How to set a internet cap on some programs in windows?

samosnik
Go to solution Solved by SlayerOfHellWyrm,

is there any way i can allow a program to only use a bit of my network speed?

i have 6 mbps Download and i wana download a game while still playing multiplayer. is there any way that this is possible?

Thanks

EDIT: it's on windows XP

Unless it's built into the program, there isn't any easy way. Typically there are external programs, that will simply close the ports of whatever program you want to stop working, but they can't limit speed most of the time, and on top of that, most are not available for XP.

I'd tell your friend to upgrade from XP, since it's no longer supported at all by Microsoft, so any issues, they're basically shit out of luck if anything happens and they can't find answers online.

i have 6 mbps Download and i wana download a game while still playing multiplayer. is there any way that this is possible?

Thanks

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Most programs like steam allow you to cap the download in the settings.

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

I don't limit my download speed at all when playing games (22 MB/s - 180Mbits) and I have no lag whatsoever when the download is taking just about everything

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Most programs like steam allow you to cap the download in the settings.

Yeah i know that but this program (Glyph) dosent have that option

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

I don't limit my download speed at all when playing games (22 MB/s - 180Mbits) and I have no lag whatsoever when the download is taking just about everything

Yes i know that i am asking for a friend i have 100MB/s download. And i never lag when i download. But before when i had 5MB/s I was lagging like crazy

Thanks

Unless it's built into the program, there isn't any easy way. Typically there are external programs, that will simply close the ports of whatever program you want to stop working, but they can't limit speed most of the time, and on top of that, most are not available for XP.

I'd tell your friend to upgrade from XP, since it's no longer supported at all by Microsoft, so any issues, they're basically shit out of luck if anything happens and they can't find answers online.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

Yes it's called net limiter. You can set the bits per second for each application and block specific ports or applications

But as said above best to start moving away from xp any way. Net limiter3 works on xp and 4 on win7 and above

Yes it's called net limiter. You can set the bits per second for each application and block specific ports or applications

But as said above best to start moving away from xp any way. Net limiter3 works on xp and 4 on win7 and above

Thanks!!!!

Yes i know that i am asking for a friend i have 100MB/s download. And i never lag when i download. But before when i had 5MB/s I was lagging like crazy

Just an FYI, you have 100 Mb/s not MB/s (this is a HUGE difference in speed).

MB = MegaByte

Mb (or mb) = Megabit

8 bits = 1 byte

Therefore your 100 Mbps (Megabits per second) connection is actually 12.5 MB/s (100 / 8)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)