Does Skyrim become GPU bound after heavy modding?

Tacitus

Title says all really, vanilla Skyrim is known for being CPU bound, but when you start piling on the graphics mods does that shift from being CPU to GPU bound? I know VRAM starts increasing a lot...

If so, does that mean that once fully modded it would make no odds whether I had a 4670 or a 4670k with an overclock applied?

When you have a ton of texture mods and a really nice ENB, I'd say it starts to really pound the shit out of your gpu.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

yeah it gets taxing

When you have a ton of texture mods and a really nice ENB, I'd say it starts to really pound the shit out of your gpu.

To the point that it doesn't matter which CPU I'm using, because the GPU will be at max usage before the CPU?

Yes, 4k resolution textures + ENB + Extra foliage + detailed foliage + extra render distance + FXAA injector = SUPERB LOOKING GAME , but it's kinda GPU taxing 

To the point that it doesn't matter which CPU I'm using, because the GPU will be at max usage before the CPU?

At least an overclocked g3258 or a lower tier i5 . From memory Skyrim is quite single-threaded or doesn't use alot of cores

With an i5 you'll be wanting more VRAM long before you'll want to overclock to get better performance

"Rawr XD"

nah, an oc cpu has other uses

however with an i5 youd be fine stock

At least an overclocked g3258 or a lower tier i5 . From memory Skyrim is quite single-threaded or doesn't use alot of cores

With an i5 you'll be wanting more VRAM long before you'll want to overclock to get better performance

nah, an oc cpu has other uses

however with an i5 youd be fine stock

Yeah, it's just an i5 4670k is £165 and an i5 4460 is like £125, not too sure if it's really worth the extra spend when I'll just be gaming and writing essays.

I wouldn't go lower than a good i5 with overclock - a lot of base effects in Skyrim are done with the CPU (like shadows)

but ENB really pushes your GPU as hard as mining if you want it to. The values you can input for Ambient Occlusion scaling are infinite for example

and lots of hi-res texture packs can push your vram utilization. I've easily hit the 6gb cap on my Titans @ 3440x1440 with tons of textures

Yeah, it's just an i5 4670k is £165 and an i5 4460 is like £125, not too sure if it's really worth the extra spend when I'll just be gaming and writing essays.

the non oc version will be fine

i'd say wait a week or two , get more money , and buy the 4690k

Don't forget you won't need the beefy cooler since you can't overclock, saving you even more bucks

"Rawr XD"

Yes, 4k resolution textures + ENB + Extra foliage + detailed foliage + extra render distance + FXAA injector = SUPERB LOOKING GAME , but it's kinda GPU taxing 

Why an FXAA injector instead of the regular MSAA?

To be honest it doesnt use the cpu like crazy, i mean ive got 4k textures basically everywhere and i get around 40-50fps average.

eg

gallery_16690_349_452098.jpg

Why an FXAA injector instead of the regular MSAA?

enbs break the way that MSAA works, fxaa is the only option

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Don't forget you won't need the beefy cooler since you can't overclock, saving you even more bucks

I'd probably still get the better cooler, but I suppose I could ditch that and save £60

So is it really the case then that the vast majority of AAA games won't benefit from an overclocked CPU. Or to flip the question another way, I won't be missing out if I get a locked i5?

I'd probably still get the better cooler, but I suppose I could ditch that and save £60

Stock cooler is more then enough for a locked i5 especially if your case has good airflow

"Rawr XD"

I don't know what kind of magic it is, but I believe even at stock my 8320 at 4.4 GHz keeps my 7950 (23% overclock) almost always above 95% and mostly at 99%. With mods it's the same story and I get about 35-40 fps outside and 60fps in dungeons and cities. Mods I have installed are Quality World Map, Better Dynamic Snow, Climates of Tamriel with weather patch and Supreme Storms, Dust Effects, ELFX, improved vanilla thickets 1k, HD Ivy, Realistic Aspen Trees, RSE High, RealVision ENB, Ruins Clutter Improved, SkyFalls + SkyMills, SMIM Meshes, Static Mesh improvement mod, Unique Grasses and Groundcovers, xVivid landscapes and W.A.T.E.R.

Edit: reading that shadows are CPU rendered but I guess ELFX fixes that or something, I have quite realistic shadows and the CPU doesn't seem to be the limiting factor. There is one spot at the companions bedrooms in whiterun where the fps drops to like 15 when I look in a certain direction, but GPU usage still is at 99%.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

enbs break the way that MSAA works, fxaa is the only option

That's pretty lame..

That's pretty lame..

if you get the depth of field correct then its possible to not have jaggies, the screenshot i showed as no AA

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Title says all really, vanilla Skyrim is known for being CPU bound, but when you start piling on the graphics mods does that shift from being CPU to GPU bound? I know VRAM starts increasing a lot...

If so, does that mean that once fully modded it would make no odds whether I had a 4670 or a 4670k with an overclock applied?

Fully modded is relative. Depending on the mod, it might be more CPU or GPU intensive. Any task that is handled by CPU will be handled by CPU no matter how many GPU intensive mods you install. You cannot really "offload" CPU load to GPU with mods. If something is being held back by stock 4670, then overclocked 4670k will help.