Headphones with amp for 500ish

Octavialicious
Go to solution Solved by EmoRarity,

I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH1540-Premium-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B00FR8DMR8 They look awesome and seem to be a good choice, but speaking they are right at my price limit I would have to use my cheap amp. Would it be that bad?

They don't take much to run, I've used mine off a tablet or old iPhone. 

I said I liked the Mad Dog ($300) and Alpha Dog ($600). They are closed headphones and also planar magnetic headphones. I personally enjoy them very much. The Mad Dog is relatively cheap and has a fun sound signature which I think you'll like. It should be able to rain on that bass.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

I said I liked the Mad Dog ($300) and Alpha Dog ($600). They are closed headphones and also planar magnetic headphones. I personally enjoy them very much. The Mad Dog is relatively cheap and has a fun sound signature which I think you'll like. It should be able to rain on that bass.

ok, would the alpha dog need an amp?

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

The Alpha Dog is more neutral than the Mad Dog so it doesn't have as much of an emphasized bass. You could EQ it. You probably won't need an aftermarket amp for these headphones.

The Alpha Dog has more sound isolation and a little bit larger soundstage.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

The Alpha Dog is more neutral than the Mad Dog so it doesn't have as much of an emphasized bass. You could EQ it. You probably won't need an aftermarket amp for these headphones.

The Alpha Dog has more sound isolation and a little bit larger soundstage.

I thought T50RP is low on efficiency? Could be wrong though.

Anyway, it won't be too late to get one, and if it turn out that he'd need an amp, then get an amp.

According to the stats on Mr. Speaker's website, the efficiency is like that of an HD600 (slightly lower, shouldn't be enough to matter, we're talking like 1-2db). Inner Fidelity never got around to testing them so I can't pull up data from them.

And yeah, even if he needs an amp, a budget one won't be a problem considering the price of the Alpha Dog.

Ooh, what about these? JVC HP-DX700 I saw them on some Hi-fi bass headphone guide

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Ooh, what about these? JVC HP-DX700 I saw them on some Hi-fi bass headphone guide

Realistically speaking, you could keep going through hundreds types of headphones out there, with reviews ranging from 'sounds good' to 'puking rainbows', and you won't get anywhere. 

Best thing to do is to find a store like this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147249-candy-store-for-audio-manias/ and try them one by one until you find the one you like.

If you can't do that, then it's better to put a deadline date for suggestions, and on that date, compile all of them, find some more info on them, and get the one appeals to you the most. Buying something solely based on reviews and other people's suggestion would always be a kind of a gamble, or hit and miss, you may like it, then again you may not. There are no other way around this (unless you go with the suggestion above, go find a headphone store)

Realistically speaking, you could keep going through hundreds types of headphones out there, with reviews ranging from 'sounds good' to 'puking rainbows', and you won't get anywhere.

Best thing to do is to find a store like this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/147249-candy-store-for-audio-manias/ and try them one by one until you find the one you like.

If you can't do that, then it's better to put a deadline date for suggestions, and on that date, compile all of them, find some more info on them, and get the one appeals to you the most. Buying something solely based on reviews and other people's suggestion would always be a kind of a gamble, or hit and miss, you may like it, then again you may not. There are no other way around this (unless you go with the suggestion above, go find a headphone store)

True, I'll try looking for one. Thanks for the advice! :)