Computer reboots without warning: No BSOD

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

I know it sounds REALLY weird, but how about turning off your router when doing heavy tasks? I know that sometimes, at night when my PC was Hibernated (not shut down - using hybrid sleep) the thing would wake up at night because, for some reason, the Gateway router from Comcast wanted to use my computer at night. So, try doing a heavy task with the router off. If it restarts (that's what mine would do), then you can cancel out another possibility. 

BTW, I managed to change the setting that allows the router to do that in Power Options. I know this is an issue as I always seem to forget about it when I've installed/reinstalled Windows.

Becasue your GPU is not reallty adiquite for 4k in a game. Not sure how downsampling affects it but I would try it without DSR

Becasue your GPU is not reallty adiquite for 4k in a game. Not sure how downsampling affects it but I would try it without DSR

If it matters, then I'm only trying it in games that are easier to run, so my card can handle them without a sweat.  Are you suggesting that crazy-high resolutions brings a negative impact on older cards?  I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious now.

[witty signature]

My PSU should be fine, it's a Corsair CX600M. I don't know how that wouldn't be able to power a single-GPU setup.

Have you tried resetting your CMOS?

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

Dunno if it will help but I had an issue like this when I had an AMD card back in 09, I cant remember the name but it was an asus card and a bunch of sites I seen rated the card as having 1gb on board memory. The official site said 512.

I cant remember how I figured it out but came to the realization windows thought it had 1gb of memory and it was actually 512 and I assume when it was trying to access it it would just reboot itself. It makes more sense that would cause a BSOD thinking about it. But I replaced the card with a GTS250 and it never happened again. 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

If it matters, then I'm only trying it in games that are easier to run, so my card can handle them without a sweat. Are you suggesting that crazy-high resolutions brings a negative impact on older cards? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just curious now.

I just had this happen to me take the GPU out and run onboard graphics see if that crashes in like 2-3 hours if it doesn't it means your GPU or PCI terminals are fried

make sure you use it in that 3 hours like basic load stuff web browsing and reading writing files

Have you tried resetting your CMOS?

Not yet.

Dunno if it will help but I had an issue like this when I had an AMD card back in 09, I cant remember the name but it was an asus card and a bunch of sites I seen rated the card as having 1gb on board memory. The official site said 512.

I cant remember how I figured it out but came to the realization windows thought it had 1gb of memory and it was actually 512 and I assume when it was trying to access it it would just reboot itself. It makes more sense that would cause a BSOD thinking about it. But I replaced the card with a GTS250 and it never happened again.

I can manually set the RAM allocation in the UEFI. Ive been running my NVIDIA I'll try running without the IGP-

I just had this happen to me take the GPU out and run onboard graphics see if that crashes in like 2-3 hours if it doesn't it means your GPU or PCI terminals are fried

...or not. I'll do both this week.

[witty signature]

Maybe I missed it somewhere on here, but did you check the temperature of your GPU? I saw you had CPU temperatures listed. GPU-Z is a handy tool to read GPU temperatures. It may be shutting down because of heat. If so, removing the card and running on integrated graphics (like the poster above) should function normally. Once you put the card back in, try running something intense like furmark or Heaven and see if it fails during those stress tests. This should prove it is a GPU issue.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Maybe I missed it somewhere on here, but did you check the temperature of your GPU? I saw you had CPU temperatures listed. GPU-Z is a handy tool to read GPU temperatures. It may be shutting down because of heat. If so, removing the card and running on integrated graphics (like the poster above) should function normally. Once you put the card back in, try running something intense like furmark or Heaven and see if it fails during those stress tests. This should prove it is a GPU issue.

I haven't thought of that. Though this also happens when I'm, say, Web browsing, as well. I'll run DSR with Afterburner and see what I get. Then then I'll go ahead and run off of integrated.

PS: Before replying, I accidentally clicked on "Mark best answer," sorry.

[witty signature]

I'm back with an update; I would just like to take a moment to thank everyone who has helped me thus far; this problem has spanned several months (happened earlier this year, reverted to 8.0, only recently went back to 8.1 and started again), and no one has given me support of this caliber at all... I just want to thank everyone for that.

Anyway, here's what I have.

With GPU downscaling + IGP:  Only got around ~54°C when my computer crashed.

With GPU downscaling, IGP disabled:  Same thing.

With IGP, GPU removed:  Played a game of UT3, paused the game to have dinner, came back, and finished the game, no problem.  Web browsed a bit, launched TF2, then the computer restart on the Main Menu while setting my graphics options.  It also reset beforehand, while installing the graphics drivers (the computer restart while I was installing something to help me troubleshoot why my computer kept restarting... RIP me)

All tests were run with my Crucial Ballistix RAM, rated to 1600 MHz, downclocked to 1333 MHz, as that was a suspicion of mine. 

So I'm guessing the GPU can be ruled out.  RAM as well.

I'm getting stumped... I guess I should clear CMOS, then?  That was suggested a few posts back.  I'm about to throw my rig out the window at this point. :mellow:

[witty signature]

I haven't thought of that. Though this also happens when I'm, say, Web browsing, as well. I'll run DSR with Afterburner and see what I get. Then then I'll go ahead and run off of integrated.

PS: Before replying, I accidentally clicked on "Mark best answer," sorry.

You got my hopes up with the "Best Answer"! Ha ha. No worries.

I'm back with an update; I would just like to take a moment to thank everyone who has helped me thus far; this problem has spanned several months (happened earlier this year, reverted to 8.0, only recently went back to 8.1 and started again), and no one has given me support of this caliber at all... I just want to thank everyone for that.

Anyway, here's what I have.

With GPU downscaling + IGP:  Only got around ~54°C when my computer crashed.

With GPU downscaling, IGP disabled:  Same thing.

With IGP, GPU removed:  Played a game of UT3, paused the game to have dinner, came back, and finished the game, no problem.  Web browsed a bit, launched TF2, then the computer restart on the Main Menu while setting my graphics options.  It also reset beforehand, while installing the graphics drivers (the computer restart while I was installing something to help me troubleshoot why my computer kept restarting... RIP me)

All tests were run with my Crucial Ballistix RAM, rated to 1600 MHz, downclocked to 1333 MHz, as that was a suspicion of mine. 

So I'm guessing the GPU can be ruled out.  RAM as well.

I'm getting stumped... I guess I should clear CMOS, then?  That was suggested a few posts back.  I'm about to throw my rig out the window at this point. :mellow:

The odd part to me is that it isn't giving a BSOD so it doesn't seem like an OS issue, it seems hardware related. You can try clearing the CMOS then. Just for giggles, what have you done on the OS side of things in terms of checking its health? I'm curious if SFC finds anything. 

Also, I looked at the Google Doc you posted on the previous page. The first error log actually has a hit on the Microsoft Support page. It's for Vista but it's still worth checking out. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/0xc0000011/925e3627-ac69-42f5-8bd2-68b475dde0cc

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

I know it sounds REALLY weird, but how about turning off your router when doing heavy tasks? I know that sometimes, at night when my PC was Hibernated (not shut down - using hybrid sleep) the thing would wake up at night because, for some reason, the Gateway router from Comcast wanted to use my computer at night. So, try doing a heavy task with the router off. If it restarts (that's what mine would do), then you can cancel out another possibility. 

BTW, I managed to change the setting that allows the router to do that in Power Options. I know this is an issue as I always seem to forget about it when I've installed/reinstalled Windows.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

buy a raspberry pi as an alternative PC for the time being if you need a cheap stable fix for now

Holy **** I think that did it.

I removed my Wireless adapter (TP-Link TL-WN851ND, by the way) and played UT3 for a few rounds on DSR, IGP enabled, and my computer was stable under heavy load from it.

So now I'm running off of some USB adapter I got from an old computer... that's a personal matter.

I'll keep going on like this, and I'll report back after a few days and see if problems ensue. I won't mark a best answer yet, though.

[witty signature]

Holy **** I think that did it.

I removed my Wireless adapter (TP-Link TL-WN851ND, by the way) and played UT3 for a few rounds on DSR, IGP enabled, and my computer was stable under heavy load from it.

So now I'm running off of some USB adapter I got from an old computer... that's a personal matter.

I'll keep going on like this, and I'll report back after a few days and see if problems ensue. I won't mark a best answer yet, though.

Mmkay. Hope I helped man!\

EDIT: In case you need an actually good USB wifi dongle thingamajig, I use one of these. It works without fault.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Yeah, absolutely no problems after pulling the card. Fancy that.

It's probably because the card didn't have native/official support for Win 8.1.

[witty signature]

Yeah, absolutely no problems after pulling the card. Fancy that.

It's probably because the card didn't have native/official support for Win 8.1.

Well, then glad all is well now!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted last month that I get sudden restarts when installing NVidia drivers 344.11, I found out that using my front USB ports causes the PC to restart. It has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers! sorry!

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

I posted last month that I get sudden restarts when installing NVidia drivers 344.11, I found out that using my front USB ports causes the PC to restart. It has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers! sorry!

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly