970 or 990 chipset?

not even aesthetics just not blue....

This post has confused me a little, i am really not upto date with any of this, so question will my board let me really OC an i7?

and by bend i mean causes lag or make it unplayable/unenjoyable, the editing and things takes up way more of my time than games do :(

If you are worried about being able to OC an i7, buy a Xeon.  You won't have to worry about anything and it will perform much better than an FX8 in productivity and games.

OR

Buy an i7-2600k / i7-2700k

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

If you have someone willing to buy your cpu/mobo then I don't see why you should stay with it.  Yes Intel does do some power management on the cpu die it does help if you don't win the silicon lottery and get a bad chip to feed it stable power.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  (£119.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£107.93 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.78 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £286.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 20:16 BST+0100

If you don't already have one make sure you get a good CPU cooler.  Overclocking the 8350 will require it.

1 Timothy 1:15

If you have someone willing to buy your cpu/mobo then I don't see why you should stay with it.  Yes Intel does do some power management on the cpu die it does help if you don't win the silicon lottery and get a bad chip to feed it stable power.

Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Killer ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£107.93 @ More Computers)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£58.78 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £286.61

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 20:16 BST+0100

If you don't already have one make sure you get a good CPU cooler.  Overclocking the 8350 will require it.

This is a step in the wrong direction.  A downgrade.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

not even aesthetics just not blue....

This post has confused me a little, i am really not upto date with any of this, so question will my board let me really OC an i7?

and by bend i mean causes lag or make it unplayable/unenjoyable, the editing and things takes up way more of my time than games do :(

You'll have perhaps lower frames so I wouldn't go for the 8350. And yes your board will OC a i7 and it has little to do with the phase count. Keep in mind that most motherboards are actually true 4 phases, even boards like the Z87 Mpower max which costs 200$ & advertised as a 20 phase is only a 5 phase board (they use doublers to double or quadruple it and it literally does nothing). Your board probably doesnt have LLC but should be plenty for 4.5GHz which is the average most Ivy bridges achieve.

I would suggest going with the 3770K and re-using your board, but if you really want a new board well it wouldn't make much sense that you'd go with the 3770K. If youre not interested in overclocking; I suggest get the Xeon E3 1230 V3 (its just a i7 without the onboard GPU) and pair it with any board you like. If overclocking get the 4790K and again a Z97 board to your liking. 

Considering the fact that an i7-3770K cost the same as a good H97 board and xeon 1231V3 i'd go with this:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($247.94 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $322.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 15:25 EDT-0400

The cheapest i7-3770K alone cost 328$

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.98 @ NCIX US)

Total: $328.98

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 15:26 EDT-0400

If you could fin a 3770K for a deal it could be worth it otherwise re-sell your kit and get the xeon.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

@vorticalbox

This is your best option that costs the least amount of money and gets you the most performance.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpick...TW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£229.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK) <-- Optional.
Motherboard: MSI Z68A-GD80 (B3) ATX LGA1155 Motherboard  (£0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£51.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £306.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 09:07 BST+0100

If you don't already own a CPU Cooler, get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.  It is a fantastic cooler and will allow you hit achieve very good overclocks considering how inexpensive it is.

@vorticalbox

Another option is to sell your current CPU + Motherboard for 80 pounds, which turns your budget into 380 pounds.

This will allow you to buy a brand new Devil's Canyon CPU + Motherboard + PSU + CPU Cooler.  The only problem I see is that most all of the entry level Z97 motherboards that work at your budget come in the color blue.  You will have to spend closer to 400 pounds to get a different color motherboard.  Which is purely an aesthetics purchase, that money would be better spent buying a higher quality CPU Cooler.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PrQxTW
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/PrQxTW/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£239.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£67.06 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.41 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £386.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 20:43 BST+0100

Here are some other motherboard options that are more expensive, but not the color blue:

MSI Z97 G45 Gaming - 87

Asus Z97-C - 99

In what universe is going from a second gen i3 to an 8350 a down grade?

In what universe is going from a second gen i3 to an 8350 a down grade?

Because he would have to pay more money to switch platforms.  He already has an 1155 motherboard, all he needs to do is buy either a Xeon or an i7 to get much better productivity than an FX8, as well as much better gaming performance in the games he plays.

I'm not arguing than an FX is better than an i3 for productivity.  Given all of the information, it doesn't make sense for him to switch to AMD.

Because he would have to pay more money to switch platforms.  He already has an 1155 motherboard, all he needs to do is buy either a Xeon or an i7 to get much better productivity than an FX8, as well as much better gaming performance in the games he plays.

I'm not arguing than an FX is better than an i3 for productivity.  Given all of the information, it doesn't make sense for him to switch to AMD.

The majority of your suggestions cost more than mine so I fail to see how it will cost more.  It would be a nice performance bump.

The majority of your suggestions cost more than mine so I fail to see how it will cost more.  It would be a nice performance bump.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KRsxTW

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpick...TW/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK) <-- Optional.

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£51.98 @ Novatech)

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9NmJBm

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9NmJBm/by_merchant/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.96 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£54.41 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £307.20

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 21:03 BST+0100

It costs the same, and the performance with the i7 is a hell of a lot better than the FX8.  It will end up costing him more in the long run because of electricity costs, which is more with an overclocked FX8, as well as probably needing even better cooling in order to keep it at an acceptable level.

Watch this video from JayzTwoCents where he compares an FX8350 @ 4.8Ghz to an i7-3770k @ stock.  The Overclocked FX8 performs the SAME as a stock i7.  Once the i7 is overclocked, it blows the FX out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHQqpIEw7jk#t=405

Lets not forget that the games he plays benefit from the strong cores of Intel.  Going with an FX processor given the OP's situation and information is a step in the wrong direction.

Vs.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9NmJBm

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9NmJBm/by_merchant/

Total: £307.20

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-18 21:03 BST+0100

First addressing the video you keep pushing which is just Jay giving very rough estimates he didn't even render the same clip with the same setting and time it.  All I see is it performs the same but might be better with an overclock.  If the OP goes with my build he get the latest AM3+ mobo with better audio, a better NIC, sata3, m.2, and it's matches the color scheme.

FYI I had that PSU and it's a piece of junk no better than what he has.  

First addressing the video you keep pushing which is just Jay giving very rough estimates he didn't even render the same clip with the same setting and time it.  All I see is it performs the same but might be better with an overclock.  If the OP goes with my build he get the latest AM3+ mobo with better audio, a better NIC, sata3, m.2, and it's matches the color scheme.

FYI I had that PSU and it's a piece of junk no better than what he has.  

He also gets a processor with architecture dates back to 2009!

Jay does render the same clip, he does provide rough estimates, but even he is surprised by how well it did.  The FX8 @ 4.8Ghz rendered at 110% real time.  The i7-3770k renders at 65% real time once overclocked.

Get a grip on reality.

http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/Z68AG43_G3.html#hero-overview

this is the board I have.

thanks will definitely consider it, assume my MB can OC well it would make sense to dump more of my budget into the CPU.

sucks when i really want 8350 but intel are just plan better and i really want rid of the blue :(

hey want some blue i can make  Mr.white cook them for you 

if i helped you and im right give me best answer ok  ;)

So i have taken all this advice and going to leave AMD alone.

As i was planning on changing the motherboard, I think i have decided on jumping to 2011 1050, i5 4670K.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KXNTFT

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

As i was planning on changing the motherboard, I think i have decided on jumping to 2011 1050, i5 4670K.

OP why would you want a 750W powersupply and a motherboard that can't even do SLI or crossfire? 550W is PLENTY for your planned build (any single GPU), otherwise if you want SLI ready look for this motherboard it's only a tad more:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97g45gaming

You could also go with the i5-4690K but the 4670K seem quite a bit cheaper where you are..it's up to you, both perform the same but the 4690K have better thermals and might overclock easier with less heat...if you are not that much into overclocking be advised all the 4670K will hold at least 4.2ghz stable, you do need an aftermarket heatsink to overclock.

If you go with a 4690K be advised you need a Z97 chipset motherboard.. otherwise if you pick Z87 board you'll have to update(flash) the bios PRIOR to using your new CPU.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

grab a better mobo something like the Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0

If you wanne go with an FX8350.

However, i see that you play skyrim, and doing allot of productivity work.

i would recommend to save some cash, and grab a 4770K or 4790K.

Because in a game like skyrim, intel cpu´s defintely have an edge over AMD.

Normaly i would advice for a 4690K for pure gaming, but since you do allot of productivity aswell.

i would recommend an i7.

grab a better mobo something like the Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0

you missed the boat:

vorticalbox, on 19 Sept 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:snapback.png

EDIT: BTW how am i ''veteran'' with 3122 posts and you are also veteran but only 1325posts? :D

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

you missed the boat:

vorticalbox, on 19 Sept 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:snapback.png

EDIT: BTW how am i ''veteran'' with 3122 posts and you are also veteran but only 1325posts? :D

Ya but i was still editing my post lol :)

my edit:

However, i see that you play skyrim, and doing allot of productivity work.

i would recommend to save some cash, and grab a 4770K or 4790K.

Because in a game like skyrim, intel cpu´s defintely have an edge over AMD.

Normaly i would advice for a 4690K for pure gaming, but since you do allot of productivity aswell.

i would recommend an i7.

"EDIT: BTW how am i ''veteran'' with 3122 posts and you are also veteran but only 1325posts?"

Because im awesome :P

Jumping to S2011? Oo

just meant i'm jumping form my 1155 socket :)

i5 haswell should give me the performance I am after while getting rid of my blue board :P

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

just meant i'm jumping form my 1155 socket :)

i5 haswell should give me the performance I am after while getting rid of my blue board :P

well not in video rendering to be honnest.

Offcourse you will gain some improvements, if you upgrade from that i3 to the haswell i5.

But an i7 would be better for you.

well not in video rendering to be honnest.

Offcourse you will gain some improvements, if you upgrade from that i3 to the haswell i5.

But an i7 would be better for you.

By 30% averagely which is debatable justifying the 100$^.

in my opinnion if he renders allot, its worth it to go with an i7.

It will still be time saving.

For gaming its indeed not realy worth it, to grab an i7 atm.

I think if it was my money, i would maybe concider to find a 3770K for cheap.

And hold with that, till 2016´s unlocked skylake cpu´s.

30% faster and the cpu cost 30% more...sounds fair to me. :D