Z87 with a i7-4790K?

Should I get a 4970K with the Z87 motherboard or should I just get a 4770K? No, I can't change the motherboard because it's the only motherboard for my specific setup. Here's a link to what I have planned; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KZk2jX . A lot has changed with my idea of an upgrade, and I just watched on of JaysTwoCents's videos and he talked about how it was a hassle to get a 4790k with a z87 motherboard and now that has me a little worried.

Just flash the BIOS from a USB drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you'll need a bios update and even then it still might not work perfectly

Why is Z87 the only thing you can go for?

There's some good mATX Z97 boards (unless budget is your issue)

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

you'll need a bios update and even then it still might not work perfectly

Why is Z87 the only thing you can go for?

There's some good mATX Z97 boards (unless budget is your issue)

It has to do with the PCIe x16 slots, I need the very top and very bottom to run at x8 in SLI and it's the only motherboard to do so.

It has to do with the PCIe x16 slots, I need the very top and very bottom to run at x8 in SLI and it's the only motherboard to do so.

Isn't there a z97 version of your mobo? 

Otherwise I'll save a couple bugs and go for a non-k version of your processor.

Isn't there a z97 version of your mobo? 

Otherwise I'll save a couple bugs and go for a non-k version of your processor.

No there isn't. And I want to keep the K because I want to overclock.

Get this mobo instead http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97mxgaming5 same formfactor and fits the Red/Black TwinFrozrs way better than the green G1

Read ^^^

Then you need to something with the bios, but I don't have experience with it. So can't give any advice on that.

Good luck :)

I'll try. lol

Read ^^^

Assuming you wanna place the 2nd gpu in slot 3 because of temps and whatnot - it wont make a big difference. But if you wanna get a last gen haswell cpu, put it in your Z87 mobo, flash update the new bios and then put in the 4970K... go for it . Too much hastle imo

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Assuming you wanna place the 2nd gpu in slot 3 because of temps and whatnot - it wont make a big difference. But if you wanna get a last gen haswell cpu, put it in your Z87 mobo, flash update the new bios and then put in the 4970K... go for it . Too much hastle imo

I want the second card on the very bottom because I have a capture card that needs to go in there, lol. I'm not too worried about temps.

I want the second card on the very bottom because I have a capture card that needs to go in there, lol. I'm not too worried about temps.

ohhh ok. thats unfortunate... youre gonna have to somehow figure out the update then i guess GL :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W