civ 5 advice

themaniac

so i'm just getting back into civ 5 and i was wondering if you guys have any advice if my mind is right i remember playing on the prince difficulty once but could never even take a city even if i had more units and was more advanced but i will be playing on warlord (i think difficulty 3 is warlord) i have already started a game as germany on type earth and size huge and no barbarians so do you guys have any advice

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

if nothing else go watch youtube, because civ 5 is quite easy aslong as you dont totally mess up your start.

1 build scout to get more ruins

2 build monument unless you will be getting it from social stuff

3 profit

for starters i picked this playlist, he has many others and is a great youtuber i watch often https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u00fpdhsL8o&list=PLs3acGYgI1-tmg2hGAu3AkRLzH2-TKPaJ

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

if nothing else go watch youtube, because civ 5 is quite easy aslong as you dont totally mess up your start.

3 profit

for starters i picked this playlist, he has many others and is a great youtuber i watch often 

ok thanks i can give you a download of my current game if you want i believe i'm only at turn 100

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 profit

for starters i picked this playlist, he has many others and is a great youtuber i watch often 

Unless you try for Immortal/Deity. :P

As for OP, my strat is to start off with techs like mining and building wonders like Great Library and Hanging Gardens at start. Getting free tech and extra food in the capital is always good. After this, start expanding and focus on libraries and universities to build up science. For easy mode in taking over another civ's city, jump to artillery if land based warfare, battleships if by sea. These units cause cities to get rekt. It's going to be a while till you get those so if you war early enough, you can get by with trebuchets/frigates. Spam those to weaken a city and then use a siege unit for capture.

If you aren't able to take a city even if you are ahead then you should try another unit composition or be more importantly be more patient. I remember fighting a war for around 50-70 turns until I was able to take the first city from my enemy (this was however on immortal).

Usually you need around 3 siege units and a number of range and melee units depending on the military of your target. If you don't have better units than your opponent, then you should rely more on range units, which make it easier to kill his troops.

You can bribe other civs to go to war with each other via the trade screen, so they won't attack you or the civ you are fighting against has to defend against two armies.

Tradition is the best policy tree in most situations.

If you want to be really ahead in science: get the national college around turn 100, b-line for the technologies education and scientific theory, go for rationalism.

This way your military is far superior and you can destroy the other civs in war. Just don't ignore military early on in case somebody attacks you.