Stephen Fry on Apple Haters

AaronG

He lost me at this: Apple has often innovated

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

RH8kjNT.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This causes me a serious problem. Stephen Fry said it, and therefore it must obviously be true, but I can't get past the fact that Apple's build quality has fallen off a cliff in recent years and that Android is simply a better and more open operating system for mobile devices.

My wife, when I started up building PCs again, asked me why I would even bother when Apple are clearly better in every way. She was almost at the point of not wanting anything non-Apple within her field of vision - and even she is now leaving Apple (she recently switched to the Galaxy S5 and will not get another iMac or Macbook Pro when her current ones have seen out their lifespan) because of how badly they have dipped.

I agree with Fry that having a go at Apple users for simply being Apple users is ridiculous, because Apple has had tangible benefits for many users over the years (I don't know any design teams who don't use Apple, and up until the iPhone 4 there really wasn't a better smartphone on the market than what Apple was offering) - but to say Apple are still pushing innovation in a meaningful way strikes me as being misguided.

Apple products still look fantastic (take a bow, Mr.Ive), but their beauty is now very much skin-deep.

I don't understand why people care what the device-of-choice is for others. Maybe I like iPhones, and maybe I prefer Androids. Both have their pros and cons, it's up to the individual user to determine which they like more.

What exactly did they innovate?

I'm not asking this to speak ill, I'm genuinely curious because I don't see it.

I don't understand why people care what the device-of-choice is for others. Maybe I like iPhones, and maybe I prefer Androids. Both have their pros and cons, it's up to the individual user to determine which they like more.

Yup. For example, and for all my complaints about build quality issues now, I still use iPads rather than anything else. I have other tablets in the house, but I always go back to using the iPads.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I think both sides should disappear for awhile.

I think I am actually going to shut up and agree with you for once....I'm so sick of debating between Apple/Andriod & Windows/Apple

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Stephen Fry's iPhone 6 Verdict: The most exquisite mobile device ever made

Those two things dont match. Lost me at that.

lel

Why does everyone always tag him, I never get tagged in Frozen stuff....

I FEEL EXCLUDED

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Simply because you are the destroyer of threads ;)

I guess so.

Yeah this was not intended as an Apple, Android war. No I do not think Apple has invented anything but with matched hardware and software the driver level is both very secure from viruses and none registered software.

Everything has its negatives and positives. Although I agree with Linus' point on the sticky out camera on the 6, I do not think Jobs will be rolling in his grave any time soon.

I'm quite sad you guys took it that way and feel the need to pick a side and fight a case.

Perhaps take a leaf out of Tim Minchin's book and join me in sitting on the fence, its really quite nice up here.

Apple, what I can say… I still dislike the brand, not the products but the brand because of how they conduct themselves. You might want to argue that every corporation does shady BS and that’s certainly true. Truthfully though, apple has become king at shady practices, at deceiving consumers with their “cool” ads. Also, to be clear, there are many companies I’m just not buying from because of their practices. Apple just so happens to be a company that’s easy to avoid because I’m perfectly satisfied with the competition.

They’re getting the fanatics to act as if the last generation of iPhones are obsolete the second there’s a new one. They make fine products, but they’re still a horrible company. At least in my opinion. So I do business with the less bad ones.

They’re not innovating anymore, it’s the same product with a slightly different box. I have to give it to their marketing team though; not only does it brainwash people, it’s the plague of this generation.

Also, iTunes is a poorly coded disaster. 

THE CULT OF APPLE!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

i had a nexus 5 and was in love with it until a rock kicked up while i was riding my bike and destroyed the screen and made it unusable, grabbed a 5c for really cheap since i needed a phone. it felt like i went back 2 years in technology, currently waiting for the next vanilla android device to come out to buy that and ditch this iphone.

CPU: AMD fx-6200 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA 970a ud3p RAM: Team Vulcan 2x4GB 1600 DDR3 GPU: HIS R9 270x 1160/1500 PSU: Logisys 750w 80 Plus Bronze Storage: Kingston 120gb V300/ Western Digital Black/Seagate Barracuda

And as broad as the term 'invent' is I could argue that Apple invented the Mac and the iPhone.

I could also argue that the TI did not invent firewire, because the system is made of cables and transistors that TI did not invent.

I love TI and have a TI Nspire CX CAS which is a really nice calculator

Apple, what I can say… I still dislike the brand, not the products but the brand because of how they conduct themselves. You might want to argue that every corporation does shady BS and that’s certainly true. Truthfully though, apple has become king at shady practices, at deceiving consumers with their “cool” ads. Also, to be clear, there are many companies I’m just not buying from because of their practices. Apple just so happens to be a company that’s easy to avoid because I’m perfectly satisfied with the competition.

They’re getting the fanatics to act as if the last generation of iPhones are obsolete the second there’s a new one. They make fine products, but they’re still a horrible company. At least in my opinion. So I do business with the less bad ones.

They’re not innovating anymore, it’s the same product with a slightly different box. I have to give it to their marketing team though; not only does it brainwash people, it’s the plague of this generation.

Also, iTunes is a poorly coded disaster. 

THE CULT OF APPLE!

Yes it is a shame and I often do not like the way they conduct themselves. At the moment I really love the integration and hope windows manages to pull off something just as spectacular.

From my perspective Apple is so far the best at creating a system that works without as much complication.

But business will always be business, until the whole planet decides that money is not the object to life and it is really just the context and separation that gives them power, then maybe we can have nice things and nice people.

SOL (Standard of living) and QOL (Quality of life) are both measures of wealth. But communism will never work.

Truthfully though, apple has become king at shady practices

I find it funny how an Apple employee will have absolutely no idea what is going on in the company unless they are at the top of the chain, it is all very secretive.

But from what I've heard that is exactly how the American government is run. Ours too (being a brit), but you have to admit the American government is king of shady practices it hides from its citizens and functions very highly because of it.

Okay I was a little harsh on 'the king' China, North Korea and a lot of the east are pretty bad too.

You know who I am not seeing here?

@Builder

Be right back, making some popcorn.

He was invited to the event itself because Apple knows he has a soft spot for their products. Good on them, good on him, if theres one celebrity voice i trust it's his. While his lack of understanding on the tech really shows in his article, i can't fault anything he does, because he's motherfucking stephen fry.

He better make more qi tho.

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

“Baaah you’re all sheep,”

After that bit i started reading it all in general Melchett's voice. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Erm Innovate, does not mean invent...
This is the definition provided by google

"make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

This is something apple are great at, they did not invent touch screens, but innovated and created the iPhone, this spawning smartphones as we have them now, they did not invent tablets, but look what happened to tablets once apple created the iphone

They THE experts in taking technology and implementing it in easy to use, well built, powerful products.

Innovation is not invention. Evolution is just as important as Revolution

EDIT: also he said "most exquisite." not "best" -  exquisite means beautiful, elegant, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm trying to read this in Stephen Fry's voice with a straight face and I can't do it...

You know who I am not seeing here?

@Builder

Be right back, making some popcorn.

Oh, boy...

post-77647-0-35054900-1411131042.jpg

Can I share some of your popcorn? You can push the buttons on the Builder remote this time.