AMD Readying Two New 20nm Cards To Go against Maxwell, 380X Will Take on 980, 390X Will Take on Titan 2 / 980 Ti

CarlosRex

Why the hell do they have to codename the different cores? Why can't they be like Nvidia, name the architecture, and then put varying amounts of Stream processors in them. Jeez AMD, get your shit together.

Not everyone is easily confused by nomenclature.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Not everyone is easily confused by nomenclature.

Yeah, I hope the right guys at AMD know what's what :D

That aside, thinking that it's unnecessary doesn't necessarily make you confused. If I cared enough about AMD I would make sure to not get confused, but I don't so I would rather have a sensible system where I know what's what at a glance.

Why is it ever interesting when amd and nvidia have cards are close in performance... they're both made by tsmc.  I expect them to be neck and neck for the forseable future untill they stop using the same company to make their dies. Why is amd not neck and neck with intel... because their chips arent made in the same factory. I know its an oversimplification but really... its never interesting that amd cards and nvidia card are neck and neck.

Yes the process technology is one major reason that Intel is ahead of AMD.

But it's probably not the only reason. Intel is a behemoth, and I think their R&D budget is something that AMD cannot even come close to matching.

Nvidia is an impressive company in their own right but competing with Intel CPUs is relatively much more difficult for AMD (or anyone) than competing with Nvidia GPUs. The amount of scale that Intel has in their business just dwarfes AMD, they are huge.

AMD released the 9800 in 2003, so AMD was 10 times as advanced a decade ago as Nvidia is now.

:blink:

Nvidia Also had 9000 series in 2008 so they were only 5 years behind by that logic, I still have 2 laying around a 9800gtx and 9600gtx 

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

It's an unnecessary stopgap, and might actually screw up efficiency even more compared to 28nm.

How exactly would it screw up efficiency? (Honest question, I really have a limited knowledge on the relation ship between nm process and power consumption).

How exactly would it screw up efficiency? (Honest question, I really have a limited knowledge on the relation ship between nm process and power consumption).

Because if AMD packs the same really hot transistors more densely, even if on a smaller process, then the total heat output would actually increase. It's not like Intel's FinFET tech where the extra heat can be spread more easily and less electricity is needed to flip a gate.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Because if AMD packs the same really hot transistors more densely, even if on a smaller process, then the total heat output would actually increase. It's not like Intel's FinFET tech where the extra heat can be spread more easily and less electricity is needed to flip a gate.

Nothing to do with the transistors themselves. Inherent issue with HKMG.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Actually since they are 20 nm cards. Don't be suprised when they absolutely destroy maxell in the best and power department.

You can only push architecture so far, smaller Transistors will really step up the game thou.

Only that the transistor count gets bigger too,so eventually you'll make a better performing card with less materials and thus a lesser price.

Yes,it will help in power efficiency a little/more(it depends),but as long as their architecture is still inefficient...

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Only that the transistor count gets bigger too,so eventually you'll make a better performing card with less materials and thus a lesser price.

Yes,it will help in power efficiency a little/more(it depends),but as long as their architecture is still inefficient...

I've been seeing this "inefficient architecture"-thing touted over and over nowadays, and yet the only point towards that has been that it isn't as efficient as Maxwell. Well, no wonder since we're talking about uarch's that are 3 years apart.

I've been seeing this "inefficient architecture"-thing touted over and over nowadays, and yet the only point towards that has been that it isn't as efficient as Maxwell. Well, no wonder since we're talking about uarch's that are 3 years apart.

The first GCN series was 7000,right?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

The first GCN series was 7000,right?

Indeed, released in January 2012. Nearly three years ago.

It's not as thermally efficient as Kepler either.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia Also had 9000 series in 2008 so they were only 5 years behind by that logic, I still have 2 laying around a 9800gtx and 9600gtx 

I think I went a little light on the logic in that particular post. :P

I wish I could wait until AMD releases their new big guns, but I currently have no GPU and need one fairly soon. 

I still think the extra features of the GTX 900's (FMAA, DSR, etc.) will still carry it, but only if AMD doesn't bring any such features to compete. Mantle is great, but there just aren't that many titles that use it at the moment and the performance difference in those particular games isn't earth-shattering. 

The GPU wars are getting really interesting though... :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I wish I could wait until AMD releases their new big guns, but I currently have no GPU and need one fairly soon. 

I still think the extra features of the GTX 900's (FMAA, DSR, etc.) will still carry it, but only if AMD doesn't bring any such features to compete. Mantle is great, but there just aren't that many titles that use it at the moment and the performance difference in those particular games isn't earth-shattering. 

The GPU wars are getting really interesting though... :D

770's are getting cheaper and can play most any game really well. Then you can save up for an AMD card or Nvidia card depending on how well the new cards perform next year

770's are getting cheaper and can play most any game really well. Then you can save up for an AMD card or Nvidia card depending on how well the new cards perform next year

Well I'm a strong advocate performance per dollar. Here in Canada at least, the 770's are still too expensive, relative to their performance. 

The 970, though, is just awesome and would suit me quite well for several years. I'm still gaming on 1080p (single monitor), so a 970 would be overkill for now and allow me to upgrade to 1440p (ultra wide I hope) maybe some time next year without having to upgrade. 770's are decent cards, don't get me wrong, I just don't think they offer great value at this point. Plus I really want FMAA and DSR. :D

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Why is it ever interesting when amd and nvidia have cards are close in performance... they're both made by tsmc.  I expect them to be neck and neck for the forseable future untill they stop using the same company to make their dies. Why is amd not neck and neck with intel... because their chips arent made in the same factory. I know its an oversimplification but really... its never interesting that amd cards and nvidia card are neck and neck.

I mean... that's not how Processor manufacturing works at all. Yes they are both made in TSMC fabs, but TSMC doesn't design the SoC, they just get the specs and follow the "recipe". The architectures of AMD vs NVidia are so wildly different.

TSMC also makes Apple A8 SoC's as well as other ARM CPU's. How come smartphones aren't neck and neck with GTX 980's? Obviously this is an extreme example of your argument, but the basic principle is the same. TSMC can make a wide variety of different CPU or SoC dies, depending on what their clients require. Architecture means everything. The factory they are made in only matters to a very small degree (Quality Assurance, and technical limitations, etc).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I wouldnt believe it eithier except they announced it at AMd Japan conference so it is legit

Completely off topic, but is your profile picture actually you? Because it looks a scary amount like my history prof.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I wouldnt believe it eithier except they announced it at AMd Japan conference so it is legit

Both you

Completely off topic, but is your profile picture actually you? Because it looks a scary amount like my history prof.

And your prof look like the infamous YouTuber Jesse Cox

always_bet_on_jesse_cox_by_lord_frostedf

(who used to be a Teacher, before YouTube. btw...)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1. Hows it off topic when im confirming that this thread is true they announced it at the AMD japan conference - 

2. yes it my real picture lol

1. Hows it off topic when im confirming that this thread is true they announced it at the AMD japan conference -

2. yes it my real picture lol
He was referring to his question about your picture.
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?