you will need to download the proprietary Nvidia or AMD drivers for your card. These drivers will need to be updated manually from the terminal (Usually). I can't tell you how to install them because it will vary based on your card. Step by step directions can usually be found online without too much trouble.

"How do I use Linux". That's a big question to answer. When you install your OS and boot into (assuming you picked a distro with a GUI) things won't be too overwhelming. Its similar to sitting down at a Mac for the first time, or using an Android phone when you've only touched iPhone. It'll take some getting used to, but you should find your way around pretty easy after a bit. Where Linux starts to get tough is using the terminal. Most distros come with BASH as their default shell (That is, their default set of commands the computer recognizes.) A great site to learn BASH is http://linuxcommand.org/

Lot's of people are recommending Ubuntu. I started using Linux about a year ago. Ubuntu was my first go-to as well (as you can see, many people like and recommend it) However, soon after installing it, I uninstalled it and got Linux Mint instead. I like it a lot more. It's much more like Windows (Ubuntu is more Mac) and it was easier to get used to.  You'd be fine with either distro though. They're free so you can try 'em both and see which you like the most

I've tried out Elementary OS and Fedora as well. Both are nice too. Elementary is still in beta I think though

Welcome to the forum, BTW  :)

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I'm a PC Master Race gamer nerd person. I'm a power user, and tech savvy is my middle name. So I think I'm going to go with Fedora. Thanks for all of the help. 

Just because one person doesn't like ubunut doesn't mean you shouldn't try it. Honestly choosing a distro is really all preference and the only real way to find out what is "the best" for you is to try them all. Download virtualbox and browse around on distro watch to find something you like!