I need your help. My 4790K is running hot.

ED-E

Hello everyone.

Have I just finished my new rig (Gigabyte Gaming GT and i7-4790K)

The problem is that when I check in the BIOS the CPU is set to 4.4 GHZ, 1.356 volt and running at 59-60 degrees Celsius. I got suspicious while gaming because the CPU fan (Intel stock) got insanely noisy. I then opened my hardware monitor and sure enough, 3200 RPM and 82 degrees Celsius. I haven't tweaked any settings. I just installed windows and drivers yesterday.

If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe lower the voltage?

Or get an aftermarket heatsink

A 212 Evo will do wonders. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

So you are wondering why your CPU is hot with a stock cooler? Gee I dunno what could be causing it  :rolleyes:

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

For the love of god, please do not try and overclock that on the stock cooler. I know you haven't, and you even mentioned that, but I just wanted to stress that...

For the temperature issue, you need to purchase an aftermarket cooler most likely. The bios is reading safe temperatures because that's at idle, when it's just booting and nothing intensive is really running. When you launch into a game, you're putting a high load onto the CPU causing it's temperature to increase.

You have a great CPU, you just need a new cooler. 

Probably the fan/heatsink. Intel's default one is just not that good. ~80ºC is about the highest temp yu want  your CPU to run at, you should get a cheap heatsink. An 212 from COoler Master will do fine, but if you've got th money and space in the case go for an Noctua one.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

You're insane running voltages and clock speeds that high with a stock cooler!  Get an aftermarket cooler, the Hyper 212 Evo is great if you don't want to spend much.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

Hello everyone.

Have I just finished my new rig (Gigabyte Gaming GT and i7-4790K)

The problem is that when I check in the BIOS the CPU is set to 4.4 GHZ, 1.356 volt and running at 59-60 degrees Celsius. I got suspicious while gaming because the CPU fan (Intel stock) got insanely noisy. I then opened my hardware monitor and sure enough, 3200 RPM and 82 degrees Celsius. I haven't tweaked any settings. I just installed windows and drivers yesterday.

If anyone can help me fix this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

get an aftermarket cooler 

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

OK so first off, you've got a 4790K running at 1.35V with a stock cooler on it?!

brian-griffin-jaw-drop-o.gif

and you're only at 82°C? you should be above 100°C within seconds. You must have accidentally activated an OC-preset in the BIOS, some motherboards have features like that. Make sure you set the CPU to stock voltage and clock, otherwise it will die a firey death within hours.

Btw, what is a "Gigabyte Gaming GT"? what type of GPU are you running?

Yeah, Im waiting for the Fractal Design S36 to be released, but in the meantime I would think that the stock cooler should be able to do the job provided I don't overclock it, right?

Im coming from an 3770K with a stock cooler, and that never had any issues with heat or noise. 1.356 volt just seems very high for stock settings.

The gaming motherboard knows it's unlocked and turbo clocks the CPU. It expects a gaming system to have an aftermarket cooler.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

My GPU is a GTX 780. The Gigabyte Gaming GT is my motherboard. And for those of you asking - I didnt know I was running it at 1.356 volt before I checked. Like I said, I havent changed any settings myself, which is why ive started this thread. I simply have no idea why its acting like this.

So you are wondering why your CPU is hot with a stock cooler? Gee I dunno what could be causing it  :rolleyes:

Stock is decent enough. Mine is not even running on 100% and keeps my CPU on a comfortable 60C during BF4.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Stock is decent enough. Mine is not even running on 100% and keeps my CPU on a comfortable 60C during BF4.

I can't speak from personal experience with a stock cooler, but when my friend plays BF4 on his 3570K with a stock cooler it can easily creep up to 70C and when rendering 80-90C

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

My GPU is a GTX 780. The Gigabyte Gaming GT is my motherboard. And for those of you asking - I didnt know I was running it at 1.356 volt before I checked. Like I said, I havent changed any settings myself, which is why ive started this thread. I simply have no idea why its acting like this.

Go into bios and reset everything to factory defaults. Then check.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I can only see the option for "set optimized defaults" which doesnt change anything. I realize that I need to undo what the motherboard seem to have done on its own, but I just have no idea what the trick is...

I can only see the option for "set optimized defaults" which doesnt change anything. I realize that I need to undo what the motherboard seem to have done on its own, but I just have no idea what the trick is...

Well, it should remove any overclock settings when you set it to defaults. Try disabling turbo, I don't see why that would increase voltage though.

I have used the "set default settings" but nothing has changed. still 1.356 volt and between 59-67 degrees while in BIOS. 

I need a savior! 

I have used the "set default settings" but nothing has changed. still 1.356 volt and between 59-67 degrees while in BIOS. 

I need a savior! 

Did you try disabling Turbo boost as I suggested? It's defaulted on the motherboard. But even so, I used a stock cooler and never had above 35 degrees idle OC'd. You can underclock the CPU yourself if you want.

Yes I did. Still the same problem though. I don't want to remove any features, I just don't want the voltage and heat so high, but there doesn't seem to be a way to set everything back to stock and undo whatever it is that is going on.

#OverclockingAni74790KWithTheStockCooler

I'm surprised it overclocked at all. I think you actually got a gem of a chip ;)

My build: tis be ordered

#OverclockingAni74790KWithTheStockCooler

I'm surprised it overclocked at all. I think you actually got a gem of a chip ;)

Can't tell if you're joking or not  <_<

But I can't figure out why it is auto-overclocket or how to change it back.

Surely some wiz out there knows what to do. 

Can't tell if you're joking or not  <_<

But I can't figure out why it is auto-overclocket or how to change it back.

Surely some wiz out there knows what to do. 

Oh I thought you overclocked it yourself. If your i7 actually survived, I genuinely think if you get a proper cooler it'll overclock extremely well. Anyways, I've researched that your particular motherboard has some kind of default Voltage and overclock setting in the BIOS. 1.356V is far too high, and so is 4.4 Ghz. Obviously, find the appropriate settings in the BIOS and lower the clock speed and the voltage speed. If you don't know how, here's a video that'll help you: 

It's not exactly the same model, but the BIOS should be similar overall. 

Hope this helps. 

My build: tis be ordered

Thank you for your help! Well, the chip is alive, so maybe you are right. Do you have any suggestion as to how low I should lower the voltage? I mean the clock speed should be 4.0 GHz as the chip is rated as Im guessing, but Im no that experienced wehn it comes to voltage changes.

Thank you for your help! Well, the chip is alive, so maybe you are right. Do you have any suggestion as to how low I should lower the voltage? I mean the clock speed should be 4.0 GHz as the chip is rated as Im guessing, but Im no that experienced wehn it comes to voltage changes.

Clock speed is right actually, it's 4.4Ghz with turbo. Voltage is too high and you can disable turbo and lower the voltage yourself. The video above probably shows you how to make such modifications.