Should I Go With An i5-4690K or Get the E3 Xeon 1231/41 v3?

You asked which to go for and I gave you some factual numbers from my own experience, average 4690k oc is 4.6ghz, so it'd be about equal to the 12x1v3 and be $20 cheaper (after you grab a 212 evo). And you still keep the single threaded performance advantage which will come into play with games. You get quicksync for rendering too which Xeons don't get. If you're already set on a Xeon then go buy that rather than making threads about it...

No....I actually was just sort of restating what you said and added to it. Though which do you recommend? At first you sounded like you were on the Xeon's side, now you're suddenly going for the i5? 

The Xeon 1231 V3 is the same chip as the i7-4790 only 200mhz slower but it does have hyper-threading...it does not carry the onboard graphics. For gaming they are exactly the same but the xeon is priced closer to an i5 K chip.

Didn't know that, thank you. Seems like a pretty good deal then.

Please note that there ARE E3 Xeon's with on board graphics. The ones that end with "5" or "6" have them, and still cost wayyy less than an i7. 

No....I actually was just sort of restating what you said and added to it. Though which do you recommend? At first you sounded like you were on the Xeon's side, now you're suddenly going for the i5? 

I was just stating facts from my own experience. Whether you buy i5 or xeon doesn't really matter I just see more benefit on the i5 side myself.

I5 advantage:

can be faster overclocked

quicksync

better single core perf when overclocked (games, general performance etc)

xeon advantage:

better stock performance

run cooler/save 50w of tdp vs oc i5

as you've noted some xeons have the P4600 graphics which support quicksync, so they're an option too

although if you could save on other areas in your rig... a 4790k could be the ultimate cpu choice :)

Please note that there ARE E3 Xeon's with on board graphics. The ones that end with "5" or "6" have them, and still cost wayyy less than an i7. 

Noted. :P

Thank you

I was just stating facts from my own experience. Whether you buy i5 or xeon doesn't really matter I just see more benefit on the i5 side myself.

I5 advantage:

can be faster overclocked

quicksync

better single core perf when overclocked (games, general performance etc)

xeon advantage:

better stock performance

run cooler/save 50w of tdp vs oc i5

as you've noted some xeons have the P4600 graphics which support quicksync, so they're an option too

although if you could save on other areas in your rig... a 4790k could be the ultimate cpu choice :)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NbVsMp You mean like that?

If you're wondering about some of the parts just refer to a tad higher up on this page when I explained it to someone else. 

Also to already note it, there's no RAM because I already have some. 

I think the 4790K would be the best of both worlds to be honest, if you look at the cinebench (render benchmark I mentioned before) thread on LTT it really does blow away i5s when both are overclocked (and if i5 matches xeon when oced, those too). I think the extra money spent is worth it myself.

Off the top of my head using 11.5 scores stock i7 @3.5/turbo was 8.2, oced 4790ks (4.7ish which is basically what they all do) are hitting 10.50, so a ~28% improvement, and it's less than 28% more money to grab one :P

Only thing I'm not 100% convinced about in your choice is the case, my R4 regular struggled a bit (stock fans move very little air) when I was running lots of overclocked high wattage stuff (those amd 8 cores...).

oops... forgot to tag @MeesterJackson

get e3 1246 with cheap h81 board

-single threaded performance almost same as 4790  see cpubenchmark.net

-price: 275$+55$=330$

-igpu in case ur dedicated gpu fails

-8 threads,and future games with dx12 support gonna use them

It's because I don't really have the money for an i7 now, by the time I did the new i7 would be out, so why wouldn't I get that? 

Offcourse i do understand that.

But if you main concern is rendering right now, then i would indeed grab a xeon E3-1231V3.

Threads do offcourse matter in rendering, however an overclocked i5 can beat the xeon E3 render performance. But it wont be significant enough to justify the cost for more expensive cooling.

You could grab a Z97 board right now with a Xeon, and be ready for a broadwell upgrade

-Yes I do, I've done my research, if I'm going to run 2 970's, like 2 or even more than 3 HDDs, about 2 SSDs, the motherboard itself needing power, possibly running 32GB of RAM (debating that, may still go with 16GB), powering an optical drive, and having my CPU's and GPU's OC'd? Yeahhh no, the 650w G I had in there before was literally estimated at like 620ish power without OC's obviously being a factor and that's a no-no for me.  

You're exaggerating. A 970 will consume in worst case scenario's 160W which is nothing, since the voltage is locked to somewhere around 1.21V which is 50mVt more than the stock voltage, expect like a small gain in Wattage. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,7.html (they calculated the max power the GPU alone pulls, not system power draw)

A 650W PSU is plenty, instead of paying for a 750W, get yourself one thats fully modular/semi-passive. For 10$ more you have the 750G2 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr - that one is fully modular/semi-passive. I'd go with this PSU instead; http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9

It's seasonic, we all know how great they are, that's 40$ already that you saved that you can more towards the 4790K. Getting the XFX 50$ saved.

-Hell no. Lol I'm not taking my system apart unless I seriously need to/It's for upgrades. 

What about getting a cheaper case? A corsair 200R. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300rwindowed

40$ cheaper already.

-Too many complaints about coil wine and noise, also I don't give a crap what EVGA says there's no way the heat pipes are SUPPOSED to be un aligned. I could also get the non-superclocked blower card for 20ish dollars less as well. Your point? 

I went through maybe 15 cards last 2 years, all of them were whining except one, besides you might hear the whine but someone else won't. It the frequency is around 30K and you can only hear up to 24K, you won't hear it but if the frequency is below 24K you'll hear it. But you included an evga card in your pcpartpicker list? ACX is just a different cooler with the same pcb. Coil whine comes from the PCB, not from the cooler. Google chokes, the copper wires are glued, just like PSU's to prevent it from vibrating (which causes the whining noise). Besides coil whine is always there but it mostly operates above people's hearings.

-Obviously going for 2

SLI uh most of the time people say they're planning to do it but they never do it :P Anyways, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme3 can do 2Way SLI as well, will clock as good as the Z97-AR because it depends more on how well the chip is binned, it's just as reliable as the Asus board. 50$ saved again.

Offcourse i do understand that.

But if you main concern is rendering right now, then i would indeed grab a xeon E3-1231V3.

Threads do offcourse matter in rendering, however an overclocked i5 can beat the xeon E3 render performance. But it wont be significant enough to justify the cost for more expensive cooling.

You could grab a Z97 board right now with a Xeon, and be ready for a broadwell upgrade

what if with broadwell release intel releases new chipset ,ddr4 would be mainstream and then u wouldn't want old z97, so why invest money in it now?? ofcourse it is hypothetical

what if with broadwell release intel releases new chipset ,ddr4 would be mainstream and then u wouldn't want old z97, so why invest money in it now?? ofcourse it is hypothetical

There wont be a new chipset for broadwell Z97 is the chipset for broadwell.

Skylake will be launched on a new socket with totaly new chipset

Socket1151 Z170 / H170 chipset.

Broadwell, will just be a haswell refresh again, nothing too exciting about it.

get e3 1246 with cheap h81 board

-single threaded performance almost same as 4790  see cpubenchmark.net

-price: 275$+55$=330$

-igpu in case ur dedicated gpu fails

-8 threads,and future games with dx12 support gonna use them

The point of the current CPU is to hold me off for the next i7, are you guys even reading the original damn post? 

You're exaggerating. A 970 will consume in worst case scenario's 160W which is nothing, since the voltage is locked to somewhere around 1.21V which is 50mVt more than the stock voltage, expect like a small gain in Wattage. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_970_strix_review,7.html (they calculated the max power the GPU alone pulls, not system power draw)

A 650W PSU is plenty, instead of paying for a 750W, get yourself one thats fully modular/semi-passive. For 10$ more you have the 750G2 http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr - that one is fully modular/semi-passive. I'd go with this PSU instead; http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9

It's seasonic, we all know how great they are, that's 40$ already that you saved that you can more towards the 4790K. Getting the XFX 50$ saved.

What about getting a cheaper case? A corsair 200R. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-300rwindowed

40$ cheaper already.

I went through maybe 15 cards last 2 years, all of them were whining except one, besides you might hear the whine but someone else won't. It the frequency is around 30K and you can only hear up to 24K, you won't hear it but if the frequency is below 24K you'll hear it. But you included an evga card in your pcpartpicker list? ACX is just a different cooler with the same pcb. Coil whine comes from the PCB, not from the cooler. Google chokes, the copper wires are glued, just like PSU's to prevent it from vibrating (which causes the whining noise). Besides coil whine is always there but it mostly operates above people's hearings.

SLI uh most of the time people say they're planning to do it but they never do it :P Anyways, http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87extreme3 can do 2Way SLI as well, will clock as good as the Z97-AR because it depends more on how well the chip is binned, it's just as reliable as the Asus board. 50$ saved again.

Uhh..no I'm not. PCPartPicker does a great job at estimating wattage. If it's going to touch 600w+ with no overclocks once I add in more parts and my second GPU, when I actually OC everything it;s going to push the PSU to it's limit. 

It's on sale for a limited time only and I won't make the sale in time. Plus I have experience with EVGA and Corsair PSU's, rather use something I trust. 

No. It won't fit everything I want it to fit. I'm pretty much SET on the DR4, the only cases that I even had in mind other than it were the Corsair C70, Phanteks Enthoo Pro (which while yes it's a superior case in most situations, I've heard from a decent amount of reviews that the reason they were able to make it so cheap is because the side panel window scratches easily and the paint also easily comes off), the 750D and other cases in the 100 USD price range or higher. I am a man of looks and performance. If my case doesn't have a side panel window nor looks decent/nice I don't want it. lol 

I've barely seen too many people complain about coil whine on their blower style coolers. Plus it's a blower style...which helps for SLI. 

Nope. Totally doing it. Pretty much dead set on it. I'll be buying another monitor after that one and it'll probably be 1440p if not higher in res. 

Picked the AR because it's ASUS, it's silver and black and not gold and brown, fits with the color scheme I'm going to do, I don't really trust ASRock. 

Can't you just be satisfied that I actually put the i7 in there? If you want my build to be cheaper so badly, then I'll just lower the SSD capacity. As long as the build isn't hitting 1,500 USD (and the monitor is included) I'm fine. 

Broadwell, will just be a haswell refresh again, nothing too exciting about it.

My point still stands at that point though, If I wasn't going to have enough for an i7 and had to get one next year, I'd just get the Broadwell i7. 

Can't you just be satisfied that I actually put the i7 in there? If you want my build to be cheaper so badly, then I'll just lower the SSD capacity. As long as the build isn't hitting 1,500 USD (and the monitor is included) I'm fine. 

Thought you didn't have the money? That's why I was telling you to cheap out on other parts so you could afford a 4790k. 

Thought you didn't have the money? That's why I was telling you to cheap out on other parts so you could afford a 4790k. 

No no no dude, lol I think you misread. Remember when I first linked the i7 build? I said "Ok then, how's that?" That was sort of me showing you that it fit in my budget. The only downside is that I lose in the cooling department by a lot, though the 212 Evo should be able to hold a stable 4.5Ghz OC and I'll just get a H105 or H100i later....along with all the other stuff I'm buying for my build in the future. lol

No no no dude, lol I think you misread. Remember when I first linked the i7 build? I said "Ok then, how's that?" That was sort of me showing you that it fit in my budget. The only downside is that I lose in the cooling department by a lot, though the 212 Evo should be able to hold a stable 4.5Ghz OC and I'll just get a H105 or H100i later....along with all the other stuff I'm buying for my build in the future. lol

Okay just one quick thing; The 750 G2 costs 10$ more than the 750 B2 (you included), is fully modular/semi-passive/gold and much better electrical performance/build quality. It's a nobrainer here.

750 G2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

750 B2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=393

You can get an individual sleeved set for the 750 G2 as well.

A H100i/H105 is quite pointless for Haswell lol. Haswell cooling is more about how tight the mount is (better mounting kit etc) and how quick you can dissipate heat away. It's not about 700W 920mm radiators etc. Before Ivy it was all about how much heat your cooler could dissipate but after Intel decided to use Thermal paste instead of soldering, the die barely transfers any heat to the IHS > Cooler baseplate. An evo 212 is plenty for Haswell, although their mounting sucks, before you even need better cooling you're hitting the thermal wall and at that point even a custom loop won't cool them properly down.

For X99, mainly because the die is soldered instead it matters a lot how much cooling capacity you have because there's a bunch more heat being transfered. The NH-u12s is 30$ more than the evo 212, will perform better because of a tighter mount, installation is billion times easier, the fan is much better & quieter.

Okay just one quick thing; The 750 G2 costs 10$ more than the 750 B2 (you included), is fully modular/semi-passive/gold and much better electrical performance/build quality. It's a nobrainer here.

750 G2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

750 B2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=393

You can get an individual sleeved set for the 750 G2 as well.

A H100i/H105 is quite pointless for Haswell lol. Haswell cooling is more about how tight the mount is (better mounting kit etc) and how quick you can dissipate heat away. It's not about 700W 920mm radiators etc. Before Ivy it was all about how much heat your cooler could dissipate but after Intel decided to use Thermal paste instead of soldering, the die barely transfers any heat to the IHS > Cooler baseplate. An evo 212 is plenty for Haswell, although their mounting sucks, before you even need better cooling you're hitting the thermal wall and at that point even a custom loop won't cool them properly down.

For X99, mainly because the die is soldered instead it matters a lot how much cooling capacity you have because there's a bunch more heat being transfered. The NH-u12s is 30$ more than the evo 212, will perform better because of a tighter mount, installation is billion times easier, the fan is much better & quieter.

I'll see what I can do when I need to purchase my parts, but the G2 is actually 20 dollars more (check my build again, the 750B is 90 dollars, not 100) and is pushing the build past 1,500 USD at that point. Also if you DO check it right now, ignore Amazon selling the i7 for 310 USD, their prices are always random and I assume it'll go back up to regular price the next day lol. 

Ehhh...an AIO water cooler still performs better, looks better in the case, and I'd like to give water cooling a shot as I'm completely new to it. So I'm still going to buy it later lol. 

Actually, believe it or not, I can make a 1,500 USD X99 build, only problem is that I can't buy a monitor with that and would have to purchase one later. Would you recommend a X99 build to me? Some people have told me before to go for it what about you? 

Not sure if @Faa got this...or is just napping. LOL

Actually, believe it or not, I can make a 1,500 USD X99 build, only problem is that I can't buy a monitor with that and would have to purchase one later. Would you recommend a X99 build to me? Some people have told me before to go for it what about you? 

How long is your rendering times? 5 minutes or 8 hours? How many times do you do it? Hardcore rendering, sure X99 is worth it. Keep in mind there are 8 core Xeons with HT (boosting to 2.4 or 2.8GHz) for 600$ which fit on X99 (haven't checked but the Asrock Extreme 3 thing supported it) but that gaming performance wouldn't be that amazing as a 5820K clocked at 4.5GHz.

600$ 8 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/83357

700$ 8 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/83356

Not sure how much slower the 5820K at 4.5GHz would be. I wouldn't sacrifice X99 for a monitor though if I really need its performance, that's just me. A monitor can always wait.

Ehhh...an AIO water cooler still performs better, looks better in the case, and I'd like to give water cooling a shot as I'm completely new to it. So I'm still going to buy it later lol. 

Yeah theoretically, not on lga1150 cpu's although some coolers like the evo 212 have a shitty contactbase/mounting kit so the difference between the nh-u12s/evo could be huge but between the H100i/NH-u12s there isn't alot. On X99, temp difference is easily 15-20° though.

but the G2 is actually 20 dollars more (check my build again, the 750B is 90 dollars, not 100) 

I know it's 90$. The G2 is at microcenter at 99$ http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/microcenter/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Not sure if youre noise sensitive but I've had so many psu's just with a high minimum RPM that was so loud, that's when you wish it was semi-passive. There are no proper noise tests of the 750 B2 so I can't say its quiet. What do you think about this one? 80$ isn't a lot imo; http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=78946&vpn=P1-750B-BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1342

Fully modular, semi-passive, gold, fluid dynamic bearing fan instead of a double ball bearing although its noisy at full load but I doubt you'll get there. Review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/XTR650/11.html

How long is your rendering times? 5 minutes or 8 hours? How many times do you do it? Hardcore rendering, sure X99 is worth it. Keep in mind there are 8 core Xeons with HT (boosting to 2.4 or 2.8GHz) for 600$ which fit on X99 (haven't checked but the Asrock Extreme 3 thing supported it) but that gaming performance wouldn't be that amazing as a 5820K clocked at 4.5GHz.

600$ 8 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/83357

700$ 8 core: http://ark.intel.com/products/83356

Not sure how much slower the 5820K at 4.5GHz would be. I wouldn't sacrifice X99 for a monitor though if I really need its performance, that's just me. A monitor can always wait.

Yeah theoretically, not on lga1150 cpu's although some coolers like the evo 212 have a shitty contactbase/mounting kit so the difference between the nh-u12s/evo could be huge but between the H100i/NH-u12s there isn't alot. On X99, temp difference is easily 15-20° though.

I know it's 90$. The G2 is at microcenter at 99$ http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/microcenter/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Not sure if youre noise sensitive but I've had so many psu's just with a high minimum RPM that was so loud, that's when you wish it was semi-passive. There are no proper noise tests of the 750 B2 so I can't say its quiet. What do you think about this one? 80$ isn't a lot imo; http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=78946&vpn=P1-750B-BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1342

Fully modular, semi-passive, gold, fluid dynamic bearing fan instead of a double ball bearing although its noisy at full load but I doubt you'll get there. Review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/XFX/XTR650/11.html

Oh ho ho...You want to know my rendering times?....2 Hours....(You're currently thinking "Oh that's not TOO bad") Yeah....2 Hours for a 15 MINUTE 720P Video. That's horrible. I've just started doing walkthroughs on my channel in preparation for the Halo: Master Chief Collection for Xbox One, so I've literally been uploading 2 videos or more every day for the last like 3+ weeks. 

Let's say I record for 2 Hours? I then split up that session into 15 minute parts for YouTube....this...takes....DAYS. At most 3, but still, HOLY CRAP it takes too long. I can't even render anything in 1080p (I have before though) because it adds like another 30 minutes, or even worse, to the damn rendering process. 

I would LOVE to render two 1080p video's at once one day, but I think the mainstream i7-4790k can do that for me as well. 

For X99 I can only fit the 5820k in because I have to buy DDR4 unlike with LGA 1150 or even the older LGA 2011 which saves me some money (although I'm just going to buy a bigger kit of RAM later anyways regardless of if it's a DDR4 or DDR3 platform). If I didn't have to buy DDR4, like I don't have to buy DDR3 from the start, I'd probably be able to fit the 5930k in the build, but honestly, I don't quite see the point of the 5930k as the 5820k is now a 6 core as well and could easily overclock near the 5930k and the only major difference I see is less PCI-E lanes which....still can do 3 GPU's...so it's not a big deal lol. 

Well the Evo isn't going to stay, so don't worry about it so much, it's just a placeholder for my next cooler. 

LOL That's AFTER a rebate, which means I still need to pay 125 USD up front. No thank you. Rebates don't always go through so smoothly. 

I know you're trying to help me and I REALLY appreciate it, but please stop using NCIX to show me things lol. They CONSTANTLY have deals going on, which are obviously, a limited time only. I probably won't make them in time. I'll be making this build in late October (Most likely in 2 or 3 weeks) so the deals that are going on now, are definitely going to end before then. If you want, I can make another post about my build in the future a day or 2 before I actually make my build and I'll tag you in it, or we can discuss this in PM's before I make it as well. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/174767-new-build-for-video-editing/#entry3089599. I went from xeon to i7 for video editing and it's a dream come true

Once again. You have a E5 Xeon, I'm talking about the E3's. The E3's perform well in gaming and are better suited for such rather than an E5 Xeon. The E5's are only good at handling workstation tasks, the E3's can do that and game because they're pretty much i7's. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gXkkqs

Here's the X99 Build I came up with. Though, Idk, I've looked up performance charts before, and the 5820k only beats the i7-4790k in rendering, everything else is essentially a tie, besides live streaming too, I'd assume live streaming is better on the 5820k because of it's 6 cores compared to the 4 on the i7-4790k. (oh and RAM, I guess it beats it in that too considering it has DDR4). 

Gaming results are the same, and everything else like I said before is also kind of the same. 

I'm not only losing a monitor (which is the BEST 1080p monitor that you can buy mind you) I'm also losing out on SSD storage. My i7-4790k build had a 256GB SSD in it, the 5820k has a 120GB. 

I think the LGA 1150 is overall a better option, but that's just me. 

@Faa

@MeesterJackson the XFX I linked is 100$ without mail rebates. It's a seasonic brand so you can trust it fully. Up to you really, just don't want to see you regretting the 750 B2 because its not fully modular or semi-passive, that's all. The 750 B2 is a great/reliable PSU.

Well lets say your current CPU renders 72 hours, a 4790k would be roughly 5 times faster so thats 14 hours, a 5820K is around 50% faster so it will cut it again down to 7 hours, like I said earlier I wouldn't sacrifice X99 for a monitor though. 

Streaming, well you really need a 5820K for 1080p @ 60 fps streaming, my 3930K caps nearly at 90% load, it's totally worth it for 1080p 60 fps streaming imo. Gaming performance most of the time a 4790K will do better especially in mmo's because of its higher clock speed, but 5820K's clock much better, the chance that you won't be able to manage 4.4GHz on all 4 cores is there, most X99 cpu's I've seen were easily hitting 4.5GHz etc and you can have much higher vcores. 4790K's anything above 1.30V it just runs too hot, since X99 cpu's are soldered 1.30V is nothing.

Btw A-data sells 256GB SSD's for 100$ without mail rebates..

@MeesterJackson the XFX I linked is 100$ without mail rebates. It's a seasonic brand so you can trust it fully. Up to you really, just don't want to see you regretting the 750 B2 because its not fully modular or semi-passive, that's all. The 750 B2 is a great/reliable PSU.

Well lets say your current CPU renders 72 hours, a 4790k would be roughly 5 times faster so thats 14 hours, a 5820K is around 50% faster so it will cut it again down to 7 hours, like I said earlier I wouldn't sacrifice X99 for a monitor though. 

Streaming, well you really need a 5820K for 1080p @ 60 fps streaming, my 3930K caps nearly at 90% load, it's totally worth it for 1080p 60 fps streaming imo. Gaming performance most of the time a 4790K will do better especially in mmo's because of its higher clock speed, but 5820K's clock much better, the chance that you won't be able to manage 4.4GHz on all 4 cores is there, most X99 cpu's I've seen were easily hitting 4.5GHz etc and you can have much higher vcores. 4790K's anything above 1.30V it just runs too hot, since X99 cpu's are soldered 1.30V is nothing.

Btw A-data sells 256GB SSD's for 100$ without mail rebates..

1. Dude, pretty much all EVGA PSU's are great lol I know this, it's why I keep picking them (Some of the earlier models weren't THAT great but that was AWHILE ago). 

2. Rendering Benchmarks start at 8:51 (She's a reliable source, so you can trust them)

EDIT: Oh also, the Vegas ones are at 11:27.

2. Is that 50%? Because I just go off of raw numbers, that doesn't SEEM like 50% lol. 

3. Oh I know dude, I've seen the reviews, people have said the LGA 2011 platforms have been a DREAM to OC on, a decent amount of people actually use the Hyper 212 on their systems and say they get over 4.whatever Ghz easily. 

4. Do they now? But they're probably not as fast as the Crucial MX100 which is only 10 bucks more. (The 120GB Sandisk I picked is 80 dollars and outperforms the Samsung 840 Evo and is on par with the Crucial MX100).