U2414H vs VG248QE

Beyerk

Hi, I am shopping for a new monitor and I need some assistance deciding. I realize the U2414H and VG248QE are inherently different, but here are my reasons for wanting both:

Dell U2414H:

Color reproduction

Dat bezel

ASUS VG248QE:

Fast reponse time (1ms), 144hz

I REALLY like the Dell's slim bezel. I play CS:GO casually and that's why I thought the ASUS may be a better option, but I also watch a lot of TV and movies. Would I notice a great different between the color and look of these? I don't do any professional image work. And also, when playing an FPS like CS:GO, will the 8ms/60hz response time be lacking compared to 1ms and 144hz?

I really wish there was a thin-bezeled gaming one... I currently have an ASUS VS248H-P so I could always continue to game on that and watch things on the Dell.

I'd go with the Dell, especially if you already have a monitor.

Personally I prefer color over speed. It's not that noticeable.

Also, the Dell actually has closer to 4ms of lag for gaming. So. That should be a consideration too. You are limited by the 60hz panel though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'd choose the U2414H too. The one only edge thing you get from the VG248QE is the 144Hz refresh rate :P

Spoiler

Yeah I feel that I may go with the Dell. I've never had a 144Hz monitor and don't know of anyone who does so getting that would be taking a chance. Plus I'm in love with the thin-bezel look lol.

Also, the Dell actually has closer to 4ms of lag for gaming. So. That should be a consideration too. You are limited by the 60hz panel though.

Basically this. The U2414H has around 4ms of total lag, signal processing like a boss. As I understand it, 144hz is going to give you the most benefit in FPS games.

With all that considered, it's an IPS game I could actually play SF4 on, and the monitor that's convinced me to, at the very least, consider the jump

Response time and lag are two completely different thing. 1ms response time means the pixels change quicker, which, with the higher refresh rate, less motion blur.

So, your call. Most say colours > speed, however I'd put forth the argument that colour reproduction is only going to be vital in professional scenarios

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Unless your a high refresh is really important I cannot recommend the Asus VG24Qe, Which i have been using since November. The Colour accuracy on thse 144Hz panels are just not that great. Aside from maybe the 400-$500 Benq model.  If your gaming only then it's great but for every thing else it is subpar. 

Basically this. The U2414H has around 4ms of total lag, signal processing like a boss. As I understand it, 144hz is going to give you the most benefit in FPS games.

With all that considered, it's an IPS game I could actually play SF4 on, and the monitor that's convinced me to, at the very least, consider the jump

Response time and lag are two completely different thing. 1ms response time means the pixels change quicker, which, with the higher refresh rate, less motion blur.

So, your call. Most say colours > speed, however I'd put forth the argument that colour reproduction is only going to be vital in professional scenarios

I kinda disagree. Everyone can appreciate more accurate colors and the nicer IPS panel.

I find it pretty painful going from my PLS laptop panel to my TN desktop.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I kinda disagree. Everyone can appreciate more accurate colors and the nicer IPS panel.

Some TNs don't look horrible. I'd put the argument forward that looking nice and being accurate are two different things. I really like Samsung TVs, doesn't mean they're the most colour accurate out there

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Some TNs don't look horrible. I'd put the argument forward that looking nice and being accurate are two different things. I really like Samsung TVs, doesn't mean they're the most colour accurate out there

True, but the good ones are far and few between.

IPS has nicer colors than TN. They just do. I agree on accuracy, but in terms of nicer colors, TN just doesn't quite compare. On any of the ones I've seen.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Hey sir, I was looking for a new monitor a while back ago. I considered IPS with 60 hz refresh rate and gaming monitors with 144hz refreshrate. To be honest, I've gamed on a tn and ips panel and I don't feel any difference between the fast response time and stuff. IPS is the way to go for good viewing angles and good colour reproductions. I actually got the Dell Ultrasharp U2414H and man, for the price of 200 euro's in my country, it is an amazing monitor! I game on the monitor and also watch some movie's on it. Just a beauty! I recommend it.

Luc.

Asus Gtx 770 I Asus Z97-A I Intel i5 4690 I Corsair CX750M I Corsair 300R I 840 EVO 250 GB I WD Blue 1 TB I Razer Deathadder I CM Storm Quickfire TK I Dell Ultrasharp U2414H.

Hi, I am shopping for a new monitor and I need some assistance deciding. I realize the U2414H and VG248QE are inherently different, but here are my reasons for wanting both:

Dell U2414H:

Color reproduction

Dat bezel

ASUS VG248QE:

I REALLY like the Dell's slim bezel. I play CS:GO casually and that's why I thought the ASUS may be a better option, but I also watch a lot of TV and movies. Would I notice a great different between the color and look of these? I don't do any professional image work. And also, when playing an FPS like CS:GO, will the 8ms/60hz response time be lacking compared to 1ms and 144hz?

I really wish there was a thin-bezeled gaming one... I currently have an ASUS VS248H-P so I could always continue to game on that and watch things on the Dell.

May I suggest you add a poll. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator