AMD Readying Two New 20nm Cards To Go against Maxwell, 380X Will Take on 980, 390X Will Take on Titan 2 / 980 Ti

CarlosRex

You all joke but really I don't think people understand why the cards heat up so much. Unlike normal gpu's (which try to actively cool itself down by increasing the fan speed as soon as the temps rise). For some reason AMD have tried out another way of letting the card heat up all the way into the 80-90's before letting the fan speed up to cool it down (sure yes this runs warmer but tbh it doesnt really matter its just we are used to lower is better I never hear people compalin about how hot laptop CPU's get). I think they were going for a quiet but warmer approach but really fudged up the cooler. Personally I run two reference 290x's and I leave everything on default and even when Im pushing them super hard I just dont figure they are loud at all. the 480gtx got louder by default than these.

---

I always enjoy the retort from one company to another its almost guaranteed that Nvidia will wait for AMD's new cards before releasing the 980ti (so they can OC them just a bit more and beat AMD).... and so it goes on back and fourth. But really it does not matter as the better one company can put pressure on another (especially with prices) it means faster and cheaper hardware for everyone.

The card was rushed. It's that simple, imo.

I just got my 970 which replaces my 760 which is going to power my second rig so yeah

think 970 will be a good placeholder until 16nm or Volta and the AMD equivalent comes up ;)

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

Then it didn't do such a bad job for a rushed card. Even with rushed cards AMD holded the ground with just two flagships... while NVIDIA released a bunch of GeForce high ends.

Wouldn't that require some form of collusion?

Cooperation, not collusion. The former involves a corporate partnership/agreement. The latter implies an attempt to be anti-competitive by cutting out a competitor, but AMD could do exactly the same thing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Then it didn't do such a bad job for a rushed card. Even with rushed cards AMD holded the ground with just two flagships... while NVIDIA released a bunch of GeForce high ends.

The card was not rushed. The cooler design was, Even then Its doing what it needs to do (keep it under 95c) when the fan kicks in it does an ample job of keeping it under that target temp (and imo its not loud at all) Its just that people fanny about with custom fan profiles to keep it (in there mind) at a low temp meaning the fan has to spin faster than it is suppose to by design = lots of sound!, When really the cooler was not designed for such temps.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

The card was not rushed. The cooler design was, Even then Its doing what it needs to do (keep it under 95c) when the fan kicks in it does an ample job of keeping it under that target temp (and imo its not loud at all) Its just that people fanny about with custom fan profiles to keep it (in there mind) at a low temp meaning the fan has to spin faster than it is suppose to by design = lots of sound!, When really the cooler was not designed for such temps.

I know that - I was just giving the benefit of the doubt to @Techhog, and still if the cards were rushed (wich obviously weren't... in fact it's one of the most complete cards in the market when it comes to features) they were very good cards that holded with like what, 4 or 5?high end flagships from NVIDIA. So they were at least very well balanced, and still managed to be the best at price/performance - IF they were rushed, they were amazing.

Now imagine if the R 300 are not rushed, what will be delivered :)

I don't give a s*it, I just bought an R9 290  B)

Can't wait to see what AMD has to offer.....

Nobody asked you.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Looks like amd is expecting to beat the 980 with their mid teir 280x

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB