NEED GTX 980 NOW!

CostcoSamples

This thread is ridiculous, preposterous, and anti logical and a logical fallacy.  Thread in nut shell. "If you are not supper stoked about nvidia GPUs then you must think .... "GPUs are dumb".

Gtx 980 + aftermarket cooler will likely be 650-700 dollar -> 50% more for R9 295X and get 100% more performance.

and 300% the heat...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

and 300% the heat...

The 295x2 is cooler than anything from nvidias high end inventory.

No one here is talking about a $999 GPU...

And no, its not. The gpu core temp may be lower but it does still output the heat. Which is 500 watts at load, vs the 180 watts of the 980. It is actually significantly hotter.

But lets not start another Nvidia vs AMD flame war, again.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Philbert.....999 for a high end dual card liquid cooling set up is as cheap as it can possibly get. It's a dual card set up with a highly effective and warrantied liquid cooling solution out of the box. It beats pretty much every other SLI and crossfire set up out there in most benchmarks and does so keeping the card cooler than any other crossfire or SLI set up, while venting the heat outside of your case.

It does draw a lot of power, but then again so would any other liquid cooled dual card set up. At least with the 295x AMD offered something new and exciting at a price/performance ratio that cant be beat. The gtx 980 seems to offer nothing new but marketing hype.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Philbert.....999 for a high end dual card liquid cooling set up is as cheap as it can possibly get. It's a dual card set up with a highly effective and warrantied liquid cooling solution out of the box. It beats pretty much every other SLI and crossfire set up out there in most benchmarks and does so keeping the card cooler than any other crossfire or SLI set up, while venting the heat outside of your case.

It does draw a lot of power, but then again so would any other liquid cooled dual card set up. At least with the 295x AMD offered something new and exciting at a price/performance ratio that cant be beat. The gtx 980 seems to offer nothing new but marketing hype.

I am not talking down the 295 at all. Technically it is an amazing card. But that does not mean that it is right for everyone.

Also If you use the quote button people will get a notification when you are replying directly to a comment. :)

You were.

And no, its not. The gpu core temp may be lower but it does still output the heat. Which is 500 watts at load, vs the 180 watts of the 980. It is actually significantly hotter.

Yes and it also scales along with significantly more performance. Funny how that works.

I've got a 570, I will more than likely upgrade to a 980. Is it going to be earth shattering? No. Is it an improvement? I would say yes.

I will still be holding out for the aftermarket coolers though. :)

Well, if I had a 570 I would upgrade too.

I once had one of these, now I've got this.

You were.

Yes and it also scales along with significantly more performance. Funny how that works.

Way to contradict yourself in back to back posts.

You are free to spend your money on anything you want. If you want to buy a 295, by all means, buy one. But please dont get in everyone's face when they dont want to.

I did not contradict myself you did. R9 295x2 is a very cool running card. Weather it as you try to claim outputs significantly more heat is an inane argument as the heat is handled in an extremely efficient manor in such a way as to not affect other components in the rig.

The quote button doesn't work for me. Why I have no idea. I cant paste quotes or links on here either. Its highly annoying.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

and 300% the heat...

R9 295x: /care has watercooling + double the performance for only +65% in price

crossfire R9 290: /care if +50% performance

/repeat

The quote button doesn't work for me. Why I have no idea. I cant paste quotes or links on here either. Its highly annoying.

Must support this

But lets not start another Nvidia vs AMD flame war, again.

Yes Agreeing that it is indeed hotter and it also scales along with significantly more performance. Funny how that works.

Unless I am reading this wrong. Your two comments are in direct contradiction.

As for how the heat is handled, you seem to be still a bit confused as to how thermodynamic's work. The 295 does indeed use a different method of cooling, a liquid cooler. You are even correct that this is a more efficient way of transferring heat, but you are still off on the whole heat sink idea.

How most GPU coolers work, is a simple contact transfer of heat from the GPU and various other parts of the card, to a very small heatsink. This little heat sink is connected to the larger heat radiator via heat pipes. This radiator (non liquid filled) then transfers the heat to the surrounding air, and thus cooling the GPU.

How the 295 works is similar. There is a small heatsink in contact with the GPU that has water running through it. This heat sink is then connected by tubing to the radiator (liquid filled) where the radiator transfers the heat to the surrounding air. Here's the important part, Tho only place where you see an increase in efficiency is the transfer of the heat from the GPU attached heat sink to the radiator. It is simply better at moving the heat around, IT DOES NOT IN ANY SIGNIFICANT WAY aid in dissipating the heat into the air, that is all the work of the radiator. 

So no matter how you cut this cake, the heat is still being released into your case. I am not now, nor have I ever, been arguing that the 980 is going to be higher performance than the 295. The 295 is almost certainly significantly more powerful of a card, but that is not what we are talking about here.

And if you dont think the 295 will heat up your case, I suggest you go watch the OC3D video on the card.

You are free to spend your money on anything you want. If you want to buy a 295, by all means, buy one. But please dont get in everyone's face when they dont want to.

OMG! U don't want. *moves to stand in front of u*

R9 295x: /care has watercooling + double the performance for only +65% in price

crossfire R9 290: /care if +50% performance

/repeat

If all you are interested in is raw FPS, it is a better option, no doubt.

As for how the heat is handled, you seem to be still a bit confused as to how thermodynamic's work. The 295 does indeed use a different method of cooling, a liquid cooler. You are even correct that this is a more efficient way of transferring heat, but you are still off on the whole heat sink idea.

How most GPU coolers work, is a simple contact transfer of heat from the GPU and various other parts of the card, to a very small heatsink. This little heat sink is connected to the larger heat radiator via heat pipes. This radiator (non liquid filled) then transfers the heat to the surrounding air, and thus cooling the GPU.

How the 295 works is similar. There is a small heatsink in contact with the GPU that has water running through it. This heat sink is then connected by tubing to the radiator (liquid filled) where the radiator transfers the heat to the surrounding air. Here's the important part, Tho only place where you see an increase in efficiency is the transfer of the heat from the GPU attached heat sink to the radiator. It is simply better at moving the heat around, IT DOES NOT IN ANY SIGNIFICANT WAY aid in dissipating the heat into the air, that is all the work of the radiator. 

So no matter how you cut this cake, the heat is still being released into your case. I am not now, nor have I ever, been arguing that the 980 is going to be higher performance than the 295. The 295 is almost certainly significantly more powerful of a card, but that is not what we are talking about here.

And if you dont think the 295 will heat up your case, I suggest you go watch the OC3D video on the card.

1. Radiator mainly directs the hot air to the outside of the case because a fan blows it to there.

2. If your case can't handle the residual heat your case / case cooling = fail.

I did not contradict myself you did. R9 295x2 is a very cool running card. Weather it as you try to claim outputs significantly more heat is an inane argument as the heat is handled in an extremely efficient manor in such a way as to not affect other components in the rig.

I am so confused about this argument...  

the 295 generates a lot of heat, but the cooling system is designed to remove it from the card and push it out of the case in a very efficient manner.  thus, we can say the card runs cool.  The heat is not magically transported into another dimension, but rather, it is moved from one place to another.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1. Radiator mainly directs the hot air to the outside of the case because a fan blows it to there.

2. If your case can't handle the residual heat your case / case cooling = fail.

1. Depends on how you have your radiators, I have an H110 in the roof, and the hoses are not long enough to reach the front of the case. Therefore If I want to continue to use the normal airflow patterns, the radiator would have to be pulling air into the case.

2. See #1

No need to get worked up over a little GPU disagreement. Deep breath. :)

I am so confused about this argument...  

the 295 generates a lot of heat, but the cooling system is designed to remove it from the card and push it out of the case in a very efficient manner.  thus, we can say the card runs cool.  The heat is not magically transported into another dimension, but rather, it is moved from one place to another.  

Yes the card is cool. Don't let the nvidia fanboy's try and fool you because all they got to prop up their opinions and brand pride is heat LOl. If you want high performance there is going to be more heat generated period.

Another nvidiot here trying to claim nvidia is better cause of less heat LOL. Sorry but the 295x2 is a great card and nothing you try and claim will change that. Can;t handle the heat get out of the kitchen these are big boy GPUs.

1. Depends on how you have your radiators, I have an H110 in the roof, and the hoses are not long enough to reach the front of the case. Therefore If I want to continue to use the normal airflow patterns, the radiator would have to be pulling air into the case.

2. See #1

No need to get worked up over a little GPU disagreement. Deep breath. :)

3. Not everybody has the same case.

4. iMad @ Nvidia. They COULD have created a way better card, but they most likely didn't just because they thought of their pockets being more important than creating a true worthy card (with which they would most likely even still make as much - better card = more sales)

The hot air around the radiator from a 295x2 is still pushed or pulled by the fan outside of the case, where it would have zero effect on the components of your computer, so in that way the amount of heat generated by the card and dissipated by the radiator is pretty much irrelevant, unless for some odd reason you elect to have the fan pull air from outside of the case through the radiator and into your case, but I would see no reason to do that(although it might slightly decrease your GPU temp even more). 

The card itself still runs cooler than just about every air cooled high end card out there, and the components would be subjected to less heat than they would by any air cooled GPU. In the winter you could even use the heat pushed out of the case to help keep your room warm ;).

Obviously the 295x2 isn't for everybody, but it does make sense for anybody looking to build an SLI/Crossfire set up from scratch or wants THE fastest card out there and the card most capable of handling 4k.

If you already have a high end card then yes it makes more sense to just SLI/Crossfire it, but then you have to worry about keeping the cards and your case cool, something you don't have to worry about with the 295x2.

The hot air around the radiator from a 295x2 is still pushed or pulled by the fan outside of the case, where it would have zero effect on the components of your computer, so in that way the amount of heat generated by the card and dissipated by the radiator is pretty much irrelevant. 

The card itself still runs cooler than just about every air cooled high end card out there, and the components would be subjected to less heat than they would by any air cooled GPU. In the winter you could even use the heat pushed out of the case to help keep your room warm ;).

Obviously the 295x2 isn't for everybody, but it does make sense for anybody looking to build an SLI/Crossfire set up from scratch or wants THE fastest card out there and the card most capable of handling 4k.

If you already have a high end card then yes it makes more sense to just SLI/Crossfire it, but then you have to worry about keeping the card and your case cool, something you don't have to worry about with the 295x2.

I also thought about that :D Summer can be a bit less fun, but max like 30 hot days / year where i live anyway.