Apple iPhone 6+ Bending Explained

dizmo

There's been a lot of talk about the whole Apple iPhone 6+ bending and such, so I figured I'd post it here where more people will read it.

Feel free to move it if you think it belongs in the Mobile section :)

MKBHD recently did a video and it stated why the iPhone lacks some strength.

It's actually pretty simple. Other phones have a magnesium chassis on the inside, the iPhone 6+ for whatever reason, does not.

The unibody design also plays a part in damage.

Well, that should about settle it. Sounds like it was just a poor design decision from Apple.

Regardless, if you're careful with it, I'm sure the 6+ will be perfectly fine. Just don't go applying all the force you can muster into the middle of it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Thanks for posting this, helps clear up some of the misinformation.

With that, I am disappointed in the design fault here, but also suprised Apple overlooked something this severe. Still, past that, it is a good device.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The truth is I lift too much and never skip leg day, so my trunks can bend pretty much anything without trying.

#sorrynotsorry

Yo fuck that everyday is bicep day

pleb

With that, I am disappointed in the design fault here, but also suprised Apple overlooked something this severe. Still, past that, it is a good device.

Exactly this. 

While this isn't as data ridden as I would prefer (I want force tests across many devices from many brands to determine a baseline of sorts and what is or isn't acceptable) this is far better than the knee jerk responses from both sides and all those "for the sake of science" videos that don't explain anything and do it in poor ways.

You and I both know this won't derail any love/hate train. People will love or hate regardless, cause critical thinking is clearly overrated around these parts. 

someone needs to actually test how many pounds of force is needed to bend it, so far they have done by hand with a little struggle. if it is over a few pounds of force it should be fine for average use

Exactly this. 

While this isn't as data ridden as I would prefer (I want force tests across many devices from many brands to determine a baseline of sorts and what is or isn't acceptable) this is far better than the knee jerk responses from both sides and all those "for the sake of science" videos that don't explain anything and do it in poor ways.

You and I both know this won't derail any love/hate train. People will love or hate regardless, cause critical thinking is clearly overrated around these parts. 

Yeah, if anything this will fuel the love/hate train. Critical thinking is lacking, but at least we can say that we have it. I feel like Lew helped push this a bit more forward, which at the least is good that a biased troll didn't do so. I do want to see more conclusive tests, but it's a start.

someone needs to actually test how many pounds of force is needed to bend it, so far they have done by hand with a little struggle. if it is over a few pounds of force it should be fine for average use

You two think alike, I see? :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

And people need to realize what these forces are in layman's terms. 

If I need to "put my arms into it" to bend it, then I deserve it breaking cause holy crap, thats a new level of stupidity. 

If it happens when you have tight pants and above mid grade legs? Thats a real problem. 

I'm pretty sure Apple put it through a series of tests like that before they released it. I imagine they came to the conclusion that the thickness it managed to save them, and perhaps weight was worth the trade off of having to replace x number of devices due to structural failure.

As is shown with their massive initial sales, they've already made their money. Even if they had to replace each phone once, they're still making more than some other companies phones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm pretty sure Apple put it through a series of tests like that before they released it. I imagine they came to the conclusion that the thickness it managed to save them, and perhaps weight was worth the trade off of having to replace x number of devices due to structural failure.

This. This this this. 

Apple might make stupid moves, but they aren't morons. If these two phones passed the torture tests they engage on in development, and passed under a margin of error, then good on Apple. 

We still don't have enough of those pesky facts to know the concrete truth, and hell we might never get enough facts. 

the issus isnt how much force to break it in one go, the issue is how will it stand up to lots of small flexs in your pocket as you stand up and sit down etc

I want more tests to be done with phones in normal jeans pocket in everyday uses. How easy will it bend when doing things like bending your body over your legs to pick something up when sitting in a chair? (A fairly common situation).

Why did they skip the magnesium chasi? Seems like almost all other phone models has it!

I'm still running on my core i7-920

@Motherboard: GA-EX58-UD3R @GPU: GTX 560 @Memory: 16GB1600C9 @Storage: X25-M 80GB & 330 120GB * Caviar Green 2TB @Screen: Acer H223HQ

@Case: Antec P180B -EU * Jou Jye 480AUBA * 2x NF-S12A FLX @Peripherals: CM Storm QuickFire TK Blue - Rearranged Svorak * MX518 @Sound: Beresford TC-7520 DAC * ATH-M40 fs

The big thing I want is a video of someone actually getting it to bend in their front pants pocket. It's easy to claim it bent while in your front pocket, it's another to prove thats how it happened.

The unibody design is not the problem, it is the cheap low grade alloy that they used for the frame that is the problem.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Also, I don't place my phone flat on my leg. It falls to the side. Does that help or hinder? How have other people been using their phones? Flat position or off to the side of the thigh? That matters too. 

Things are still way too open to interpretation for my liking. Standardizing these "tests" would go a long ways in making a more firm point on how bad the issue is/could be. 

I think the issue everyone had was that so early after release these reports suggest a lack of structural integrity, and that over time this iphone 6 plus would therefore be more susceptible to issues such as bending.

From what I can see, apple didn't put enough effort in testing this device separately for it's larger size, and the design seems to be very much a copy paste.

All that's left is to see what other similar devices suffer the same fate, of which there aren't many.

One thing to consider is that a major reason people buy apple products is because of the 'premium build'. Not great.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

It makes the phone thinner and cheaper to produce. Simple explanation. I can't stand the way that Apple cuts corners on anything that can't be used as a selling point to the masses...

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed in the 6S Plus.

It makes the phone thinner and cheaper to produce. Simple explanation. I can't stand the way that Apple cuts corners on anything that can't be used as a selling point to the masses...

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fixed in the 6S Plus.

People often thought that the S stood for "speed". 

It really stands for "stable". 

This. This this this. 

Apple might make stupid moves, but they aren't morons. If these two phones passed the torture tests they engage on in development, and passed under a margin of error, then good on Apple. 

We still don't have enough of those pesky facts to know the concrete truth, and hell we might never get enough facts. 

I don't think we'll ever know those facts. Some things are best kept secret.

The big thing I want is a video of someone actually getting it to bend in their front pants pocket. It's easy to claim it bent while in your front pocket, it's another to prove thats how it happened.

Haha, yeah. No one would believe them though, I'm betting.

The unibody design is not the problem, it is the cheap low grade alloy that they used for the frame that is the problem.

MKBHD mentioned it. Something about the entire unibody having to take the force of impact while on other phones with separate backs, it's spread over multiple pieces.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I want more tests to be done with phones in normal jeans pocket in everyday uses. How easy will it bend when doing things like bending your body over your legs to pick something up when sitting in a chair? (A fairly common situation).

Why did they skip the magnesium chasi? Seems like almost all other phone models has it!

Had my iPhone 4 since its launch in Ireland, went through powerlifting, running, and everyday life with it in my pocket. Never had an issue, it's now my mother's phone and still no issue.

Nearly 3 years of use. If the 6 bends using normal use then it's an issue. Purposely trying to bend it and succeeding doesn't make it weak. Get someone stronger than MKBHD and they'll sure as hell be able to bend any of those phone with their bare hands.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I don't think it's acceptable to be honest. My HTC One S is barely thicker than the iPhone (7.4mm), and I struggled to bend it at all even with a lot of force.

From a business standpoint, sure, it might be worth it for Apple, but it damages the reputation of the iPhone a little.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

People often thought that the S stood for "speed". 

It really stands for "stable". 

I always thought it stood for Stupid, as in stupid that you bought the x, and then stood in line and paid the huge sum of money again for the xS, which is basically the same thing with ever so slight changes.

Most of which are software based.

Stable make sense too though ;)

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler