"The Penetrator" a watercooled FT05

spwath

Here is a good read:

And also, heat rises and cool air sinks is a stupid belief that should be weeded out entirely for computers, unless it's all natural convection. Remember, air goes where you push it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfoo go_quote.gif

I don't think there is a definitive answer on what is "better". Clearly depends on case design, fan placement and direction of flow etc. But not due to “hot air goes up” effects.

Yes, heat rises, but stack effect/convection flow rates when compared with any type of forced ventilation are anemic.
In buildings you can talk about stack ventilation / chimney effects easier, as by comparison you have much larger interior volumes for air to stratify, wind blowing slow but massive volumes of air on the outside to create pressure differences between the top /bottom / sides of the structure.

All that to achieve what? A few air-changes per hour (i.e. replacing 100% of the interior air with fresh air). Top requirements are what? Like 30 Air changes per hour for busy places like bars, to 40-60 Air Changes for commercial Kitchens. Normal housing / offices etc are usually in the middle single digits, 4~6. The latter is attainable with natural ventilation (i.e. combination of pressure differences and natural convection).

A case is what? 5 cubic fit of space average?
Nah…much less…a 900D is a tad less than 4 cu ft.
A 540D is 2.2 cu. ft.

And we have fans that displace (nominal) 20-30cu ft. at really low rpm.
The AF140s like those in the 540 claim 68 cfm…that means that in an ideal condition, and with a heavy, 50% restriction due to mesh/filters/internals we will still have some 30 cu. ft moved around for each “paired” intake / exhaust fan set per minute.

That translates to roughly 800 air changes per hour, using just 2x 140mm fans…
An effective 20 cfm airflow, would still result to more than 540 air changes per hour.

I hope you realize that the natural buoyancy of hot air, convection and gravity forces are simply not even in the ballpark of “resisting” forced ventilation. The effect of those falls in the “measurement error/tolerances” magnitude.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Heat only works like that in natural convection, the fans would push the heat away, it's been discussed over and over again. It would be better for him to exhaust the heat rather than pump it into his tiny case which won't take long to heat up during gaming and the temp in his case will have an effect on his coolant by a degree or so. how many fans are exhausting on the case?

Doesn't matter, with hot air going on to GPU, reaches 60 at load.

CPU is 38 at load

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Heat only works like that in natural convection, the fans would push the heat away, it's been discussed over and over again. It would be better for him to exhaust the heat rather than pump it into his tiny case which won't take long to heat up during gaming and the temp in his case will have an effect on his coolant by a degree or so. how many fans are exhausting on the case?

Another thing, it really doesn't do much, the motherboard temp is 36.

The temps are low so.

It really doesn't effect it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

very nice man, enjoyed this :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Tiring.

Everything barely fits. The rad touches both sides, and the rad and res is not even attached.

I might make a PSU shroud.

I think I might be the first to water cool an ft05, or one of the first. Can't find any pics of one.

I totally feel your pain.

I recently had to build an X79 rig into a Raven RV05 which I believe is identical inside to your FT05. What a pig ! it took me two days !!!

But keep trying man. First up remove the plastic slim drive holder. I didn't... Secondly I see you are running a non modular PSU. Same as me then ! mine is even an XFX. But with patience and time here is what I got after two days..

DSC00413.jpg

Quick PSU cover...

DSC00415.jpg

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I recently had to build an X79 rig into a Raven RV05 which I believe is identical inside to your FT05. What a pig ! it took me two days !!!

But keep trying man. First up remove the plastic slim drive holder. I didn't... Secondly I see you are running a non modular PSU. Same as me then ! mine is even an XFX. But with patience and time here is what I got after two days..

Quick PSU cover...

Where are your cables?

I couldent fit mine behind MB tray.

Yeah, slim drive is gone.

If i make a nice uick psu shroud out of some scram aluminum sheet we have, it will hide the cables. I think ill do it right now actually.

DSC00413.jpg

Quick PSU cover...

DSC00415.jpg

Yeah, I've got the raven and its identical inside, and I also have an XFX PSU in it. Certainly won't recommend getting one for it, I'd have been better off going for a silverstone own unit, but it does fit with a squeeze. I had to remove the HDD cage to fit it in, then replaced it. The 24 pin cable is at a very tight angle however, so at some point I'm going to find a different method to store the drives.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Yeah, I've got the raven and its identical inside, and I also have an XFX PSU in it. Certainly won't recommend getting one for it, I'd have been better off going for a silverstone own unit, but it does fit with a squeeze. I had to remove the HDD cage to fit it in, then replaced it. The 24 pin cable is at a very tight angle however, so at some point I'm going to find a different method to store the drives.

Yeah, for me, i couldent use cage do to radiator, the hard drive is just velcroed to side of case.

Where are your cables?

I couldent fit mine behind MB tray.

Yeah, slim drive is gone.

If i make a nice uick psu shroud out of some scram aluminum sheet we have, it will hide the cables. I think ill do it right now actually.

Believe it or not they are all behind the tray. Don't even fucking ask me how, but they're there :D I remember having to separate them into bunches, then tie them down.

I've been building PCs for thirty years now and believe me, this was the hardest mission I've ever taken on. In the end I cut off one molex run from the PSU and one SATA run *but* had I realised the optical tray was removable I would have gained another 30% or so space back there :(

It doesn't matter to me because my rig is pretty simple. I've got two more sets of PCIE wires that are braided hidden back there too...

Right now it's packed away because it's my Hackintosh and my new 4k monitor only has one Displayport connector so I can't use it.. But I'll get it back out soon (just bolted a 24" 1080p to the wall) and will crack off the back side and get you some pics showing how I managed it :)

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Believe it or not they are all behind the tray. Don't even fucking ask me how, but they're there :D I remember having to separate them into bunches, then tie them down.

I've been building PCs for thirty years now and believe me, this was the hardest mission I've ever taken on. In the end I cut off one molex run from the PSU and one SATA run *but* had I realised the optical tray was removable I would have gained another 30% or so space back there :(

It doesn't matter to me because my rig is pretty simple. I've got two more sets of PCIE wires that are braided hidden back there too...

Right now it's packed away because it's my Hackintosh and my new 4k monitor only has one Displayport connector so I can't use it.. But I'll get it back out soon (just bolted a 24" 1080p to the wall) and will crack off the back side and get you some pics showing how I managed it :)

k. yeah, not sure how they fit behind.

Just made a PSU shroud, hows it look, raises gpu temp by just a degreee.

I will probably paint it.

IMG_20150202_104431401.jpgIMG_20150202_104425901.jpg

Final pics coming this weekend probably

I GOT ALL CABLES BEHIND MB TRAY! ITS PRETTY NOW! PICS SOON

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I found more legoes I forgot to sell.

Getting another 150$.

We will see what I buy.

Also, sorry for not having pics yet, I have just been.... Lazy.

I will take good pics of the computer and whole set up soon

DSC00413.jpg

Quick PSU cover...

DSC00415.jpg

Welp, somhow,I did it. All the cables are behind mb tray. I'll post da pics soon.

3gYn7j0.png

Credit @Rumikarimu

A few more pics, not final yet.

Just thought i would share

IMG_20150308_101415793_HDR.jpg

Then my audio "Set up"

It is a 5.0 set up, with reciever and a turntable on the floor under my desk.

IMG_20150308_130435128.jpgIMG_20150308_130455065.jpg

Some battlestations are nice because they are clean and simple, yours is nice because its a beautifull mess!

Some battlestations are nice because they are clean and simple, yours is nice because its a beautifull mess!

Yeah, i have a problem, i want so much stuff.

3gYn7j0.png

Credit @Rumikarimu

Semi update:

I cleaned my Battlestation

Thats it.

I cant find my camera ATM, so enjoy phone pics

IMG_20150313_200225732_HDR.jpgIMG_20150313_200242853_HDR.jpgIMG_20150313_200307535.jpgIMG_20150313_200314564.jpg

Load test.

Fanless.

Prime95+ Minecraft

Amazing temps.

No fans, I got 58 degrees max on CPU, 58 degrees on system temp, 65 degrees GPU temp.

No fans, other than GPU temp.

I also got a record low, 28 degrees on cpu.

Granted, my window is open and its about 45 degrees F in here.

New record low, 25 degree CPU temp, 24 degree system temp

25 degree GPU too

Hey hey, teaser to an update I think you will love.

Soon (today or tomorrow) I will update this thread, with a very special...

GIVEAWAY!!!!!!!!!

Of these wonderfull cooler master TPC 612.

Now, if you enter (you can't yet, be patient) be prepared to pay for shipping.

I am in update NY, so keep that In mind.

It should be around 10$, depending on where you are.

I will start the Givaway soon, with full rules.

3gYn7j0.png

Credit @Rumikarimu

As this build log comes to an end, I would like to thank everyone. All of you subscribers, @Rumikarimu for the banner, @Maki Role for the givaway in wich i one the cpu block, and everyone.

That brings me to my next point.

​ GIVEAWAY!!!!

Yes, i will be doing a givaway.

You can win a cooler master TPC 612, along with a fan or two of your choice from my fan collection.

Rules:

You can only enter once.

Be prepared to PAY SHIPPING. I am located in upstate NY, so use that to estimate shipping. It should be around 10$

Oh yeah, should be US only, unless you want to pay high shipping fees.

Simply post a comment down below, with whatever you want in it.

The givaway will close on Friday, at 8:00 PM EST.

Now, for the pics of the loot you could win

DSCF50701.jpgDSCF50711.jpgDSCF50721.jpgDSCF50751.jpgDSCF50761.jpgDSCF50781.jpgDSCF50811.jpgDSCF50821.jpgDSCF50831.jpgDSCF50841.jpgDSCF50851.jpgDSCF50871.jpgDSCF50881.jpg

give it to me!

Edit: I  am OK with paying the shipping to germany. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

give it to me!

hey if you win, and want to pay shipping to germany

I will take a single corsair fan with the ring on it :P

I dont have room in my case for a cooler like that :(

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza