Having an issue with installing Ubuntu

So I have Ubuntu (64-bit) loaded onto a flash drive (used Pen Drive Linux). I put the flashdrive into my computer, and booted into it. I choose to try out Ubuntu, then once I'm in the OS, I click on the install button. I get to the part where I choose a hard drive to install Ubuntu on, so I select which one, click install, and then I get this error message:

9d392dc903.jpg

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

COMIC SANS

Wrong format on drives? I had a similar problem with widows and that fixed it.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

at the partitioning you probably forgot to mount the root files (the system files). when you create a partition you have an option "mount point" or something like that and you need to select "\" 

Wrong format on drives? I had a similar problem with widows and that fixed it.

But the drive was formatted to NTFS.

COMIC SANS

Are you trying to dual-boot or replace windows with ubuntu?

at the partitioning you probably forgot to mount the root files (the system files). when you create a partition you have an option "mount point" or something like that and you need to select "\" 

I believe I saw something about \dos and \Windows. Wasn't sure what it meant though. 

COMIC SANS

Are you trying to dual-boot or replace windows with ubuntu?

Dual boot, but I don't want Ubuntu on the same drive as Windows. 

COMIC SANS

But the drive was formatted to NTFS.

Unless Linux isn't compatible with NTFS (try MBR) I've no idea.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

you need to make a / (root) partition and a swap.  that's all you need

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Unless Linux isn't compatible with NTFS (try MBR) I've no idea.

NTFS can be MBR or GPT

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I believe I saw something about \dos and \Windows. Wasn't sure what it meant though. 

i take it you are trying to install on a ext4 partition.

you just have to create a partition as ext4 and as mounting point use "\" without anything else

i would save myself the headache and get another hard drive :P ( I am oppessed to harddrive partitioning)

you need to make a / (root) partition and a swap.  that's all you need

Elaborate.

I have no idea what you mean.

:mellow:

COMIC SANS

NTFS can be MBR or GPT

This shows how little I know about drive formats.

You using WIndows 8(.1)? Think I heard Linux was harder to install with W8 installed.

I am, but I'm not using WUBI to install it, so there shouldn't be any issues...?

COMIC SANS

Dual boot, but I don't want Ubuntu on the same drive as Windows. 

For that you will need to add a / (root), and /swap to your second hard drive in the partition manager. Your second hard drive should be called sdb. Refer to this page http://ivanblagojevic.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-14-04-lts-on-an-empty-hard-disk-tutorial/

Elaborate.

have you shrinked your windows partition or do you have some free space on your hard drive?

It's easier to install ubuntu 14.04 when there's W8 than when there's W7...

honestly i never had any problems installing linux alongside w8 as well as w7

Elaborate.

First off, you're going to need a EUFI installer if you want to dual boot with Win 8 (since win8 uses EUFI only)

Use rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.10.exe

Boot the USB after you made it

Take your empty space (make sure none of your files are on it) leave ~2GB for swap

Click create new partition

Click the drop down and select the /

Click the other drop down and make sure it says primary partition

Next use the 2gb and select swap and primary

then install ubuntu

okay use the automatic option do not make your special partitions as they do everything for you and it is much easier i had the same prob prevviously

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

It's easier to install ubuntu 14.04 when there's W8 than when there's W7...

It's usually harder for people because they aren't used to UEFI installers

This shows how little I know about drive formats.

I was confused at first, but I've done a lot of 'research' on it

okay use the automatic option do not make your special partitions as they do everything for you and it is much easier i had the same prob prevviously

that usually just overwrites windows which is not what the op wants