SMS Self Destructing SSDs UPDATE: Pricing and Availability

werto165

Oh my god that is so fucking cool. I wouldn't have any use for it, but damn that would be cool.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I want this.

And to those who say it's for illegal activities, you really think the police aren't above putting shit on your computer that wasn't originally there to begin with? It does happen. Same way cops have "found" drugs in people's cars.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Pokemon should sue them, clearly copying one of their attacks........

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Bring a GSM jammer with you, problem solved.

Reading closer I see you can set a starvation period. This may or may not be desirable though as you could starve the drive to destroy data.

Indeed the manufacturer claims other failsafe methods in case a GSM Jammer is present, including that "starvation" period you're referring to. Obviously the user would need to properly configure all the methods they want to use though to take full advantage of this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Am I missing something here. If the laptop is turned off can the drive still self destruct I'm guessing it would have an internal battery just for the gsm radio but if this is the case what is to stop me from detonating is if police take it from me and I had something illegal. Encryption would work too for most things but its just one of those devils advocate thoughts.

These kind of things would be so amazing for the company I used to work for who they handled a lot of sensitive files shame they would be too cheap to buy them.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Next version of CryptoWare Ransomware virus... Pay $500 or we destroy your SSD!. not good.

Am I missing something here. If the laptop is turned off can the drive still self destruct I'm guessing it would have an internal battery just for the gsm radio but if this is the case what is to stop me from detonating is if police take it from me and I had something illegal. Encryption would work too for most things but its just one of those devils advocate thoughts.

These kind of things would be so amazing for the company I used to work for who they handled a lot of sensitive files shame they would be too cheap to buy them.

• Low Battery Level - If you chose this option then the Drive will self-destruct if its internal battery level falls below a given level. This protects against the Drive battery being run flat in an attempt to circumvent the Drives protection mechanisms.
  • GSM Starvation Period – You can specify a period of time in hours that if the Drive cannot access a GSM service within this time period then the Drive will self-destruct. Protection Against: The removal of the GSM service in an attempt to circumvent the security features of the Drive.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

What I think would be really useful is if the laptop HDD or SSD was destroyed if it was taken out of a field. Say if it was taken out of the company building or something. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

• Low Battery Level - If you chose this option then the Drive will self-destruct if its internal battery level falls below a given level. This protects against the Drive battery being run flat in an attempt to circumvent the Drives protection mechanisms.
  • GSM Starvation Period – You can specify a period of time in hours that if the Drive cannot access a GSM service within this time period then the Drive will self-destruct. Protection Against: The removal of the GSM service in an attempt to circumvent the security features of the Drive.

Thank you kind sir I was viewing from my tablet and didn't read the articles fully.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I literally can't think of a single use that this would have for a consumer outside of illegal things.

It's still cool, don't get me wrong. I just don't get the point of this if you're not doing something illegal, at least as a consumer.

I'm currently working in a law firm in Chicago, and I can think of several. Hell, I've got stuff right here in another window that could be a big deal if someone with bad intentions got their hands on it.

It might just be something as simple and everyday as protecting personal and contact information. Plenty of people access their bank accounts via their computer, and plenty of people may keep tax records or bank statements backed up on their drive.

Or, imagine a small business owner. If someone gets into their harddrive, they may have access to private business records, as well as even more dangerous stuff, like employee social security numbers and banking information.

There are other things I run into that are less common outside of this office, I'm sure, but that are still a big deal worth mentioning. If an attorney's laptop is stolen and the thief accesses confidential client information, well, that may not end very well for the client or the company.

This will be great until people work out how to get the codes.

lmfao I didn't even think about that.

Ouch.

Yeah, that would be a bit of an issue, wouldn't it...

Well, at least you would have a hard time guessing. I assume the text isn't exactly something like "password123", and matching however many possible password combinations there are to the 1,000,000,000--1,000,000,000,000 possible phone numbers (depending on whether or not they also use country codes) would take forever, even with massive computers texting constantly.

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z77, GPU: EVGA GTX 760 SC 2Gb, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750 G, RAM: 8 Gbs Corsair Vengeance @1600MHz, Storage (SSD/HDD): Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb/WD Black 1Tb

Feel free to check out my first album/EP 抱き枕 on Soundcloud and follow me for new tracks and WIPs in the future~! https://soundcloud.com/eric-bishton/sets/dakimakura

What I think would be really useful is if the laptop HDD or SSD was destroyed if it was taken out of a field. Say if it was taken out of the company building or something. 

You could securely attach an RFID chip to the SSD and if it leaves the field then a system could send the self-destruct code.

need to get eight and throw them in raid 0 for extreme data security (with lsi controller), no backup needed whatsoever, lol.

probably will cost 300-500$ more per drive tho (with all the explosive, the cellphone and such, in that small of a formfactor).

2600k, HD6870, 16GB

Or companies, sometimes it's worth loosing the data permanently than having it fall into other peoples hands. But it seems everyone here just thinks that these drives are for drug dealers, this is like the 5th post saying illegal activities.

Also, as someone who works for a security company part time, these would be perfect, they have drives containing information, settings, phones and keys of alarm systems, even those in banks, so now you can see the use. Don't get me wrong, that data is protected, but it's nothing that can't be eventually decrypted/brute forced. :P

That's also true. All the tax evasion for the big companies. No, but is is also needed for legal things.

Drug dealers will not get this drive. Too sophisticated to use. I guess that the illegal stuff is closer at hand to most of us. That's why we all think of it :P

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

Geeze just put a Faraday cage over it and you can't break jack @#$#.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

You could securely attach an RFID chip to the SSD and if it leaves the field then a system could send the self-destruct code.

Yea that would be great. This sort of thing for the government would be really good. There have been too many times where documents have been leaked from offices because an idiot put secret documents in public bins. Not that we shouldn't know all of out governemnts secrets. It's important for governments to be completely transparent. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

A serious issue: How do we test if the drive work as intended? I mean every kind of hardware malfunctions sometimes, that's what warranty is for. How can I be sure that my drive's self destruct actually works?

MSI MAG Tomahawk Z790 Wifi, Intel Core™ i7-13700K, 2x16Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 7200Mt/s, Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX3070Samsung 980 PRO 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO plus 2TB , Seasonic SSR 1000FX GOLD, case Corsair 5000D, Corsair H150i Elite, monitor Alienware AW2723DF

The idea is nice. If i were running a company that manipulate sensible data or just that the business needs internal stuff to be realy secure, the ability to destroy any drive that can be lost in the wild (stolen laptop... sh*t like that), this could be usefull.

For normal user there is just no use to remotely destructing drives like this one...

Yea that would be great. This sort of thing for the government would be really good. There have been too many times where documents have been leaked from offices because an idiot put secret documents in public bins. Not that we shouldn't know all of out governemnts secrets. It's important for governments to be completely transparent. 

That's a rather naive opinion. Yes transparency is very important for a 1st world nation, but if you (average Joe citizen) know their secrets, then so does the rest of the world. Do you honestly believe that the government should have no secrets? What about classified intelligence information? What about deep cover operatives and spies/anti-terrorist tier 1 special forces, etc? What about nuclear launch codes or the way our defense systems work?

There is plenty of information that must be kept confidential for a modern country to function. Of course, the Government should be more transparent about a lot of things still, but there are limits.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not quite completely transparent, we need surveillance for criminals and terrorists and this doesn't go well if they get hold of drives.

Hmm.. combine this with those heartbeat-sensing auto-message devices, you could maybe trick it out to send an sms if you died. Cool beans

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

big deal, OCZ mastered self destructing drives years ago.

☐ Not REKT

☑ REKT

☑ REKTangle

☑ SHREKT

☑ REKT-it Ralph

☑ Total REKTall

☑ The Lord of the REKT

☑ The Usual SusREKTs

☑ North by NorthREKT

☑ REKT to the Future

☑ Tyrannosaurus REKT

☑ Full mast eREKTion

☑ REKTum

☑ ResurRekt

☑ CorRekt

☑ IndiREKT

Not quite completely transparent, we need surveillance for criminals and terrorists and this doesn't go well if they get hold of drives.

The terrorists wouldn't have existed if we had left all of their countries alone. If governments stopped interfering with unstable countries we wouldn't make enemies. Governments are there to run the country for the people and the organisations within that country not influence, invade and generally f*ck up other countries. But that is just my opinion.

(\__/)

(='.'=)