Having an issue with installing Ubuntu

First off, you're going to need a EUFI installer if you want to dual boot with Win 8 (since win8 uses EUFI only)

Use rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-1.4.10.exe

Boot the USB after you made it

Take your empty space (make sure none of your files are on it) leave ~2GB for swap

Click create new partition

Click the drop down and select the /

Click the other drop down and make sure it says primary partition

Next use the 2gb and select swap and primary

then install ubuntu

Alright, thanks man. I'll try this in a little bit and report my results. 

COMIC SANS

what's wrong with the normal ubuntu installer? just asking because i don't use ubuntu

Nothings wrong I just don't think the tool that he used the burn the usb made it EUFI (because it supports it, but you need the right USB tool)

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

that usually just overwrites windows which is not what the op wants

not if you do a ertain way as i have done this before

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I was confused at first, but I've done a lot of 'research' on it

You have indeed.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Maybe the error is because you did not assign any filesystem to be mounted in the root directory ( / ) and therefore, there is nowhere to install to.  Haven't used ubuntu in an age so not 100% sure.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Are you using a new HDD ? If so I'd disconnect the windows drive altogether during the install . the installer should format the new drive for you - if it complains use gparted and format the drive then install. Afer installing shut down add the windows drive boot into Linux and run Grub2 I use "Grub customizer" this will find windows and set up your boot menu (you can set up which OS starts automatically on time out) - make sure that linux is your primary drive (ie boots first- This can be changed in your BIOS ) do not install grub on all drives (if it asks) this may damage Windows. This method is very safe you can always start again if things go sideways on you.