Should I Go With An i5-4690K or Get the E3 Xeon 1231/41 v3?

Haha I bought my case from there as well lol :P Dutch shops usually have better prices than belgian shops here, sometimes the price difference is easily over 200 eur but there are like 5-6 hardware shops I can think of here in BE so there's not a lot of competition like in NL.

True. But Afuture and Azerty, both have the best prices up here.

I suppose one of the bigger sellers on belgium is Alternate?

But alternate.nl is also a bit expensive on some parts. especialy cpu´s.

I believe he was talking about me. lol 

i suppose more because i was wrong lol.

overclocked 4790K vs stock 5820k cinbench en render benchmarks, kinda let missleading myself. because cinebench doesnt allways show intels clockspeed for some reason.... :S

the 4790k wasnt far behind. But it was 4.7Ghz on the 4790K vs 3.3Ghz on the 5820k...

That probably clear things a bit more up, that they where close lol.

But 2 more cores is 50% if they scale lineary, thats totaly true.

i suppose more because i was wrong lol.

overclocked 4790K vs stock 5820k cinbench en render benchmarks, kinda let missleading myself. because cinebench doesnt allways show intels clockspeed for some reason.... :S

the 4790k wasnt far behind. But it was 4.7Ghz on the 4790K vs 3.3Ghz on the 5820k...

That probably clear things a bit more up, that they where close lol.

But 2 more cores is 50% if they scale lineary, thats totaly true.

So NOW do you see our point? Lol 

True. But Afuture and Azerty, both have the best prices up here.

I suppose one of the bigger sellers on belgium is Alternate?

But alternate.nl is also a bit expensive on some parts. especialy cpu´s.

Think it's Coolblue, before them think it was tones.be which is a fantastic shop imo and far better RMA service, actually they don't bother sending defective things up to the manufacturer instead they give you immediately a new one. I managed to RMA my 680 (which had coilwhine) for a 3930K lol, only had to pay 5 eur :P Coolblue is just overrated imo, rma service isn't any different than most shops..

Coolblue/alternate are usually the most expensive, Max ICT is cheap as well but the reviews at tweakers.net meh I'm not a patient guy so :P so I mostly buy my stuff from Afuture but parts that are fragile like motherboards/watercoolers usually from tones..

So NOW do you see our point? Lol 

Sure but i allready saw that before, its just those benches that i have seen, where missleading.

Because Cinebench did just show stock speeds for some reason, it does not read out clock speeds on intel cpu´s correctly.

So on screen it look liked both cpu´s where on stock.

But the 4790k was highly overclocked lol

So yeah i was totaly wrong lol my bad :D

Benchmarks can sometimes be missleading, if you not think any deeper you self.

Which i didnt this time.

Think it's Coolblue, before them think it was tones.be which is a fantastic shop imo and far better RMA service, actually they don't bother sending defective things up to the manufacturer instead they give you immediately a new one. I managed to RMA my 680 (which had coilwhine) for a 3930K lol, only had to pay 5 eur :P Coolblue is just overrated imo, rma service isn't any different than most shops..

Coolblue/alternate are usually the most expensive, Max ICT is cheap as well but the reviews at tweakers.net meh I'm not a patient guy so :P so I mostly buy my stuff from Afuture but parts that are fragile like motherboards/watercoolers usually from tones..

yeah, i allways use tweakers.net to check the best prices.

i hope i can do the mobo + cpu swap this week....

But that damm cooler and termal paste job, will probably gonne cost me headaces again :D

I am going to be gaming, recording, editing, and rendering videos, editing photos in Photoshop, anddd once and awhile probably livestream in HD here and there. 

Why is there a 6 page long thread on this?

All it boils down to is, do you wish to spend the time and money (on better motherboard and CPU cooler) to overclock your CPU?

Yes -> 4690K

No -> E3-1231 V3

"Rawr XD"

Sure but i allready saw that before, its just those benches that i have seen, where missleading.

Because Cinebench did just show stock speeds for some reason, it does not read out clock speeds on intel cpu´s correctly.

So on screen it look liked both cpu´s where on stock.

But the 4790k was highly overclocked lol

So yeah i was totaly wrong lol my bad :D

Benchmarks can sometimes be missleading, if you not think any deeper you self.

Which i didnt this time.

Well the benchmarks I saw, like I said, were posted earlier in this...well post. lol (that's always really weird to say). 

Needless to say, they were pretty awesome. :)

Why is there a 6 page long thread on this?

All it boils down to is, do you wish to spend the time and money (on better motherboard and CPU cooler) to overclock your CPU?

Yes -> 4690K

No -> E3-1231 V3

I've kinda already established that the Xeon was technically better. 

This has sort of just turned into a big discussion now between like 3 people. That's why. The CPU has changed like 4 times lol. 

Well the benchmarks I saw, like I said, were posted earlier in this...well post. lol (that's always really weird to say). 

Needless to say, they were pretty awesome. :)

yeah i didnt look at those offcourse, cause i saw diffrent ones.

But mines where corrupted to the evil. :P.

I digged up benchmarks from Nicolas11X12, and indeed the diffrence is render applications is significant.

I digged up benchmarks from Nicolas11X12, and indeed the diffrence is render applications is significant.

Lol

Ehhh he can be a bit shady with his benchmarks sometimes. They're OK. I don't want to say they're totally incorrect, but I've seen some benchmarks from him that didn't make sense at all before. 

allot of his benchmarks are good. :)

It shows how hard my FX8350 gets ass kicked by a 4790K in rendering.

Its not even funny lol :P

Atm I'm trying to find a few but most of them do not even have a 5820K/5930K tested. Anandtech was smart to give us results like this; http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8426/67027.png which we're nothing with. That was clear it prefered 4 cores and higher clock speed in this case or IPC compared to older gens >.< If you look at other handbrake results, 5960x/5820K etc does better but scales crappy. Quite hate encoding software sometimes, not even loading everything to 100%, using a different preset then it apparently does. More dumb benchmarks; http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/08/29/intel-core-i7-5960x-review/6

They added extra benchmarks with the CPU's overclocked but pictures are down apparently. http://anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/7

Tbh we're interested in clock-for-clock, especially now that we know that HW-e overclocks much better than HW which apparently struggles going above 4.4GHz - and the fact that 4770/4790K are much higher clocked. You're limited to 1.25-1.30V on Z97 cpu's, you can go higher but there's no way cooling them down, with HW-e since its soldered you can go safely to 1.40V or 1.45V aslong as you have the cooling capacity. With Z97 it didn't matter how much cooling you had lol, 15 360mm rads still sitting above 90°.

Found a few meaningful ones;

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_5960x_5930k_and_5820k_processor_review,10.html

Between the 4770K (279secs) & 5820K (201secs) thats a difference of 40% already.

This one is quite amazing although doesn't include a 5820K, but a 5960x OC'ed encoding literally two times faster than a 4790K: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_5960x_5930k_and_5820k_processor_review,20.html

Lol at that Cinebench 11.5 result, wtf even at stock that thing is faster than my 3930K at 5GHz >.>

Here we get a nice 100% scaling too: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6620/intel-core-i7-5960x-ee-haswell-e-cpu-and-x99-chipset-review/index6.html

So yeah wouldn't surprise me most of them were awful, reviewers had no clue if the benchmark was properly multithreaded and just ran their long-awaited 8 core through it.

Atm I'm trying to find a few but most of them do not even have a 5820K/5930K tested. Anandtech was smart to give us results like this; http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph8426/67027.png which we're nothing with. That was clear it prefered 4 cores and higher clock speed in this case or IPC compared to older gens >.< If you look at other handbrake results, 5960x/5820K etc does better but scales crappy. Quite hate encoding software sometimes, not even loading everything to 100%, using a different preset then it apparently does. More dumb benchmarks; http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/08/29/intel-core-i7-5960x-review/6

They added extra benchmarks with the CPU's overclocked but pictures are down apparently. http://anandtech.com/show/8426/the-intel-haswell-e-cpu-review-core-i7-5960x-i7-5930k-i7-5820k-tested/7

Tbh we're interested in clock-for-clock, especially now that we know that HW-e overclocks much better than HW which apparently struggles going above 4.4GHz - and the fact that 4770/4790K are much higher clocked. You're limited to 1.25-1.30V on Z97 cpu's, you can go higher but there's no way cooling them down, with HW-e since its soldered you can go safely to 1.40V or 1.45V aslong as you have the cooling capacity. With Z97 it didn't matter how much cooling you had lol, 15 360mm rads still sitting above 90°.

Found a few meaningful ones;

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_5960x_5930k_and_5820k_processor_review,10.html

Between the 4770K (279secs) & 5820K (201secs) thats a difference of 40% already.

This one is quite amazing although doesn't include a 5820K, but a 5960x OC'ed encoding literally two times faster than a 4790K: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i7_5960x_5930k_and_5820k_processor_review,20.html

Lol at that Cinebench 11.5 result, wtf even at stock that thing is faster than my 3930K at 5GHz >.>

Here we get a nice 100% scaling too: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6620/intel-core-i7-5960x-ee-haswell-e-cpu-and-x99-chipset-review/index6.html

So yeah wouldn't surprise me most of them were awful, reviewers had no clue if the benchmark was properly multithreaded and just ran their long-awaited 8 core through it.

Yeah indeed, allot of those "benchmarks" seem to be awfull

I did some deeper digging my self,  But also if i look at that Guru3D benchmark indeed it realy shos that the 5960X is twice as fast, this is offcourse not that strange, cause it has twice as much cores.

But still also at 5820K vs 4790K, there is still an siginificant diffrence, in rendering.

allot of his benchmarks are good. :)

It shows how hard my FX8350 gets ass kicked by a 4790K in rendering.

Its not even funny lol :P

I...actually don't see his 5820k benchmark anywhere. I don't think he made one lol. 

i5. 

i5. 

The Xeon beats the i5. I know there's a lot to go through, but it would have been great for you to read/skim some of these posts. 

The Xeon beats the i5. I know there's a lot to go through, but it would have been great for you to read/skim some of these posts. 

Never said it did not outperform. I prefer the i5, It's an opinion. I understand that objectively the Xeon is better. I subjectively prefer the i5 in this scenario.