A PSA on cheap usb flash drives

Hey there,

Just sharing something that I encountered yesterday...

My mother brought home an unmarked 32GB USB flash drive from work (not hers)... I opened up the drive in Linux and I see the files fine, etc. The drive was apparently 'Write Protected', so I went ahead and tried to take the files off for reformatting... As the files were transferring, there were a lot of I/O errors that popped up... I became suspicious then... It's either a loop-write firmware (like what they did on the fake eHDDs) or factory rejects that got into the hands of someone else... I was also unable to format the drive without encountering errors...

The owner apparently got the drive for ~300PhP (approx 6USD) from a sidewalk vendor...

I also have this 8GB Kingston DT101 (that's what the device told me) whose R/W speeds are less than acceptable... Same source, but I didn't buy it myself...

tl;dr Don't get cheap drives from dubious sources... You might get low quality, outright defective, or fake stuff...

Yes, same here in China... Some drives are the real thing, but they have been sorted out because of some defect like a slightly damaged housing. Those are still perfectly fine. But you often find these "500GB" flash drives, that are just some shitty 1GB in disguise... That is why I only buy flash drives in proper stores.

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Why would anyone be stupid enough to buy a USB from a street vendor...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Why would anyone be stupid enough to buy a USB from a street vendor...

It's cheap.

It's cheap.

"Viruses are free!"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"Viruses are free!"

I've also run into those... Hahahaha... Get your cheap 8GB underperforming factory reject that comes preloaded with the latest malware for only 3USD!

You have to be special kind of stupid to buy 32GB+ for just a few bucks.

That shit is always fake. Maybe 2-4GB real capacity and then hacked to whatever chinese fella think it would sell.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian