September 19, 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

That spam at the end of the stream.. To all those involved, you should be ashamed of yourself.

That spam at the end of the stream.. To all those involved, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Ironic

2014 - EVGA 780 SC ACX | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | VGA248QE | Fractal Define r4

2015 - EVGA 980 | 4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X41 | Asus ProArt 1080p IPS | Fractal Define r4

2017 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 6600K | Strix z270e | Trident DDR4 3GHz 16GB | RM650 | NZXT X42 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair Crystal 460x

2021 - MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti | 5600X | Strix B550-F | Trident Neo DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | Dark Power Pro 12 1500W | EK AIO Basic 360 | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

2023 - Asus TUF 4090 | 5800X3D | Strix B550-F | Viper DDR4 3.6GHz 32GB | RM1000x | h150i 360 Elite LCD | LG OLED B9 | Dell U3415W | Corsair 5000D Airflow

I like how the show end's with a windows 8 charm sound.

i not sure the give away was thought through that well, no one is going to watch the 24h, at least not people with jobs or school.  

i know it was spammed allot at  the end in chat lots of possible key words.

kudos to the people who watched the whole thing, but you could tell it was a long slog by the zomie face of luke and linus.  the best telling moment right at the end where you could see the relief on there face that it was done but they were still live. 

overall it was a very intresting event, pc moding is allot of work done well

I can't believe we're at a time now where we're actually saying "I hope that developers will offload some tasks to the CPU" instead of the other way around, I think there are really exciting things coming in the future!

So when are the winners for 1mil guveaway being announced? He said the WAN show but they never said anything. Maybe next week? Seems like a long time.

Okaaaay...So who won?

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

I think that its a fair response from both parties using TOR. I see why agencies would assume that if your using Tor, then your being illegal, which there will be a decreasing number of people doing that. However the response from a person using Tor of which they would say that they dont want to be tracked by the NSA, well then there is a problem. I bet next they will probably try and shut down VPN's that are not used for companies or for people who do not have a policy surrounding using them. Its sad that they feel that way. But I guess finding more and more about these topics: knowing that they only provide a false sense of security is also very very easy to be cynical about. I bet they have cracked all of your "so called security things" but meh, there is probably not alot I or many people can do anything about.

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

Loved Luke's face when the lights went out  :lol:

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Also how did your batteries die? there had to be an outlet somewhere in that room.

No AC adaptor. 

Linus said so near the beginning when he said he had 45 minutes left.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

No AC adaptor. 

Linus said so near the beginning when he said he had 45 minutes left.

Lol as much camera equipment they had running that day, it just seems odd that they didn't have a single adapter.

I think that its a fair response from both parties using TOR. I see why agencies would assume that if your using Tor, then your being illegal, which there will be a decreasing number of people doing that. However the response from a person using Tor of which they would say that they dont want to be tracked by the NSA, well then there is a problem. I bet next they will probably try and shut down VPN's that are not used for companies or for people who do not have a policy surrounding using them. Its sad that they feel that way. But I guess finding more and more about these topics: knowing that they only provide a false sense of security is also very very easy to be cynical about. I bet they have cracked all of your "so called security things" but meh, there is probably not alot I or many people can do anything about.

TOR was developed by, and is still funded by, the US government, specifically for the purposes of being untraceable. They started it as a way for people in countries where the internet is heavily censored to be able to access anything they wanted on the internet. Not only that but their actions suggest an assumption of guilt, which is illegal in the US.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The thing about the Apple 'we can't see your data, so we can't hand it over' is that's what Lavabit tried to do.

And it didn't work out too well for them, now did it? And Lavabit was a small operation that didn't fear the government disrupting their business, while Apple has tens, hundreds of millions to potentially lose if they are served orders to stop operating parts of their business that are now not easy to data mine by the government.

If Apple kicks up the stink Lavabit did with their hundreds of billions behind it we might actually see some change. 

That's what I was thinking, all the government has to do is make what apple did illegal and bam, no dice, fix it or get shut down.

Maybe some day people will learn to stop giving governments so much fucking power, they already do what they want come hell or high water, all they have to do is wait a week or 2 after people get mad, then do it secretly when no one is paying attention or something else is going on.

It doesn't have to be illegal. The NSA doesn't really operate inside the law, you see.

May I remind you which party in this country gave the NSA that power and which party still believes they should have it...AHEM.

TOR was developed by, and is still funded by, the US government, specifically for the purposes of being untraceable. They started it as a way for people in countries where the internet is heavily censored to be able to access anything they wanted on the internet. Not only that but their actions suggest an assumption of guilt, which is illegal in the US.

Right, assuming guilt is illegal, hence "innocent until proven guilty."

TOR is a harbinger of a different time, where we actually believed in the freedoms we expounded to the "godless communist heathens" over in the Soviet Bloc, before now, when we've realized that the Soviets actually had some great ideas when it came to oppressing your population into complacency.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

If Apple kicks up the stink Lavabit did with their hundreds of billions behind it we might actually see some change.

My point was that I don't see why Apple would run the risk of actually antagonizing anyone in power. Why would they 'kick up any stink' if that means risking loss of millions of dollars?

They have either assessed that the NSA will still have backdoors for getting the information on a large scale or arranged to give provide those backdoors for them.

Though Apple is fairly evil in their environment, I (hope) think they would be ready to fight the laws just to raise a giant middle finger to their some of their competitors, Google, for example, we love Google, yes, we do, but we also have to remember Google relies on Ads based on our data.

However, Apple may also have done it at first to see how it goes, if they succeed, yeah, all's cool, if they fail, at least they have the reason of "We tried", think about it, either way, they still make the good guys out of themselves however things turn out in this case, it's a very win-win, popularity-wise.

Of course, that's a very "evil" theory.

My point was that I don't see why Apple would run the risk of actually antagonizing anyone in power. Why would they 'kick up any stink' if that means risking loss of millions of dollars?

They have either assessed that the NSA will still have backdoors for getting the information on a large scale or arranged to give provide those backdoors for them.

I hope they're a better company than that, but I don't think they are.

Google is the one that's bent over every time for the NSA, but that's probably because they see a lot of themselves in the NSA ;)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /