Why do "Next-Gen" games use so much video memory?

Gypopotamus
Gypopotamus

So i watched your video and it was pretty good, but one point you bring up, is the lack of LoD in Mordor, but thats really one of the settings you put at ultra that did that, the consoles have shorter LoD mesh distances, but PC is offered an extra length. People who complain about down grades, yet also belittle the "optimization" of console ports don't get that "optimization" is using proper settings for the hardware, there is no pixie dust involved.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

So many games have released recently that use massive amounts of video memory for no apparent reason! 

For a 1440p monitor user with a pair of GTX 780s, it's really frustrating having to lower texture resolutions etc just so I don't get stutters!

Here's a rant I recorded about the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGyYZddc9gI

Can anyone on here provide a reasonable explanation as to why these games perform so badly?

Op I just got done playing this game for a few hours. I too had the hitching on Ultra Texture pack (even though benchmarks were outstanding) and I got it running perfect now with Ultra Textures on my r9 290. Fixed it with the following.

1. Run Borderless Windowed to enable triple buffering.

2. Take off frame limit and vsync.

3. Set Mesh to high instead of ultra. This seems to be a biggy and this helps the draw distance problems you were talking about in your video, where things hidden from view behind mountains and crap would cause a stutter, and it usually occured in high places while looking around.

4. I also dropped Ambient occlusion to high instead of Ultra. Everything else is maxed except those two settings. I may be able to run Ambient higher, but I am tired and going to sleep. I'll try tomorrow night. I was just happy all the stuttering was gone and I went on a orc killing spree.

I can't promise this will help you, and it may be because my GPU has 4 gigs of ram, but this game runs like absolute butter now. I would put this nowhere near a Watchdogs level port as far as being bad. Watch Dog's ran bad no matter what you threw at it and Mordor can look shockingly good at times with the ultra textures, especially during rain, and hail. This game just requires a decent amount of VRAM for ultra textures that the consoles have no access to anyways and the higher resolution you run the more it is going to want.

The consoles are also running this game at 30 FPS. I set it to a locked 30 and wanted to kill myself after a few minutes. That crap was worse than the stuttering was. This game is like Dark Souls. It sucks at 30 fps imo.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I barely see a difference between High and Ultra textures anyway.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Great video. That voice kept me listening. :D

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

ultra textures ran fine on my 290, but playing on high so I never dip below 60fps

ultra textures ran fine on my 290, but playing on high so I never dip below 60fps

Running with the Ultra textures at 2880x1620 (150 percent bump on resolution downsampling on the in game menu) on my R9 290 with 0 stuttering now and close to 60 FPS.

Try these settings.

Vsync off, borderless, no limit on FPS.

Lighting maxed

Mesh Medium (still has tessellation at this setting)

Motion blur off

Shadow High

Texture Filtering Ultra

Texture Quality Ultra

Ambient Occlusion High

Vegetation Ultra

Depth of Field On

Order Independent Transparency On

Tessellation on.

Game runs like butter for me now and looks fantastic. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.