Gtx 980 144hz monitor user beware

keslangus

Hello all!

As the title would suggest, i have found an issue with the new gtx 980 series of cards. It seems both the reference and non reference models are affected (mine personally is a msi gtx 980 gaming edition). After putting the card in today, and letting it settle in i noticed that the card was idling around 52 degrees Celsius, which is way high. my old card (asus gtx 770) with all identical components used to run at about 34 degrees, and nothing had changed with the exception of the card.

So after some head scratching i started to look at the voltage of the card and the clock speed it was idling at 1000+ mhz constantly. so just after doing a hair of research i bumped the settings on windows down to 120hz and the 60hz refresh rate for the monitor. Instantly the temps fell dramatically, down all the way to a cozy 34 degrees Celsius. So just wanted to give a heads up to all of you with 144hz monitors out there. If you are seeing high temps with your 980 its not a bad thermal paste job, or defective card, its the card running balls out all the time when the monitor is set to 144hz. Hope this helps save somebody out there the time and effort i already invested into this lengthy headache.

oh and btw further disclaimer you can set windows to 120hz for the monitor with no thermal issues, however, bump it to 144hz and you will find yourself in the fires of mordor.

I got myself a Gtx 980 from ASUS last week, i'm running with a BenQ XL2420TE 144hz, and my idle temps are between 30c and 35c.

Yea I'm finding it with the evga reference 980 and my Msi non reference 980 (those are the only two I have access to). All my drivers are the newest from nvidia, so hopefully it will be fixed down the road.

I got myself a Gtx 980 from ASUS last week, i'm running with a BenQ XL2420TE 144hz, and my idle temps are between 30c and 35c.

and yea I have the same monitor just the 27in model. But the Msi gaming 980. If anyone has some potential suggestions other than my less than optimal solution I would love the help!

Initial problems like these are the reason why I don't run out and buy new technology as soon as it's out.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Nope, doesn't happen to me. I idle with a reference gigabyte 980 @ 30-35 degrees.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Got a reference Asus GTX 980 with 144hz at 31 celcius just watching videos and stuff. Sounds like you may have a bad card or something.

this is why i wait at least 1 month before buying the latest crap :) im not nvidea's testing bunnie

Got a reference Asus GTX 980 with 144hz at 31 celcius just watching videos and stuff. Sounds like you may have a bad card or something.

I can't imagine it being a bad card given the problem is fixed by simply changing the refresh to 120 or 60hz. It almost has to be a driver issue.

Anyone else in here running dual monitor? In my particular case I'm running dual 27in monitors, one 144hz Benq (main monitor) and one acer 60hz monitor. Perhaps that could be causing the driver issue.

Hello all!

As the title would suggest, i have found an issue with the new gtx 980 series of cards. It seems both the reference and non reference models are affected (mine personally is a msi gtx 980 gaming edition). After putting the card in today, and letting it settle in i noticed that the card was idling around 52 degrees Celsius, which is way high. my old card (asus gtx 770) with all identical components used to run at about 34 degrees, and nothing had changed with the exception of the card.

So after some head scratching i started to look at the voltage of the card and the clock speed it was idling at 1000+ mhz constantly. so just after doing a hair of research i bumped the settings on windows down to 120hz and the 60hz refresh rate for the monitor. Instantly the temps fell dramatically, down all the way to a cozy 34 degrees Celsius. So just wanted to give a heads up to all of you with 144hz monitors out there. If you are seeing high temps with your 980 its not a bad thermal paste job, or defective card, its the card running balls out all the time when the monitor is set to 144hz. Hope this helps save somebody out there the time and effort i already invested into this lengthy headache.

oh and btw further disclaimer you can set windows to 120hz for the monitor with no thermal issues, however, bump it to 144hz and you will find yourself in the fires of mordor.

I'd be Tweeting Nvidia about it, something they'd fix quickly I'd imagine.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'd be Tweeting Nvidia about it, something they'd fix quickly I'd imagine.

Just shot them a tweet. We will see if they respond or not.

Just shot them a tweet. We will see if they respond or not.

Everyday for a week, Because you can't expect them to answer let alone see every callout they have.

Maybe tweet RyanShrout/TinyTomLogan/SlickPC/LinusTech about using a GTX 980 on a 144hz panel and what your experiencing,....to also have the information out there in a video, or they can themselves push Nvidia via tweets to fix it faster.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Everyday for a week, Because you can't expect them to answer let alone see every callout they have.

Maybe tweet RyanShrout/TinyTomLogan/SlickPC/LinusTech about using a GTX 980 on a 144hz panel and what your experiencing,....to also have the information out there in a video, or they can themselves push Nvidia via tweets to fix it faster.

Will do I really appreciate the help brother!

A few people have reported issues over 60hz on the new cards. ManuelG@Nvidia is aware and has said they are looking into this on reference and non reference cards that are reported.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777114/geforce-900-series/gigabyte-gtx-970-phantom-monitor/

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

ia am still at 60 hz so no problems here.

good find!

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

Just an update for anyone who may be experiencing this issue, or could experience this in the nearish future. I have an open case with nvidia, and they report they have several open cases with a very similar issue to mine. It seems to be an issue when running a second monitor, if i run the one 27in benQ144hz monitor on its own at 144hz the card clocks down and runs perfectly, however the moment i activate the second monitor in nvidia control panel the clocks jump to 970mhz and of course the idle temps rise to about 53 Celsius. Myself and nvidia are working together to figure out what exactly is the issue. I have sent them my system info along with some other info they asked for, and hopefully we can get this issue sorted out. 

Just wanted to give an update, and confirm setting windows to only run the monitor at 120hz with both monitors running is keeping the card from ramping up both the memory clock, and gpu clock. So for now this is my not so perfect work around, but it works. 

This seems more like a firmware issue, nothing wrong with the hardware imo.

I'm going to wait for the next flagship though, 980 is just not a card that could convince me to upgrade. Why did I mention this in this thread I have no idea lol

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler