FAKE LINUSTECHTIPS YOUTUBE MEASSAGE TAKE WARNING!

zxcvbnmmssdh

I just got one myself.

XILtXvf.png

After having won a 4k monitor from nVidia Friday I just figured my luck was shooting through the roof. Poop :(

lol on his google+ page his first name is Linus and his last name is TechTips

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

I think it's kinda silly to believe that a tech community as big as the LTT community would be a good target for one of these scams. If you think about it, we are all well informed about these types of security risks and won't click on random links that someone sends to us without verifying it's authenticity. (That is, unless the person is really drunk, or really excited and can't help themselves).

I can, however, understand how one would be easy to fool in a situation like this in which one is messaged by a famous YouTuber.

I don't think that this person is a long term subscriber (has been subscribed for a long time and genuinely finds the content useful). No one in the LTT community would be that low as to scam other members. I have not recieved a message yet, I will post here if I do later. I hope nobody has actually been scammed.

Good luck, I hope this impostor gets caught soon.

-thetrueagle-

I got the email too. I thought it was a little fishy when I couldn't click on the URL in the email and then when I went to the URL it said I had to fill out a survey. Needless to say I exited out of that and came here to the forums.

I got a message from from fake LinusTechTips youtube channel. It will come up as this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUebATQGEQnK-gR-RpmFVw?feature=em-message_received and reads as Linus TechTips. I was just wondering if anyone else got this and to warn others. It informs you that you have supposedly won a giveaway. It sends you a link that I didn't click on, but most likely either takes your info or puts a virus on your computer. I hope no one has to figure out what is at that link

@LinusTech you are needed for reports

I got this same email!!!! I just made another topic and saw yours...

I was prety sure i won nothing since i was nither active nor entered any giveaways they might have had.

I got it, I clicked on the link and it wants you to complete a survey.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

lol on his google+ page his first name is Linus and his last name is TechTips

You realise that's his real name, right?

Linus Techtips.

he's youtube channel appearance is awful compared to Linus's official one haha 

Just in case anyone did click through and is worried about viruses, I wouldn't worry too much.

These kind of scams are more focused on money than harm. Whoever created this has done it for affiliate cash from the survey, and probably from adware programmed or toolbars as well.

If you did download anything and don't want to look like a noob for admitting it, programmed like adaware or malwarebytes will get rid of them easily.

Theres over 1000 people on this topic right now? wow.

It's because this community completely supports Linus. :)

@LinusTech

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Guys Linus is probably resting from Mod24, off with his family maybe to a theme park or asleep at his home. he needs rest. check back tomorrow

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

It drives me crazy that I can't report that guy. Only LTT can.

Intel Core i7 7700k | Asus GTX 1080 ti Strix | Asus ROG Strix Z270F | 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 | 650W EVGA Supernova Plat | Corsair Crystal 460X | 4TB WD-B

Acer Predator X34P | Acer CB241HY | Logitech G513 | Logitech G903 & Powerplay | MMX300 Headpohnes | FiiO DAC-E10 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2

My System on imgur

@IdortMasterRace, when I first looked at your username I thought it read "IdiotMasterRace" :lol: :D. Then I realised that it actually read "IdortMasterRace". My bad :D. Which then leads me to my question, what is Idort?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Kinda stupid to scam a community, with people that knows what to belive and not to belive on the internet. But hey, it's nice to see people are reporting it as it happens. Let's hope that nobody got scammed by the faker.

CPU: Intel i5-2500K - Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 16GB - GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - Keyboard: Logitech G710+ - Mouse: Logitech Performance MX - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 500GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Green 1TB

Yeah, on Twitter, both Linus and Luke warned people.

Damn I thought I won...

z3iH3Uv.jpg

Because "CLICK HERE 2 CLAIM UR PRIZE" doesn't seem suspicious....

I think it's kinda silly to believe that a tech community as big as the LTT community would be a good target for one of these scams. If you think about it, we are all well informed about these types of security risks and won't click on random links that someone sends to us without verifying it's authenticity. (That is, unless the person is really drunk, or really excited and can't help themselves).

Well it seems to have nearly caught a couple of folks out judging by posts here.

Seriously though guys stop for one moment and think why would linus need you to complete an offer to redeem your prize.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

@Legion I agree, people should also check for the account verification sign, that little tick next to a verified channel is there for a reason. One should use precaution before clicking a link. It is possible to get caught off guard though.

I myself have almost clicked on a link without thinking. Someone gained unauthorised access to one of my friend's Twitter account and posted a link to (supposedly) Instagram (bit.ly link). The initial tweet was followed by several notifications from other friends warning not to click it. Had the others not warned me about it, I would have clicked it and also lost access to my Twitter account.

Don't follow bit.ly links, Linus should use regular links, even then, you should hover your mouse over the link and look in the bottom left corner on your browser window to see where the link actually leads to.