PC Sales down 1.7%

thekeemo

PC sales are still struggling but a new study shows that sales have dropped 1.7% in Q3 instead of the 4.1% that was expected

Lenovo now has 20 percent of the global PC market, ahead of Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Acer and Apple - as each company look to revitalize the struggling market. Companies are struggling to try to adapt to an increasingly mobile market - and while PC hardware continues to evolve - many consumers and businesses don't need to upgrade current PCs at the same rate they did just a few years ago.

"Reaching the 20% mark in global PC share is a great milestone for Lenovo - and we got there even faster than expected," said Yang Yuanqing, Lenovo CEO, in a statement. "While others have been looking for a game plan that works, we have been executing ours and the results speak for themselves. Not only have we reached another record high and solidified our PC leadership position for the 6th straight quarter, but we have diversified our business at the same time."

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/40473/idc-notes-pc-shipments-dropped-1-7-in-q3-better-than-expected/index.html

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

whats this have to do with anything

PC's are dangerous man, kids shouldn't even be able to touch them.

This mightn't not been the best time for this link wasn't it.

Because he had a hard drive.

Because custom PC's are the best.

Genuinely curious as to what effect custom builders and replacement components have on the sales numbers. Usually when sales numbers hit news it is always companies like Dell, Lenovo etc who are providing their personal numbers. Maybe if NCIX etc would show us how their sales are going.

Ya if thats not including the custom builds then its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. if they just counted the number of processors sold that would count.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Genuinely curious as to what effect custom builders and replacement components have on the sales numbers. Usually when sales numbers hit news it is always companies like Dell, Lenovo etc who are providing their personal numbers. Maybe if NCIX etc would show us how their sales are going.

^^^ Was just going to bring this up. Components sold to actually build a computer aren't taken into account when there's another "PC sales are down again" article in the news.

"as each company look to revitalize the struggling market."

Yet, millions and millions of dollars still get pumped into R&D of new, faster,better components for Desktops, and new products like the GTX980 has hundereds of back orders at stores. Doesn't sound like it's struggeling that much.

^^^ Was just going to bring this up. Components sold to actually build a computer aren't taken into account when there's another "PC sales are down again" article in the news.

"as each company look to revitalize the struggling market."

Yet, millions and millions of dollars still get pumped into R&D of new, faster,better components for Desktops, and new products like the GTX980 has hundereds of back orders at stores. Doesn't sound like it's struggeling that much.

I have a feeling they included laptops because the mentioned macs

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have a feeling they included laptops because the mentioned macs

Surely not. Wouldn't they mention if it's laptops as well? I think they may be refering to Desktops when mentioning PCs

Surely not. Wouldn't they mention if it's laptops as well? I think they may be refering to Desktops when mentioning PCs

then why is apple metioned they dont really sell desktops (if you can call them that)

Let's be real people, the amount of people who actually build custom computers is very small relative to all the computer sales in the world. 

We live in a geeky bubble on the internet, surrounded by people like us. In my grade I know of three people who have custom pc's. Out of around 400 kids. Everyone else has a laptop.  

then why is apple metioned they dont really sell desktops (if you can call them that)

They will probably be including the iMac in those sales figures

So... pre-made Lenovo, Dell, Apple sales are down 1.7%

I would like to see a graph comparing drop in sales with pre-mades to the rise in % of custom builds.

It definitely seems like more people are custom building then from 13 years ago when I first started.

Let's be real people, the amount of people who actually build custom computers is very small relative to all the computer sales in the world. 

We live in a geeky bubble on the internet, surrounded by people like us. In my grade I know of three people who have custom pc's. Out of around 400 kids. Everyone else has a laptop.  

oh god i an engineering student (so geeks everywhere) and there are 3 of us who even know the difference between a cpu, gpu and what GHz mean

oh god i an engineering student (so geeks everywhere) and there are 3 of us who even know the difference between a cpu, gpu and what GHz mean

Exactly! 

I wish average consumers were more educated. But if they really don't care that's their decision. 

I'll sit here saving money, playing superior games and being more efficient with work. 

TIL laptops aren't PCs

You people are weird. 

Laptops are PCs. Just portable ones. 

If this article specified "Desktop PCs" then it would only be desktop PCs. 

Too bad it's a tweaktown article and therefore horrible. 

here is some better information:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2793921

Laptops are PC's,  Technically so are tablet computers but I believe gartner and IDC draw the line there for clearer understanding of market trending.

Custom builds have very little effect on the pc industry, here you can see discrete gpu sales dropped 17% over the last year, while  desktop only pc sales only dropped 1.7%, this suggests that there are actually less custom builders this year than last year and most GPU sales are going into prebuilt PC's.

What the statistics suggest is that the people are moving to laptops and tablets/phones instead of desktop computers.  Or the other possibility is that large IT consumers (corporate clients) still haven't upgraded. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Laptops are PCs. Just portable ones. 

If this article specified "Desktop PCs" then it would only be desktop PCs. 

Too bad it's a tweaktown article and therefore horrible. 

here is some better information:

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2793921

Laptops are PC's,  Technically so are tablet computers but I believe gartner and IDC draw the line there for clearer understanding of market trending.

Yes, I know Laptops technically are PC's (I'm sure the rest of us do as well). I was refering to the badly written article, as they seem to talk about "the PC" when talking about the "Desktop"

This again?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

iMac and Mac Pro are both desktop machines. Having a mobile processor does not make it less powerful. Clock for clock a 4980HQ is as strong under load as a 4770k at 4 GHz each.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

These do not take into account people building their own PC's does it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

These do not take into account people building their own PC's does it.

No they don't, it's very hard to find figures for the number of home made pc's,  I suggest domestic mobo sales would give at least a theoretical upper limit. while discrete GPU shipments can give us a theoretical upper limit for gaming oriented machines.  See my earlier post for the figures on that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Funny, just a week ago I read that in Norway specifically tablet sales were stalling and plummeting, while PC sales were rising again, and quite sharply at that.

The ratio of self-built to pre-made is also going up here, but was quite a lot higher than the global average to begin with, Norway has always been very self-build oriented.

I suggest domestic mobo sales would give at least a theoretical upper limit.

I usually buy a backup motherboard at the end of a generation, whenever I've used a system for more than 2 years.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.