4690k or amd alternative?

Skreedles

Sort of kicking a dead horse here.

But try and stick with me.

For gaming and video editing should I go with a 4690k or amd alternative in the same price range?

If you're going to be doing video editing/streaming, the amd would be the slight favorite. Strictly gaming, the i5 takes the cake.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I agree. For the price of a 4690k you can easily get the FX 8350 which is a great CPU for multithreaded applications associated with editing/rendering etc. Intel still gets the biggest slice of the gaming cake for almost every price bracket. AMD is still great for gaming but you will lose a few frames in certain games compared to Intel. 

Remember AMD is also spec'ed to run hotter and use more power relative to the 4690k. 

How much editing? If you primarily use it for editing then the 8350 will serve you well. 

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I'll be doing more gaming than editing and I want my gaming as fluid as possible also I will have a 970 gpu and will sli later.

I'll be doing more gaming than editing and I want my gaming as fluid as possible also I will have a 970 gpu and will sli later.

Definitely get the I5. No doubt about it.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

For gaming as primary, than the 4690k

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Then I would say Intel. If it mainly gaming and you want all the frames and fluidity you can get then Intel almost always comes out in front. The i5-4690k is the current cherry pick for gamers as it is the top tier before you begin to get a diminishing rate of gaming performance increase, relative to the price.

Go with the 4690k.

Good luck with your upgrade/build mate!

If it's mainly gaming, and some video editing and streaming, Intel. If its vice versa, AMD. It's nice to see Intel fanboys saying AMD (me)

Check Intel Xeon 1230v3 it's the same as Core i7 4770 but without integrated GPU and frequency lowered by 200 MHz and it's cheaper.

Check Intel Xeon 1230v3 it's the same as Core i7 4770 but without integrated GPU and frequency lowered by 200 MHz and it's cheaper.

The Xeon E3 1231v3 costs the same as the 1230v3 (actually a dollar less) but is 100 MHz faster.

Sort of kicking a dead horse here.

But try and stick with me.

For gaming and video editing should I go with a 4690k or amd alternative in the same price range?

This will serve you well...this CPU is the same as a locked i7 without integrated graphics which you don't need anyways...

this board is SLI ready so you can run two GTX 970...

this CPU as hyper-threading so it's very fast at rendering and editing and it will help a ton for streaming as well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($247.94 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $362.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-28 10:27 EDT-0400

If you can deal with a blue colored build, this motherboard is better and cost the SAME, also support SLI:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g55sli

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I will be doing a lot more gaming than video editing, video editing will only be a hobby. Not my job.

AMD FX Series FX-9590 is on sale right now. But I don't know much about it.

If it's mainly gaming, and some video editing and streaming, Intel. If its vice versa, AMD. It's nice to see Intel fanboys saying AMD (me)

How much editing? If you primarily use it for editing then the 8350 will serve you well.

The FX-9590 is good for video editing but not so good for gaming. A Core i7 or Xeon will keep up with it in video editing but outperform it in gaming, while drawing much less power and requiring a lot less cooling.

AMD FX Series FX-9590 is on sale right now. But I don't know much about it.

For a 9590 you can get a 4790k.. Cheapest board that support 9590's are 150$ at least and you need a 100$ cooler so no they're even a worse value than 4670K's/4790k's. In gaming they still perform worse than i5 4670k at stock but faster at renderig but a 4790k is at stock even faster at rendering than a 9590.

Get AMD. Not because it's better, but AMD needs the money to actually release new CPUs

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Intel is more known. And i personally understand their names more than AMD. I'm pretty sure Intel is better. But not sure though, its only my opinion.

Awesome site where you can get games cheap https://www.g2a.com/r/swagowicz

Get AMD. Not because it's better, but AMD needs the money to actually release new CPUs

I wanna change my answer to this^

Better market competition!

I don't want to see Intel become another "Microsoft" (emphasis on soft) style behemoth. They have been riding their unopposed laurels too long to make decent products anymore. You know when a company has gone soft when their product releases are exactly the same (or even slightly nerfed) with a ".1" after the name... lol. 

I don't want to see Intel become another "Microsoft" (emphasis on soft) style behemoth. They have been riding their unopposed laurels too long to make decent products anymore. You know when a company has gone soft when their product releases are exactly the same (or even slightly nerfed) with a ".1" after the name... lol.

That's because AMD still can't catch up...

We need to stop buying AMD.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

That's because AMD still can't catch up...

We need to stop buying AMD.

I think you may have missed my point...  ;)

Time will tell and Intel does not yet have nearly enough of a lead on AMD to relax just yet. However consumers are the biggest losers when they goosestep behind one big manufacturer. For example all of the new releases from apple were designed years ago before S Jobs died. I would bet that Nvidia has been sitting on the 900 series for quite a while too. Perfectly timed releases to maximize profits and minimize consumer awareness. 

... Bloody hell, I'm really jaded huh! This crazy world...  :P