Thinkpad vs Macbook

So I'm going to major in Software Engineering soon and was wondering what laptop should I buy. I only want a laptop that can take notes, record lectures (maybe some video), capatiblity with all the software required for Software Engineering and a little bit of future-proofing. I've tried both Macbooks and Thinkpads in stores and love both of them in terms of their keyboard, trackpad and build quality. The only problem is which one to choose. I like to long battery life of the Macbook, but that can be easily improved with the Thinkpad with the extended battery life. Any advice. Thanks.

Have you considered an ultrabook?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I went into Staples today and saw a Thinkpad with an "Ultrabook, inspired by Intel" sticker on it, so I would say yes.

"Rawr XD"

I'd go with the Macbook. Super strong build, excellent battery life, and OS X is a great OS once you get settled in. It's hard to go back to Windows as your daily driver :)

You didn't specify Air or Pro, however. The 13" Air has ridiculous battery life, and of course the Pros have incredible screens.

Macbook since you can easily run OS X and windows and Linux on it. This makes it compatible with all software.

You can make a hackintosh with the thinkpad but its likely a lot of crucial features will be missing due to lack of laptop support.

In the end its your choice but i think the macbook will give u more peace of mind with software compatibility so u dont have to buy both later...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Go for the MacBook, if it's the Pro that's even better!

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

What models where you looking at? Thinkpad carbon? MacBook Pro retina 13?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What software will you be working with? That's a major question to selecting a machine for engineering work...

Maybe wait for next-gen processors? Thinpad Helix is coming out next month, but it may not have the horsepower you need. 

ThinkPad for life. Once you go Matt Black you never go back.

Also TrackPoint FTW!

I went into Staples today and saw a Thinkpad with an "Ultrabook, inspired by Intel" sticker on it, so I would say yes.

X1 Carbon. There is also a T series ultrabook if I recall.

Go for the MacBook, if it's the Pro that's even better!

They dont have a non pro now if I recall.

They dont have a non pro now if I recall.

OP didn't specify which one so I generalized it.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

thinkpad for better keyboard,build quality and warranty.

I think you need to figure out which OS you like more, Windows or OS X. Sure, you might like the design and all, but the software is the thing that counts when you are using it.. So choose wisely.

Else, I would recommend a MacBook if you are willing to spend a bit more. Although good Thinkpads cost the same, or even more...

I also think that the keyboard on Thinkpads are better than those on the Mac. Not by far though. With the MBP you get real mobile CPUs and not those trimmed-down 15W TDP models. Iris Graphics is a nice addition.

In the end, its all up to you.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

I don't mine a little bit of weight, as long as the laptop is light enough for a 1km per day walk then I'm fine.

I don't mine a little bit of weight, as long as the laptop is light enough for a 1km per day walk then I'm fine.

Do you need a quad core processor or a dedicated GPU at all?

Get a Macbook Pro or Macbook air. Thinkpads are good, but honestly they're pretty crap in comparison to what Apple has to offer. (CS major and X220 owner/daily user)

Get a Macbook Pro or Macbook air. Thinkpads are good, but honestly they're pretty crap in comparison to what Apple has to offer. (CS major and X220 owner/daily user)

Has to offer in what way because i can name a large number of ways in which they are better.

Has to offer in what way because i can name a large number of ways in which they are better.

Build quality, screen quality and res, trackpad, thinness, super easy OS selection (Bootcamp), speakers, warranty and support, webcam and mic quality, etc.

Thinkpads aren't very competitive on price either, especially here in Australia compared to Macbooks.

That's what I can think of in the time it takes me to type this sentence.

Edit: I should add that my father has a T430 and my step-mother has an E430, both also not very good compared to their Apple counterparts.