Headphones with amp for 500ish

Octavialicious
Go to solution Solved by EmoRarity,

I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8 They look awesome and seem to be a good choice, but speaking they are right at my price limit I would have to use my cheap amp. Would it be that bad?

They don't take much to run, I've used mine off a tablet or old iPhone. 

Do you think the Shure has good SQ for the price? It has a lot of extra stuff, is that why it's expensive or is the sound worth the price too?

That's again the subjective part. Some people here love the SRH440 very much. Although yes, in my opinion the SRH440 sounds good for the price, it's too flat sounding for me, less fun. So if you ask me, with the same budget, I'd find other brands. But remember, that's me. 

That's again the subjective part. Some people here love the SRH440 very much. Although yes, in my opinion the SRH440 sounds good for the price, it's too flat sounding for me, less fun. So if you ask me, with the same budget, I'd find other brands. But remember, that's me.

The SRH-1540 silly lol, what do you think of those?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Same, too flat for my liking. Even their DJ line is too flat for my preference. 

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

They're not even very flat

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Same, too flat for my liking. Even their DJ line is too flat for my preference.

What would you get for 500? Bass please :3

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I dunno, perhaps it's because I stopped by their booth after browsing around, hearing headphones that's tilted to warm/bright side, V shaped, and such. It certainly sounds a lot better than the 440, that's for sure. But yeah, still too flat to my liking. Not a bad headphone, at all, just not my cup of tea. In short, I can't imagine I'd enjoy listening to it for a long run. Also keep in mind that I came from HE-400's crazy sound signature.

Love the design though:

IMG_5104_zps509e007f.jpg

Latest trend seems to be tilted toward easy-to-drive headphones. Audeze's newest revision can all be driven with a regular phone. And doesn't even have to be a smartphone. Tried with my $40 candybar Nokia, and it worked....

My favorite activity is getting $500+ headphones and connecting it to my crappy netbook and cell phone. And then using them for gaming, lol.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

My favorite activity is getting $500+ headphones and connecting it to my crappy netbook and cell phone. And then using them for gaming, lol.

I see you also play BF4 on your smartphone....

$500?

If for me, I'd go with HE-400, $300 + Aune T1, $200. That's my setup right now.

If I got more budget, I'd probably go with HE-500, or even a used LCD-2, same DAC/amp.

$500?

If for me, I'd go with HE-400, $300 + Aune T1, $200. That's my setup right now.

If I got more budget, I'd probably go with HE-500, or even a used LCD-2, same DAC/amp.

What about the Ultrasone Pro 900?

Never tried it. They don't have official store or dealer in my country, so I've never seen, let alone tried one.

Any other things you have listened to?

Any other things you have listened to?

Depends, whether you like boomy and loose bass, or punchy and tight bass.

For boomy and loose, you could go with Vmoda M100. It's a bit pricey though, as it's a bit of a fashion headphone. Or go with Sony XB series. XB500 is quite good.

FOr punchy and tight bass, I've never found anything better than planar headphones, like hifiman series, LCD series, etc. If you ask me, I'd still say planars are recommended to be used with a decent headphone amp, to give a stable supply of power to it. Planars nowadays can be driven with just a standard cell phone, but with a stable and good power, planars will sound better. There are others who are against this idea, so it's up to you as to which one to believe. 

Side note, Sony released their new 'bass-vibra' thingy. I don't even see it as a real headphone, more like a toy, maybe something you'd give your son, or niece or something. So it uses batteries (AAA I think), and got 1 switch and 1 slider on it. 1 switch to turn the 'bass boost' on, and the slider controls, get this, vibration. It literally vibrates along with the bass. Not those vibration from the big bass drivers, but from a dedicated vibrating component. Unfortunately, it turned the headphone into a Japanese Beats, with unbearable sounds. Best sound is achieved by turning every feature off, and just use it as a regular headphone.

Depends, whether you like boomy and loose bass, or punchy and tight bass.

For boomy and loose, you could go with Vmoda M100. It's a bit pricey though, as it's a bit of a fashion headphone. Or go with Sony XB series. XB500 is quite good.

FOr punchy and tight bass, I've never found anything better than planar headphones, like hifiman series, LCD series, etc. If you ask me, I'd still say planars are recommended to be used with a decent headphone amp, to give a stable supply of power to it. Planars nowadays can be driven with just a standard cell phone, but with a stable and good power, planars will sound better. There are others who are against this idea, so it's up to you as to which one to believe.

Side note, Sony released their new 'bass-vibra' thingy. I don't even see it as a real headphone, more like a toy, maybe something you'd give your son, or niece or something. So it uses batteries (AAA I think), and got 1 switch and 1 slider on it. 1 switch to turn the 'bass boost' on, and the slider controls, get this, vibration. It literally vibrates along with the bass. Not those vibration from the big bass drivers, but from a dedicated vibrating component. Unfortunately, it turned the headphone into a Japanese Beats, with unbearable sounds. Best sound is achieved by turning every feature off, and just use it as a regular headphone.

I really like punchy and tight, which are some good options?

Boomy and loose or punchy and tight...

What happened to accurate and true to the recording?  :(

Well, OP did ask for bassy headphones.

Answered before, HE-400 + Aune T1.

Alright, I will probably get those! thanks :) By the way just curious, what about the HE-400i? Any major differences? ;o

Oh wait aren't those open? I need something that is closed :( Any other suggestions?

Oh wait aren't those open? I need something that is closed :( Any other suggestions?

The only closed back with somewhat 'delicious' bass I've tried are the LCD-XC and the Audio Technica W5000, being the XC the superior one.

Well... I've already given my suggestions. So...

What do you suggest? I only see that post about the phone and gaming thing lol