Witcher 3. In before the next downgrade controversy.

deathjester

People not happy with the new screenshots posted. Some are thinking downgrade. I happen to think this is just Xbox One or really low PC settings. Xbox One has marketing tied to the game in the form of some cards and a cloth map. Meh. Whatever. In CDPR I trust. Haven't let me down yet and I am not cancelling my order. In addition there is also a wolf shot and those don't look anything like the Nvidia hair works demo. I think this is just CDPR giving console owners realistic expectations. 

Discussion and Neogaf.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905447&page=3

Earlier reveal.

iKcRG61XdJQQy.jpg

Newer screenshot.

iQV34ALySrFXy.png

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

HOLY CRAP! What have they done! It looks worse than Witcher 2 in the second screenshot. It must be on low or on a console.

EDIT: I think they want to cool down the hype about the graphics so that console gamers don't moan that it looks crap when they get the final game... at least I hope so.

If it looks that bad I don't want it. Probably console version.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The main thing that seems to have gone down a lot in the second screen shot is the lighting quality imo

Edit: and after taking a closer look, everything else as well...... Must be on low or on a console or something

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

I'm on mobile at the moment. Is there an actual graphical fidelity loss compared between the two or are people freaking out because the time of day is darker in the second screenshot?

The main thing that seems to have gone down a lot in the second screen shot is the lighting quality imo

Edit: and after taking a closer look, everything else as well...... Must be on low or on a console or something

Look at the trees in the center, the AA is gone.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I'm on mobile at the moment. Is there an actual graphical fidelity loss compared between the two or are people freaking out because the time of day is darker in the second screenshot?

The neogaf thread contains more screenshots and the official link. I just didn't want to clutter up the page with tons of pictures. :)

Like I said Witcher 3 has a marketing deal with Xbox. Nothing in game, but a map and cards. I would bet money this is Xbox One.

Xbox One is like a AMD 7770 in TFLOPS. I imagine this is how it would look on that GPU on a PC as well. Hell Witcher 2 would prob look bad on that GPU. :)

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

The vegetation, lighting and a lot of detail is significantly decreased. It's like comparing a AAA game running with Low settings to Ultra.

To me this looks like it was taken from a youtube video, it looks like it went through some serious compression. This is no doubt a massive downgrade, I for one would like to know what they said when they released this image.

Then I could at least get some insight to what they wanted to showcase with this.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Look at the trees in the center, the AA is gone.

The vegetation, lighting and a lot of detail is significantly decreased. It's like comparing a AAA game running with Low settings to Ultra.

That is why I edited, after taking a closer look I saw those things as well, the AA in particulair seems to be bumped down a lot. The lighting is the thing I noticed first and most though

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

HOLY CRAP!

I think they want to cool down the hype about the graphics so that console gamers don't moan that it looks crap when they get the final game... at least I hope so.

I think so too.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

To me this looks like it was take from a youtube video, it looks like it went through some serious compression. This is no doubt a massive downgrade, I for one would like to know what they said when they released this image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=905447

Official posting

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30509-Screenshot-amp-Artwork-collection-Part-II?p=1424699&viewfull=1#post1424699

Like I said the wolvess don't have Nvidia hairworks etc. Looks like the XB1. A lot of things they are "planning" to implement but they aren't in yet on consoles.

GameWorks-1-Overview-(7).jpg

i have faith it will look good. 

shoot look at ME:SoM, that game looks amazing on pc and its on the console too 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

I'm just hoping they don't shaft users with AMD cards. Since they paired with Nvidia, they are being cock monglers and don't wanna allow them to implement Mantle.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I'm just hoping they don't shaft users with AMD cards. Since they paired with Nvidia, they are being cock monglers and don't wanna allow them to implement Mantle.

Let us have hope for DX12! 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

The second image looks like a jpeg but the first doesn't look like it has maxed out aa/the correct aa settings, a lot of shit looks pretty rough. Still looks better but I feel like the jpeg factor is a bit much and influences that a lot. The image quality is just low all-around and I doubt it has anything to do with the game itself.

Edit: I kind of want to change my opinion on this. After a closer look at every detail, the 2nd image still looks jpeg-y as hell but the overall settings when the screenshot was taken definitely seem lower in general. The first looks more like a render, the second looks like it was processed on a low end pc/console even if the first isn't a render.

wait, it doesn't look that bad!

*moves the image from the 4k monitor to the 1080p panel*

WAT

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

snip

That's not what I asked, lol..

I couldn't see a difference in graphical fidelity since I can only make the screenshot so big on my phone. So I asked if there was a difference, but now I see it since I'm on my PC now.

It looks like the second screenshot you posted is a lower resolution with no AA, less texture filtering and less shaders, so it's probably running on a console.

No reason for anyone to be upset here. It looks like the commenter on the thread pulled images from different sources and didn't cite them. So I don't know what anyone could think about this since no one knows exactly where those screenshots came from. 

Although a lot of things seem downgraded, the light might be explained by the fact that the second screenshot says it's taken during the game's dawn?

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Second image looks horrible. My god, what they have done to it?! :(

It's all because of shitty consoles! How I fucking hate them! Fuckin ugly console peasants!

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Second image looks horrible. My god, what they have done to it?! :(

It's all because of shitty consoles! How I fucking hate them! Fuckin ugly console peasants!

??? Witcher 2 looked outstanding on PC and that was on consoles. The console version looked like ass compared to the PC version. Relax lol. This is prob Xbox One. CDPR can't make a AMD 7770 into a freakin GTX 970 or R9 290x. They are good but they aren't THAT good. :)

Recent article with CDPR. Like I said those wolves look nothing like what CDPR has shown. Either a console or a really low spec PC.

http://gamingbolt.com/the-witcher-3-tech-interview-ps4xbox-one-performance-challenges-dx12-redengine-3-mods-more#o1P1pcsEJIpOw3Y2.99

Balazs Torok: The fur simulation is something that we are treating as a feature for the PC enthusiasts. There will be definitely a way to switch it off for those with lower spec machines.

Rashid Sayed: What kind of Anti-Aliasing technology are you using for the PS4 and Xbox One versions?
Balazs Torok: We are still exploring some options regarding anti-aliasing but we are sure that it will be some kind of screen space anti-aliasing solution and not hardware MSAA.

Next gen wolves, not available on "next gen consoles".

HOLY CRAP! What have they done! It looks worse than Witcher 2 in the second screenshot. It must be on low or on a console.

EDIT: I think they want to cool down the hype about the graphics so that console gamers don't moan that it looks crap when they get the final game... at least I hope so.

Let console gamers moan all they want, thats what they get for choosing to play on a console. Trying to bridge any gap in graphical quality by bringing down the pc version graphics would be plain wrong. (and to be clear that statement isn't about pc master race bull, i'm just trying to say "you get what you pay for")