Headphones with amp for 500ish

Octavialicious
Go to solution Solved by EmoRarity,

I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8 They look awesome and seem to be a good choice, but speaking they are right at my price limit I would have to use my cheap amp. Would it be that bad?

They don't take much to run, I've used mine off a tablet or old iPhone. 

Hey, I have about 520 dollars to buy my first pair of truly audiophile headphones. I have looked around a bit and found some stuff which looked promising, but most of the time it turns out it's not good at all, showing my noobyness. Anyways, here are the basic wants/needs in this headset.

Need:

- Closed

- Over ear

- decent sized ear cups

- good seal, I like actually feeling the bass

- good bass

- decent clarity

- I don't want to buy used headphones

Wants:

- a carrying case would be nice

- somewhat portable, if not it's fine

- I will use these on my pc most of the time, but sounding OK with a phone would be nice

Anyways, I also need a dac. I currently own this http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-pro.html which is somewhat nooby, but I could possibly use that and then buy a dac later on if the headphones are a bit more pricey. Like I said, 520 is the price including taxes and such. Thanks!

Oh and last thing, I could care less about fancy accessories. Like I said a case would be fine, but I rather get the best SQ for the price over a bunch of handy dandy little addons.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I think something like Mayflower's modded Fostex T50RP with an O2/ODAC combo fits your needs and budget.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

I think something like Mayflower's modded Fostex T50RP with an O2/ODAC combo fits your needs and budget.

They look decent, any other recommendations?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8 They look awesome and seem to be a good choice, but speaking they are right at my price limit I would have to use my cheap amp. Would it be that bad?

Alright, sweet! By the way, is the bass good for EDM?

Alright, sweet! By the way, is the bass good for EDM?

I do suppose. Not being a bass head I don't have an opinion on that matter that leans either way. 

I currently have the Razer Kraken 7.1 which have really good bass (everything else sucks obviously), how would these compare?

I currently have the Razer Kraken 7.1 which have really good bass (everything else sucks obviously), how would these compare?

The bass isn't even "Good" on the krakens imo :P. It's way too overpowering (bleeds), loose and lacking depth. Pretty much all of the headphones we'll be recommending will probably have less bass. 

The bass isn't even "Good" on the krakens imo :P. It's way too overpowering (bleeds), loose and lacking depth. Pretty much all of the headphones we'll be recommending will probably have less bass. 

But is the seal good? Because I like punchy bass, but what I liked about the kraken's were the fact that the seal was good and you could feel every kick. Do these do that at all, and if not any recommendations for bassy headphones?

The Sony XB-1000s look awesome, but I can't find them anywhere. Any other recommendations?

Edit: The Sony MDR-7520s look good, thoughts?

Sorry for all the bumps, but I think I found the perfect thing for me. http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412134164&sr=8-1&keywords=ultrasone+pro+900
It has a carrying case which isn't too large, not too flashy, and I hear they have reallly good bass.... Are these a good choice? Oh, and I hear these don't really need an amp, is this true? I know an amp would improve the quality but I should be fine right?

But is the seal good? Because I like punchy bass, but what I liked about the kraken's were the fact that the seal was good and you could feel every kick. Do these do that at all, and if not any recommendations for bassy headphones?

Seal is great, build is really nice, pads are the best in the world, bass is there is present, mids aren't overbearing, treble rolls off a bit early. 

Anything but the Ultrasones, ass headings in everyway. 

Seal is great, build is really nice, pads are the best in the world, bass is there is present, mids aren't overbearing, treble rolls off a bit early. 

Anything but the Ultrasones, ass headings in everyway. 

Alright, I guess I will be getting the Shures then, thanks! By the way, any cheap amps for future reference?

Alright, I guess I will be getting the Shures then, thanks! By the way, any cheap amps for future reference?

FiiO E6 if you are dying to pay for something. 

FiiO E6 if you are dying to pay for something. 

Ok, what about for desktop use? My pc doesn't have a working 3.5mm slot :c

Syba DAC, http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4

Or if you are feeling wasteful. FiiO E07k. 

I currently own this http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-pro.html Would that dac be a major improvement?

mGoJ6vO.jpg

In case you where wondering what my source is...

Omg, nice collection! Thanks again for all your help ^.^ Btw, possible brohoof?? ;o???

Omg, nice collection! Thanks again for all your help ^.^ Btw, possible brohoof?? ;o???

Thats is about half of it, there is a pair of Grado SR60's, MDR7506, and SE215's of camera. 

And, no. 

Latest trend seems to be tilted toward easy-to-drive headphones. Audeze's newest revision can all be driven with a regular phone. And doesn't even have to be a smartphone. Tried with my $40 candybar Nokia, and it worked....

Latest trend seems to be tilted toward easy-to-drive headphones. Audeze's newest revision can all be driven with a regular phone. And doesn't even have to be a smartphone. Tried with my $40 candybar Nokia, and it worked....

Do you think the Shure has good SQ for the price? It has a lot of extra stuff, is that why it's expensive or is the sound worth the price too?