Computer reboots without warning: No BSOD

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

I know it sounds REALLY weird, but how about turning off your router when doing heavy tasks? I know that sometimes, at night when my PC was Hibernated (not shut down - using hybrid sleep) the thing would wake up at night because, for some reason, the Gateway router from Comcast wanted to use my computer at night. So, try doing a heavy task with the router off. If it restarts (that's what mine would do), then you can cancel out another possibility. 

BTW, I managed to change the setting that allows the router to do that in Power Options. I know this is an issue as I always seem to forget about it when I've installed/reinstalled Windows.

This problem, has driven me insane several times over.  Sometimes, I will be in the middle of a game (Borderlands 2 or TF2 these days), I'll be playing, sometimes right at the Main Menu, or sometimes after launching it after playing for hours, then all of a sudden my computer restarts.  No BSOD or anything, my screen simply turns black, and I see my UEFI POST, as if I hit the reset button.

This is seemingly random, but only when exposed to a load (such as a game).  Funnily enough, this also started happening when I downgraded against my will upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1, except now that Microsoft is practically forcing everyone to 8.1 now by denying support and all.

Anywho, here are my specs:

AMD A-10 6800K, OC to 4.5 GHz @ 1.3875, but is back to stock for now, cooler is CM Hyper 212 EVO

ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ mATX motherboard

8 GB Crucial Ballistix RAM, 2x4 GB @ 1600 MHz

Gigabyte OC NVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti

Corsair CX600M

Windows 8.1 64-bit

All drivers are up to date.

What are my options here?  I've gone to the ends of Earth to find fixes, however I am looking at Event Viewer, which is a start.  I'll post some logs tomorrow.

[witty signature]

Its not related to 8.1 I can tell you that. Have you watched your temps?

So are there critical errors in the even viewer?

Its not related to 8.1 I can tell you that. Have you watched your temps?

So are there critical errors in the even viewer?

My temps are fine.  Ever since I installed the EVO, I've never seen my CPU go over 65 when testing different overclocks.  Usually they never exceed 55.  Also note that sometimes this happens before I have had a chance to raise the temps.

The only critical errors I know of are "The computer didn't shut down properly"  or "The computer rebooted unexpectedly."

[witty signature]

The temps sensors on the FM2 boards are a little wacky. You need to use the ASRock software to read them correctly

The temps sensors on the FM2 boards are a little wacky. You need to use the ASRock software to read them correctly

I'm aware; I'm using A-Tuning and AMD Overdrive to monitor. Beforehand I've been using SpeedFan.

[witty signature]

Welp, I had nothing but Steam, Firefox, and Event Viewer up when it happened again.  Event Viewer shows nothing that could be related to it this time around.

This makes no sense.

EDIT:  Happened a few minutes into Borderlands 2, here are a few logs:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EnuuWaSCw5aUOSIwew5Xiqu683fqVgoGgseQ0GH6Rp4/pub

[witty signature]

Yeah, I know, triple-posting, but an edit wouldn't really be beneficial.

Event Viewer is showing nothing beneficial.  I have gotten the restarts now from doing nothing more than web browsing or using Steam, in which I can't use my computer for more than 20 minutes is very aggravating.  I have also reinstalled my graphics drivers, to no avail, and have also reseated the CPU power cord, in which it was slightly loose, so I'll see how that goes.

[witty signature]

The same thing is happening to me since installing NVidia driver 344.11, sudden restarts while playing games. Can range from 15 mins to 2 hours

"If Everton were playing at the bottom of the garden, I'd pull the curtains." - Bill Shankly

The same thing is happening to me since installing NVidia driver 344.11, sudden restarts while playing games. Can range from 15 mins to 2 hours

Interesting...

I'll be home in a few hours, I'll try reverting back then. Don't think that's what it is, but it's worth a shot.

[witty signature]

I didn't get around to it yesterday; tried reverting, computer crashed/rebooted three times in 40 minutes

[witty signature]

Start over and bench build it no case. Format, new BIOS drivers Double check the cooler that its install right

Could be some sort of static overload going through a USB port and your computer is shutting down to prevent damage. Do you have anything plugged in to a USB port that has a metal ending? I say this because my G930 charger used to cause my PC to reboot whenever I stood up, I'm assuming it did this because of what I previously said.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Start over and bench build it no case. Format, new BIOS drivers Double check the cooler that its install right

Does it really have to go down to this? Ugh. I'll get it done as soon as I can, but I'll report back whenever I do it.

[witty signature]

Well its better than trying to live with it restarting

Well, yeah...

I'll see about getting that done.

[witty signature]

The only other thing is the CM 212 is a bit tricky to install. If you have it off a little it can cause the restarts

The only other thing is the CM 212 is a bit tricky to install. If you have it off a little it can cause the restarts

Yeah, that was a bit difficult when I first installed it.  I should be able to get away with simply moving it when the motherboard's sideways.

I'm backing up my HDD right now; copying Steam games takes a while. As far as the actual back-up, Windows is being a bit picky with me, and instead of listing my 1.5 TB HDD to backup to, it only shows my 80 GB HDD... anyone know a quick fix?

[witty signature]

Check your disk management. Maybe it doesnt have an active partition

Dang, you're quick.  Thank you.

[witty signature]

A small update:

I had a few troubles with formatting and reinstalling... Nothing I wasn't able to do. I'm reinstalling Windows, then I'll do some experimenting with my Wireless network card; I think that's the problem. I'll report back after I make some progress.

[witty signature]

Drivers updated, downloaded Windows 8.1. After some experimenting, I think I found a lead; my computer crashed when I was playing Payday the Heist at 2560*2048, using NVIDIA DSR. After shutting down, my CPU heatsink was cool to the touch, but my GPU isn't. I'll do some stress testing tonight and tomorrow; I hope the warranty is intact.

[witty signature]

I think I'm boiling down to a solution. I think.

I've done some digging around, and some guy on Tom's Hardware with a similar problem said that he activated X-boost on his ASROCK mobo which apparently whisked the problem away for him. All it really does is increase the FSB frequency while lowering RAM speeds... Do you think having the RAM too high would cause an OS restarting without warning? Meanwhile I downclocked my RAM from 1600 to 1333 MHz to see if my rig will crash.

[witty signature]

could also a lack of power from psu? I have fm2 also and try reseting your cmos then do that, I don't remember what i did to fix it but i don't have that issue anymore

Current Build: Desk

My case is my most expensive part

Its Almost 2015 and I don't have an SSD

could also a lack of power from psu? I have fm2 also and try reseting your cmos then do that, I don't remember what i did to fix it but i don't have that issue anymore

My PSU should be fine, it's a Corsair CX600M. I don't know how that wouldn't be able to power a single-GPU setup.

Your running 4k on that system? Over heating?

No, but I am running 2x DSR on some games, 2560*2048. Why do you ask?

[witty signature]