Graphics card manufcatures are cheaping out...

GoodBytes

So this sucks big time.

Nvidia released the GeForce 900 series, and it is undoubtedly awesome. I want one.

Sadly, I have noticed that no manufacture uses the reference design metal body heatsink of Nvidia for the GTX 970 model, only the GTX 980 because Nvidia makes it for them, and opt instead using their shitty inferior solution instead to maximize profits. Not to mention that the cost of the 970 is supposed to be 330$ U.S, and it is sold way over that amount (in the U.S, despite using their own cheaper heatsink solution)

But GoodBytes! Mine is super quiet! Check reviews! It is not all that bad.

Yes it is. I don't upgrade my graphics card every year. And, my experience, even GPUs from work (and there is big collection of them as our software solution runs on Nvidia GPU only, and we need high performance) they all get noisy over several years of usage, and also, due to the design which just release the heat of the GPU within the case, it prevents me from having an ultra quiet computer (eg: I don't know if its on or off, by the sound the system makes.. all air cooled.. well at idle of course). However, reference design never had a durability problem. They might be a bit louder, and a makes the GPU a bit warmer, but it is solid, and I don't do extreme overclocking.

So, now I am seriously concerned if I should buy any new graphics card at all, and simply stick with my trusty GeForce GTX 260. Why I am concern? Because from what I can see, if they cheap out on the cooler, they most likely cheaped out everywhere else as well.

FYI, everything is more expensive in Canada.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

One word:

Europe.

Actually...I think the UK is even more expensive.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

FYI, it is more than the MSRP in the U.S. And as mentioned, I don't mind paying more, if I have a quality heatsink/fan solution (the reference design one)

To be honest, there's less demand. The Gigabyte Windforce, MSI Twin Frozr and ASUS STRIX cards are all high-quality cards, as is EVGA's ACX 2.0 and their reference (even if it is plastic, EVGA wouldn't fuck up so bad as to make an unreliable hunk of junk.) I get the concerns, but a magnesium reference card would cost $30-$70 more than the standard card, as was with EVGA's magnesium GTX 770.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I watched a video of the GTX 980 for noise, and it was less than 35 decibels under load. And it really wasn't that warm (lower than 75C, as far as I remember). I'll try to dig up the video.

EDIT: It was just over 35 decibels, and just over 75C.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

FYI, it is more than the MSRP in the U.S. And as mentioned, I don't mind paying more, if I have a quality heatsink/fan solution (the reference design one)

It's probably gotta do with inflation and crap, I'm pretty sure it's kinda the same thing in Australia, just way worse.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

One word:

Europe.

Actually...I think the UK is even more expensive.

Australia?

Australia?

Does Australia has 30-50% more on everything?

But yeah,pretty much the entire world is more expensive than the US.(at tech stuff that is)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Does Australia has 30-50% more on everything?

But yeah,pretty much the entire world is more expensive than the US.(at tech stuff that is)

Yeah. Which sucks.

I watched a video of the GTX 980 for noise, and it was less than 35 decibels under load. And it really wasn't that warm (lower than 75C, as far as I remember). I'll try to dig up the video.

That sounds like my GPU idling.

Woah.

OP said he didn't care if it was quiet or loud, because overtime the bearings go out on the fans or whatever else might happen and they all get louder.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

*snipped video*

its+_71068304511da5b57b5f4122812fcdbf.gi

Yeah i'm searching for days for the nice looking gtx 970 ref. But I can't find it and that sucks so I just save some extra bucks and buy a 980.

Yeah i'm searching for days for the nice looking gtx 970 ref. But I can't find it and that sucks so I just save some extra bucks and buy a 980.

They will come out with reference 970 cards. They are just trying to milk it with the more expensive non reference cards that are not really better than nvidia reference cards.

At the office we have the a GeForce 780 ref design (although the body is in plastic painted silver, not actual metal like the Titan series (not sure about the 780 Ti). It is actually surprisingly quieter than the video. You basically don't hear that small rattling noise on the back. I guess it is just his fan, or the PSU fan that does it or a capacitor on the motherboard or something.

They will come out with reference 970 cards. They are just trying to milk it with the more expensive non reference cards that are not really better than nvidia reference cards.

I really hope you are right. :D

But when? I've had not seen one yet...

Good aftermarket coolers aren't cheap or low quality. I don't know where you got that idea. 

BUT, the reference nvidia cooler is more expensive to manufacture

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I really hope you are right. :D

I am right. I guarantee that there are warehouses across North America that are stocked full of Reference GTX 970 cards.

But when? I've had not seen one yet...

I would speculate that they will be in stores and online by months end.

Oh. Never knew this. Always thought the custom solutions were always better than the reference. Is it just for this card or same for previous cards as well?

Built: i7 4790k @ 4.6 (1.29v), MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio, Asus Z97-Pro(Wifi), EVGA Supernova G2 750W, 16gb @ 2400mhz OC, CM Hyper 212 EVO, Crucial MX100 256gb, WD Black 2TB+2TB, Logitech G105, G502, Z623,  Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS G-Sync, NZXT H440(Red/Black)

Oh. Never knew this. Always thought the custom solutions were always better than the reference. Is it just for this card or same for previous cards as well?

Ok, not to be bias. At work or personally or family member didn't try every single solutions of graphics cards that exists from all manufactures.

It is just a correlation that I am seeing, and I prefer, at a personal level, not to take the chance, as, a student, I don't have the funds to go out an buy a new GPU every 2 years or so.

OP said he didn't care if it was quiet or loud, because overtime the bearings go out on the fans or whatever else might happen and they all get louder.

Look at that guy's GTX 680 test. Dear god that fucker is loud (that rattly sound, I guess).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)