After reading 970 reviews I still want a 290.

I'm waiting for more GTX 970 reviews from sites I trust like anandtech and hardwarecanucks but after looking around I've come to the conclusion that I still want an R9 290.

The 290 seems to have more overclocking headroom on the core and especially on the memory thanks to the sexy 512bit buss. I compared 290 reviews with 970 reviews and overclocked 290s even with the older drivers consistently beat the overclocked 970s.
The GTX 970 is very cool but I don't see myself dropping 500$ on a g-sync monitor to go with it. Would rather get a freesync monitor instead. GTA V is also going to support Mantle according to various sites.
Unreal engine 3 games in general really seem to favor Nvidia and a lot of review sites seem to benchmark unreal 3 games which I feel is a bit stupid considering all future Unreal games will use the Unreal 4 engine.
Right now just waiting for AMD to cut prices. I'm eyeing the 290 vapor-x, such a sexy card.

No problem with that, but to be honest the 970 has around 780 ti performance at stock. Once it's overclocked it will be a beast. The 290 doesn't overclock much compared to this. And if you really just prefer AMD I would try to wait for the r9 390 or 390x or whatever comes out. :)

THANK GOD SOMEONE FINALLY NOT FREAKING OUT OVER THE 900 SERIES 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Well in 1080p the larger memory buss won't really show much benefit. The 970 is cheaper as of right now although I definitely see AMD cutting prices to compete.
970 SLI would be easier to manage than 290 CrossfireX as well because of the lower power and heat. Your other arguments still stand though.

finaly someone who gets that powerconsumption really doesnt matter that much

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

More overclocking headroom? True yes but only relatively because the cards are already clocked really high. Especially on the memory? They got it to 8GHz, if you don't think that is fast enough then you need to adjust your standards :P.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I'm waiting for more GTX 970 reviews from sites I trust like anandtech and hardwarecanucks but after looking around I've come to the conclusion that I still want an R9 290.

The 290 seems to have more overclocking headroom on the core and especially on the memory thanks to the sexy 512bit buss. I compared 290 reviews with 970 reviews and overclocked 290s even with the older drivers consistently beat the overclocked 970s.

The GTX 970 is very cool but I don't see myself dropping 500$ on a g-sync monitor to go with it. Would rather get a freesync monitor instead. GTA V is also going to support Mantle according to various sites.

Unreal engine 3 games in general really seem to favor Nvidia and a lot of review sites seem to benchmark unreal 3 games which I feel is a bit stupid considering all future Unreal games will use the Unreal 4 engine.

Right now just waiting for AMD to cut prices. I'm eyeing the 290 vapor-x, such a sexy card.

But the 970 has much lower power consumption and I assume it's cooler. I saw a benchmark video of the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 from JayzTwoCents, and the 290 and the 970 were neck to neck. He said he was able to get his 970 a 200 MHz overclock! What makes you think FreeSync monitors are going to be cheaper though? But either one is good, Although I think the 970 is cheaper. However I'm sure AMD will cut prices to compete.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

the 970 has around 780 ti performance at stock

you're mixing up the 970 and 980, I think ;)

yea he is

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

The 980 is comparable to 780ti while the 970 is comparable to 780. 

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

Well it's somewhat close and it's alot cheaper. I don't think the 980 is worth it for me. :)

I'd agree with the notion that the 290 has more overclocking headroom but remember you'll need a good cooler to realize that overclocking potential.
If both cards were to cost the same I'd recommend the 970s in SLI over 290s in CrossfireX, less heat in your case means less noise and higher clock speeds unless we're talking water-cooling.

For a single card I'd consider both to be on-par depending on the game they'll trade blows.

BLp9sE0.jpg

MSqOdyM.jpg

CXbqQYG.jpg

78zGEye.jpg
http://www.bit-tech....x-970-review/12
http://www.bit-tech....r-x-oc-review/9

THANK GOD SOMEONE FINALLY NOT FREAKING OUT OVER THE 900 SERIES 

Bby I'm not freaking out either. Its sooo boring. Makes turtles more interesting. Just look at this cute thing.

r-TURTLE-large570.jpg

No problem with that, but to be honest the 970 has around 780 ti performance at stock.

That's the 980 ;) and it's almost twice the price lol.

@MetroP I hope the prices drop soon, so i can get my SECOND r9 290 :D so juicy!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

remember most early reviewers have been stuck in very early drivers. From the reviews and even random you tubers benching the 970's it seems unless you looks at pure FPS numbers a 290 is a good alternative. But once you factor in thing like the greatly less power draw, much lower heat & almost silent coolers. the 290 kind of looks like a dinosaur. Not to mention the 970 has some brand new DX12 tech and nvidia tech like the MFAA. But i will agree that sapphire vapor-x 290 is a stunner for looks. 

Here is a good video of MSI's semi-passive cooled 970. Passive right up to 60 degrees. 

But the 970 has much lower power consumption and I assume it's cooler. I saw a benchmark video of the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970 from JayzTwoCents, and the 290 and the 970 were neck to neck. He said he was able to get his 970 a 200 MHz overclock! What makes you think FreeSync monitors are going to be cheaper though? But either one is good, Although I think the 970 is cheaper. However I'm sure AMD will cut prices to compete.

I've been saying it 1000 times since yesterday, and I'll say it again. Power consumption IS NOT the holy grail of GPU development. The R9 290 consumes roughly 100W more than the 970, which sounds like a lot and really it is. However, the 290 still runs below 80°C with most coolers and dB levels aren't any higher than competing Nvidia cards. If you can deal with the extra heat output, which anybody with a decent case and good airflow should be able to, your using 100W = 0.1 kW more for lets say two hours a day. Thats 62 hours a month, = 6.2 kWh a month, assuming your in the US, where a kWh costs on average $0.12, thats $0.72 your paying extra on your monthly power bill for the R9 290. 

Assuming your not building inside a highly restrictive ITX case with no fans, power consumption should not be the main selling point for the 900 series. 

I've been saying it 1000 times since yesterday, and I'll say it again. Power consumption IS NOT the holy grail of GPU development. The R9 290 consumes roughly 100W more than the 970, which sounds like a lot and really it is. However, the 290 still runs below 80°C with most coolers and dB levels aren't any higher than competing Nvidia cards. If you can deal with the extra heat output, which anybody with a decent case and good airflow should be able to, your using 100W = 0.1 kW more for lets say two hours a day. Thats 62 hours a month, = 6.2 kWh a month, assuming your in the US, where a kWh costs on average $0.12, thats $0.72 your paying extra on your monthly power bill for the R9 290. 

Assuming your not building inside a highly restrictive ITX case with no fans, power consumption should not be the main selling point for the 900 series. 

Jeez, I know this is true, I don't care about power consumption nor noise (I use headphones) either, I just felt like it was a "feature" to point out because it may matter to some really picky people.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Jeez, I know this is true, I don't care about power consumption nor noise (I use headphones) either, I just felt like it was a "feature" to point out because it may matter to some really picky people.

No hard feelings, I'm just putting that out there because people won't stop freaking out over power efficiency of the 900 series  :)

remember most early reviewers have been stuck in very early drivers. From the reviews and even random you tubers benching the 970's it seems unless you looks at pure FPS numbers a 290 is a good alternative. But once you factor in thing like the greatly less power draw, much lower heat & almost silent coolers. the 290 kind of looks like a dinosaur. Not to mention the 970 has some brand new DX12 tech and nvidia tech like the MFAA. But i will agree that sapphire vapor-x 290 is a stunner for looks. 

Here is a good video of MSI's semi-passive cooled 970. Passive right up to 60 degrees.

Most of the new DX features introduced were actually supposed to allow Nvidia to catch up to AMD in terms of feature parity.

This extended feature set also extends to Direct3D 11.2, which although it doesn’t have an official feature level of its own, does introduce some new (and otherwise optional) features that are accessed via cap bits. Key among these, Maxwell 2 will support the more advanced Tier 2 tiled resources, otherwise known as sparse textures or partially resident textures. Tier 2 was introduced into the specification to differentiate the more capable AMD implementation of this feature from NVIDIA’s hardware, and now as of Maxwell 2 NVIDIA can support the more advanced functionality required for Tier 2.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/4