Should I Go With An i5-4690K or Get the E3 Xeon 1231/41 v3?

Ahh, you doth think correctly sir. That being said, I would think that for gaming a "consumer" or "enthusiast" oriented cpu's would be best for gaming, as far as I am aware the xeons are for servers and workstations.

Although, it will be interesting to see which (out of 1150 or 2011 socket cpu's) performs better in star citizen. Since 2011 has more pci-e lanes and thus, better crossfire/sli capability. The Dev for star citizen has stated that at launch, no single GPU will be capable of running it on ulta @1080p, it's a thoroughbred PC game, which makes me happy even though I'm broke

You....haven't read ANY of this post have you? The E3 Xeon series runs on LGA 1150 and performs the same as a stock i7-4770 in workstation use and performs slightly less than an i5 in games all for 250 dollars. 

You....haven't read ANY of this post have you? The E3 Xeon series runs on LGA 1150 and performs the same as a stock i7-4770 in workstation use and performs slightly less than an i5 in games all for 250 dollars. 

I stated that my knowledge of xeon was almost 0. If your planning to upgrade anyways, go for it? (it's cheaper, performs slightly less than I5 for way less money, on the same platform, why the hell not?)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd go with the Xeon because If I'm you  I think gaming comes second and rendering and recording is more important.

Gaming is just entertainment and if you're using a good GPU it should be able to make up the diffrence. but no matter how many the GPUs will never make up the hyper threading lol

How do you know that? You act as if OC'ing grants a high boost in gaming, it doesn't..like at all unless it's a game like Crysis 3. It does help in rendering though, but the rendering performance is only going to beat the Xeon if you OC higher than 4.5Ghz. 

Crysis 3 is GPU bound, you can't see a difference there. I'll post you tomorrow the results, can't reboot atm. It's known that a 4670K at 4.2Ghz equals a 2500K at 4.8GHz. Who told you that OC'ing doesn't add any boost? That 10-20% rendering performance from a xeon which would probably be a few minutes isn't worth it over a massive boost in CPU games, then I'm confused. If you're doing 7 hours rendering you shouldn't be even looking at lga 1150 cpu's.

I stated that my knowledge of xeon was almost 0. If your planning to upgrade anyways, go for it? (it's cheaper, performs slightly less than I5 for way less money, on the same platform, why the hell not?)

Performs slightly less than the i5 in GAMING it performs nearly like an i7 in workstation use, and it costs more than an i5, but WAY less than an i7. But yeah I think I'm still sticking with the Xeon at this point. 

Performs slightly less than the i5 in GAMING it performs nearly like an i7 in workstation use, and it costs more than an i5, but WAY less than an i7. But yeah I think I'm still sticking with the Xeon at this point. 

If it's $250, its only like, $15 more than a 4690k, but only because that's on sale right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Crysis 3 is GPU bound, you can't see a difference there. I'll post you tomorrow the results, can't reboot atm. It's known that a 4670K at 4.2Ghz equals a 2500K at 4.8GHz. Who told you that OC'ing doesn't add any boost? That 10-20% rendering performance from a xeon which would probably be a few minutes isn't worth it over a massive boost in CPU games, then I'm confused. If you're doing 7 hours rendering you shouldn't be even looking at lga 1150 cpu's.

Ok dude, my point still stands. The Xeon OUTPERFORMS THE I5 IN EVERY SITUATION BESIDES GAMING and guess what? ONLY LOSES BY ROUGHLY 5%-10%. The ONLY way the i5 is as good as the Xeon is when you OC it PAST 4.5GHz! Which guess what? Causes more heat, more power to be drawn out, and more money to be spent. Now that I'm convinced as from the rest of the posts, why do that with the i5 when I'm going to do it with Broadwell's i7 later anyways, and while the Xeon outperforms the i5, draws A LOT LESS heat and power than a STOCK i5?!

Getting the Xeon. End.Of.Story. Stop trying to make it seem like the i5 is 100% better, because it's not. It only is if you push it past 4.5Ghz which starts to become a double edged sword for the user. 

If it's $250, its only like, $15 more than a 4690k, but only because that's on sale right now

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372

Ignore the price. The i5's ALWAYS retail at 239.99, the same on Amazon. They make you THINK that you're saving 10 bucks, but you're really not. Look at the Xeon's I were talking about, they're "on sale" too. 

Ok dude, my point still stands. The Xeon OUTPERFORMS THE I5 IN EVERY SITUATION BESIDES GAMING and guess what?

You realize in some cases Hyperthreading adds no gain or even a performance loss, right? Put it that way up to an overclocked i5. Besides, Hyperthreadings performance is mostly different in every prog, its performance gain isn't consistent.

ONLY LOSES BY ROUGHLY 5%-10%. 

~25-30%. Here you see it going up to 50% although this is with a G3258 http://pclab.pl/art57691-8.html

Causes more heat, more power to be drawn out, and more money to be spent. 

This isn't an AMD. 30-40W isn't going to hurt you;

900x900px-LL-c1411aab_yxx.png

Measured from 8pin EPS. And don't forget to mention that a Xeon already consumes more than a i5 because of HT.

why do that with the i5 when I'm going to do it with Broadwell's i7 later anyways

Why make a thread then? You've made 6 of those already in a few months time. What's the point of Broadwell anyways, a die-shrink doesn't add IPC.

draws A LOT LESS heat and power than a STOCK i5?!

Which applies the same for a Broadwell i7. You're getting the i7 to overclock, isn't it? What sense would Broadwell make? Better OC potential since its a die shrink? A lot more heat & power.

-snip-

Oh look, you actually have some facts to finally back up your claim. 

Alrighty then, I'll bite, show me how an OC'd i5 performs against a stock i7. 

Also I can't get the i7 now due to budget constraints and I'd like to put the money elsewhere in the build anyways. Sooo by the time I get more spending money/money that I actually feel like spending on more computer parts in general, Broadwell's i7 will release. Since it works on Z97, why not get that over the 4790K? At that point they'll both be roughly the same price (just like how the 3770k still costs roughly 340 dollars....) so I might as well pick up the newer i7 over the Haswell Refresh i7. 

Also I can't get the i7 now due to budget constraints and I'd like to put the money elsewhere in the build anyways. 

Spending on what? If you can delay that instead and get a 4790K (they're better binned) the gains will be significant over the Xeon. Upgrading to Broadwell, you're selling the Xeon with a 100$ loss so you didn't really cheap out on anything. 

Spending on what? If you can delay that instead and get a 4790K (they're better binned) the gains will be significant over the Xeon. Upgrading to Broadwell, you're selling the Xeon with a 100$ loss so you didn't really cheap out on anything. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NbVsMp Ok then, hows that? I already have RAM from a previous build, and I can probably just either A: Get an optical drive from an old PC (If I can get the damn thing out), or B: Just ask my friend if I can barrow his from his custom built PC that I built for him so that I can install Windows. The cooler can just be replaced when I get more money for like an H100i or something (I've seen the H105 fit in a Define R4 before, but I'd have to double check on that specific motherboard). The Motherboard is a custom part because MicroCenter doesn't charge shipping. 

EDIT: Oh and for some reason PCPartPicker doesn't list MicroCenter for that motherboard even though they have it in stock. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NbVsMp Ok then, hows that? I already have RAM from a previous build, and I can probably just either A: Get an optical drive from an old PC (If I can get the damn thing out), or B: Just ask my friend if I can barrow his from his custom built PC that I built for him so that I can install Windows. The cooler can just be replaced when I get more money for like an H100i or something (I've seen the H105 fit in a Define R4 before, but I'd have to double check on that specific motherboard). The Motherboard is a custom part because MicroCenter doesn't charge shipping. 

EDIT: Oh and for some reason PCPartPicker doesn't list MicroCenter for that motherboard even though they have it in stock. 

Few things;

- A 150$ board is a waste of money for a single GPU setup

- Case can wait, a Corsair 200R is practically the same and costs less

- You don't need 750W, not even for 970 SLI and there are cheaper PSU's with the same quality/performance and for a few bucks more you have the 750 G2 thats semi-passive & fully modular which is overall a much better PSU in terms of quality/performance

- Optical Drive, just put Windows on a usb stick and forget optical drives, theyre useless

- You can get a 970 with ACX cooler for 20$ less

If you'll do that, you can easily afford a 4790K. Be aware, if you're lucky and you get one of those cherrypicked ones that do 4.8GHz, it will justify your purchase by a lot more imo.

i dont understand why people keep lurking about broadwell realy.

What will the improvement from broadwell be over haswell?

Indeed "probably" allmost nothing.

maybe a few megahurtz more....

I have Ivy bridge Xeon. At no game I have felt that it is bottleneck, but for photo/video works and rendering/3D modeling it is great. i5 will be worse at these works, because of threads.

i5 you can OC, but that does not matter if you will upgrade to i7 later on. Or just get 4790k now.

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

Well based on my quick google of how the stock 1231v3 performs in Cinebench R15 (multithreaded render benchmark) my i5 4690K @ 4.7ghz outperformed it by about 5%

i dont understand why people keep lurking about broadwell realy.

What will the improvement from broadwell be over haswell?

Indeed "probably" allmost nothing.

maybe a few megahurtz more....

It's because I don't really have the money for an i7 now, by the time I did the new i7 would be out, so why wouldn't I get that? 

Well based on my quick google of how the stock 1231v3 performs in Cinebench R15 (multithreaded render benchmark) my i5 4690K @ 4.7ghz outperformed it by about 5%

Yeah but that's after pushing past 4.5Ghz as I've been saying (4.7Ghz isn't always guaranteed) and....it's only 5% lol. Thus, more power draw, heat, etc while not doing a single thing for the Xeon. Also try comparing it to the 1241 v3 then, it'll probably be the same as your i5 if not simply closing that 5% difference more. 

Few things;

- A 150$ board is a waste of money for a single GPU setup

- Case can wait, a Corsair 200R is practically the same and costs less

- You don't need 750W, not even for 970 SLI and there are cheaper PSU's with the same quality/performance and for a few bucks more you have the 750 G2 thats semi-passive & fully modular which is overall a much better PSU in terms of quality/performance

- Optical Drive, just put Windows on a usb stick and forget optical drives, theyre useless

- You can get a 970 with ACX cooler for 20$ less

If you'll do that, you can easily afford a 4790K. Be aware, if you're lucky and you get one of those cherrypicked ones that do 4.8GHz, it will justify your purchase by a lot more imo.

-Obviously going for 2

-Hell no. Lol I'm not taking my system apart unless I seriously need to/It's for upgrades. 

-Yes I do, I've done my research, if I'm going to run 2 970's, like 2 or even more than 3 HDDs, about 2 SSDs, the motherboard itself needing power, possibly running 32GB of RAM (debating that, may still go with 16GB), powering an optical drive, and having my CPU's and GPU's OC'd? Yeahhh no, the 650w G I had in there before was literally estimated at like 620ish power without OC's obviously being a factor and that's a no-no for me. 

-I use it more than others. It's not in the build as you saw, but I'll still eventually get one. Like I said, at the start I'll probably just barrow it from something. 

-Too many complaints about coil wine and noise, also I don't give a crap what EVGA says there's no way the heat pipes are SUPPOSED to be un aligned. I could also get the non-superclocked blower card for 20ish dollars less as well. Your point? 

Yeah but that's after pushing past 4.5Ghz as I've been saying (4.7Ghz isn't always guaranteed) and....it's only 5% lol. Thus, more power draw, heat, etc while not doing a single thing for the Xeon. Also try comparing it to the 1241 v3 then, it'll probably be the same as your i5 if not simply closing that 5% difference more. 

You asked which to go for and I gave you some factual numbers from my own experience, average 4690k oc is 4.6ghz, so it'd be about equal to the 12x1v3 and be $20 cheaper (after you grab a 212 evo). And you still keep the single threaded performance advantage which will come into play with games. You get quicksync for rendering too which Xeons don't get. If you're already set on a Xeon then go buy that rather than making threads about it...

I am going to be gaming, recording, editing, and rendering videos, editing photos in Photoshop, anddd once and awhile probably livestream in HD here and there.

You defenetly need a CPU with hyper-threading so go for the xeon 1231 V3 unless you plan on overclocking in which case spit it out for an i7-4790K. Select answered, have a good day!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Are Xeon made for gaming ? I mean nobody is making a pc build with a Xeon just use a I5 or I7 so i'll go with the i5-4690K, wich i also made for overcloking (i believe)

Are Xeon made for gaming ? I mean nobody is making a pc build with a Xeon just use a I5 or I7 so i'll go with the i5-4690K, wich i also made for overcloking (i believe)

The Xeon 1231 V3 is the same chip as the i7-4790 only 200mhz slower but it does have hyper-threading...it does not carry the onboard graphics. For gaming they are exactly the same but the xeon is priced closer to an i5 K chip.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The Xeon 1231 V3 is the same chip as the i7-4790 only 200mhz slower but it does have hyper-threading...it does not carry the onboard graphics. For gaming they are exactly the same but the xeon is priced closer to an i5 K chip.

Didn't know that, thank you. Seems like a pretty good deal then.